Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

66 slider
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
orangebug60guy
Twin #1

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 66 slider Reply with quote

totemwesty wrote:
Such a cool bus and great camp / show photos. Did you get any parts from the swap or just check it out?

I sold a roof rack and then bought some bus rear bumper overriders. Looking for smalls like misc brake parts and nut/bolts. Cash talks bush*t walks as I always say.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
orangebug60guy
Twin #1

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 66 slider Reply with quote

I finally found the window latch for my bus. My friend Lance was able to hook me up with this “split bus unobtaninum”. I’ve owned my bus for 13 years and I’ve never been able to find one. I just need to clean it up, make the metal piece that attaches to the window, and buy a piece of glass. I’m really excited to have this piece.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rusbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Who.Me? wrote:
KWZ wrote:
Love this bus. Not to hijack, but anyone else notice this RHD standard slider in the vintage pics?

Hippies on a field trip to Stonehenge circa 197x

Reversed

I think the gas door is hidden by the paint in that area

I could not read this thread without getting caught up in the unresolved mystery on page 3. Is that a RHD Slider with reversed writing on the door? Or a reversed photo? My first clue: Would two people in a row really be carrying bags with their left hands? Lefties make up only 10% of the population, so not impossible, but unlikely. But the definitive proof is the blue panel van. In the original image, the gas filler is clearly on the left rear fender. If we could determine the model, we would know which side the gas filler is on. It took a bit of searching various models of panel vans, but eventually I stumbled on the answer: That's an Austin A35 Panel Van, clearly visible here with the gas filler on the right rear fender:

So there you go, the original image was reversed, and that slider bus is a LHD model with cargo door on the right.

Jack, I'm glad the engine is working out for you!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rusbus wrote:

I could not read this thread without getting caught up in the unresolved mystery on page 3. Is that a RHD Slider with reversed writing on the door? Or a reversed photo? My first clue: Would two people in a row really be carrying bags with their left hands? Lefties make up only 10% of the population, so not impossible, but unlikely. But the definitive proof is the blue panel van. In the original image, the gas filler is clearly on the left rear fender. If we could determine the model, we would know which side the gas filler is on. It took a bit of searching various models of panel vans, but eventually I stumbled on the answer: That's an Austin A35 Panel Van, clearly visible here with the gas filler on the right rear fender:

<>
So there you go, the original image was reversed, and that slider bus is a LHD model with cargo door on the right.

Jack, I'm glad the engine is working out for you!

Thank you for your mad detective skills!
orangebug60guy
Twin #1

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: 66 slider Reply with quote

This spring I finally ditched the merged header system for a stock exhaust. It is so much better. Quiet, runs cooler, and no leaks.

Also fixed my rear bumper. The passenger side over rider had stripped out so I welded a new bracket on.

Enjoying the spring.

Driving over the Cape Cod Canal on the way to my brothers wedding:

Link

crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 66 slider Reply with quote

Jack, driving the Slider or Tub Bus to TerryFeild ?? Laughing

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
orangebug60guy
Twin #1

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 66 slider Reply with quote

crukab wrote:
Jack, driving the Slider or Tub Bus to TerryFeild ?? Laughing

Trying real hard to bring both. The slider is a road warrior. Tried and true. Tub bus has like 10 miles on it.
orangebug60guy
Twin #1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: 66 slider Reply with quote

The bus has been off the road since last month. I was doing my spring time driving around town and noticed one day that the air cleaner horn + rubber tube was not connected to the oil bath. For some reason no matter what I did it wouldn't reach... Think It was also running kind of hot and needed a spring tune up. I crawled under the bus to start doing a valve adjustment and noticed this:

The bottom of the drivers side frame horn has rusted out. Shocked Causing the engine to sag. This is why the air cleaner tube wasn't reaching. So I called around to the local bus guys and Clay had the metal I needed.

I have been sidelined with this task. I thought that I should sell the bus and be done with it. I've had my bus for 15 years and only took it off the road once to rebuild the front axle. This is going to be a huge project. Transmission + engine cleanup. Any tips on this would be appreciated and helpful.

Last edited by orangebug60guy on Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
edgood1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 66 slider Reply with quote

How is the other horn? I think cutting out the horn section off from the torsion tube and the lower support member is the way to go....it's actually not that terrible of a job with the engine and transmission out. You should have good access while sitting in the engine bay. If the other side horn is questionable ,I'd consider replacing both horns and the support member as a unit . I'd inspect all the surrounding metal too while you're in there.

we don't live too far apart. ( i think we've met at some of the shows) I can help out however I can.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 66 slider Reply with quote

Jack, let me know if you need the storage we talked about.

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
orangebug60guy
Twin #1

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: 66 slider Reply with quote

Update...last fall my buddy helped me weld up the bus.

removed engine and "hung" the trans. We only had the shop for one day so we didn't remove the rear axle. Found the damage.

chopped and cut the donor piece

Out with the old. Pretty bad. Turned into a nice boat anchor.

Welded it in. Nothing fancy.

edgood1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: 66 slider Reply with quote

Nice!!!!!

I hope to see you crusin' in that bus this summer!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: