Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1966 bugatti replica wheels
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
narrowfarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:32 pm    Post subject: 1966 bugatti replica wheels Reply with quote

Hello, I have a 1966 VW Bugatti replica. It has the wide five wheel pattern on it. King pin front end. I have a chance to get Ford model A spoke wheels ,16 inch and would like to put them on my car like I have seen in many photos here . How do I go about that??? I have been going through the car and correcting a lot of little problems and getting close to doing the wheels. any ideas? thanks !!!
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 bugatti replica wheels Reply with quote

No idea but post some pictures please!
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 bugatti replica wheels Reply with quote

Most Bugatti replicas used Jackman 8 spoke wheels. You would need to change to 4 bolt drums to use them

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

They were similar to the originals

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2061617
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 bugatti replica wheels Reply with quote

However, if you really want to use wire spoke wheels redrill your drums to 5 X 5.5 and use this adapter

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/the-toolbox/ford-wire-wheels/28813

oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 bugatti replica wheels Reply with quote

Man I never tire of looking at those and dreaming! Thanks!

25 years ago I ended up with a pair of Datson 240Z genuine wire spoke wheels. I had plans of building a VW trike with them on but life took a hard left and they were disposed of along with several other dreams...
narrowfarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 bugatti replica wheels Reply with quote

Will those wheel adapters fit the wide five VW drums? do I have to get them drilled and can a local machine shop do that? I plan on just driving the car locally. Thanks !
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 bugatti replica wheels Reply with quote

The problem with adaptors is going to be that when you are done the tires will be hanging out there in the wind and not under the fenders where they belong. I am sure I have seen brake drums advertised that have no bolt holes so you can drill them to suite your choice of wheels. Then you could use your Model A wheels? Not sure what bolt pattern they have.
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 bugatti replica wheels Reply with quote

narrowfarm wrote:
Will those wheel adapters fit the wide five VW drums? do I have to get them drilled and can a local machine shop do that? I plan on just driving the car locally. Thanks !

If you choose to drill blank brake drums, make sure there would a wide enough material flat area to accommodate a 5 X 5.5" bolt pattern. That's a larger circle than the usual 5 X 4.75"

You could get a set of 5 X 205mm steel adapters very cheap and have them redrilled(by a machine shop) from 5 X 4.75" to 5 X 5.5". I've checked and know they'd be large enough.

They would add about 1" of additional offset on each side. You have cycle type fenders on the Bugatti and it wouldn't be too difficult to move them out farther over the wheels

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1822576

oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 bugatti replica wheels Reply with quote

Not sure I would trust stamped sheet metal adaptors on the road. Parade car only I'm thinking so they could work for you.
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 bugatti replica wheels Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
Not sure I would trust stamped sheet metal adaptors on the road. Parade car only I'm thinking so they could work for you.

Check the thickness of the steel in a VW bug wheel center. Its about 1/8".

Those steel adapters are 3/16".

Sometimes the studs spin or even pull out, they add extra offset and bearing side load, and they all probably add some runout, but have you actually ever heard of a stamped steel wheel adapter just breaking? I haven't

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/archive/index.php/o-t--t-321141--.html
914sgofast2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 bugatti replica wheels Reply with quote

I believe the Model A wire wheels used the same lug bolt spacing as the VW 5 lug wheels! No need for hub adaptors with the Model A wire wheels.
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:09 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 bugatti replica wheels Reply with quote

914sgofast2 wrote:
I believe the Model A wire wheels used the same lug bolt spacing as the VW 5 lug wheels! No need for hub adaptors with the Model A wire wheels.

Model A wheel bolt circle is 5.5". 5 bolt VW is 205mm (8.07")
YDBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:14 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 bugatti replica wheels Reply with quote

BL3Manx wrote:
oprn wrote:

Sometimes the studs spin or even pull out, they add extra offset and bearing side load, and they all probably add some runout, but have you actually ever heard of a stamped steel wheel adapter just breaking? I haven't

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/archive/index.php/o-t--t-321141--.html

The adapters don't break, well at least the stamped ones I was using on my '64 baja didn't:

'64 baja
'60 dune buggy
'73 Personenkraftwagen Type 182 "Thing"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 bugatti replica wheels Reply with quote

BL3Manx wrote:

1/8" thicker than a stock wheel? On 5 tiny tabs compared to a full circle wheel center with raised stress flanges? You don't have to be an engineer to see the difference there!

I will never have a stamped steel adapter fail because I just simply won't use them on a street driven car.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: