Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

vin question, have searched no answer ..
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ingenbremser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:26 am    Post subject: vin question, have searched no answer .. Reply with quote

hello form Norway, i just purchased a single cab Project. but having a hard time decoding the vin number.
any help ?
i do not understand, or find the correct way of Reading the vin number list here.
my vin is ; 205655
as far as i understand, it is a 56 car..
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Skim
Rants Master

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: vin question, have searched no answer .. Reply with quote

What are the M code plate numbers? M code plate located on the wall behind your seat.
1954 Sunroof
1959 Lowlight Ghia vert
1960 Lt Grey Double Cab SMZ LEGIT
1963 Deluxe Turkis Walk Thru 15 Window OG Paint
ronjonlasvegas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: vin question, have searched no answer .. Reply with quote

So it looks like the single cab was built in October 1956, that would make it a 1957 model year. I am pretty sure that was built before M code plates were offered so if you need more details about options and exact build date you would need to request the Birth Certificate from VW.

Here is the link to the build date charts on this site.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/chassisdating.php
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: vin question, have searched no answer .. Reply with quote

ingenbremser wrote:
hello form Norway, i just purchased a single cab Project. but having a hard time decoding the vin number.
any help ?
i do not understand, or find the correct way of Reading the vin number list here.
my vin is ; 205655

There is no de-coding. It is just a straight serial number.
The VIN 205655 means it is the 205655th type 2 buildt.

The VIN chart linked above lists the last VIN buildt each month.

Quote:

Sep 203 492
Oct 210 631

205655 was buildt after the last bus in Sept 1956.
It was buildt before the last bus buildt in October 1956.
You have a October 1956 type 2 !

No information is given about options or model or destination or anything else. I can see it is a truck, and it looks dove blue, and euro spec from the semaphores, but that's not in the VIN. It should say type 26 on the VIN plate.

It is pre-M-code plate; to get more info you must have the birth certificate.
62DoKaGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: vin question, have searched no answer .. Reply with quote

Clara wrote:
ingenbremser wrote:
any help ?
my vin is ; 205655

There is no de-coding. It is just a straight serial number.
The VIN 205655 means it is the 205655th type 2 buildt.

The VIN chart linked above lists the last VIN buildt each month.

Quote:

Sep 203 492
Oct 210 631

205655 was buildt after the last bus in Sept 1956.
It was buildt before the last bus buildt in October 1956.
You have a October 1956 type 2 !

No information is given about options or model or destination or anything else. I can see it is a truck, and it looks dove blue, and euro spec from the semaphores, but that's not in the VIN. It should say type 26 on the VIN plate.

It is pre-M-code plate; to get more info you must have the birth certificate.

And expanding upon what Ron and Clara have said, here is the link to the VW Birth Certificate order process, which could take between six to eight months, more or less depending on their work load: https://www.automuseum-volkswagen.de/en/certificates-and-data-sheets.html

If memory serves me, mine took 8-10 months, but that gives you time to begin the dirty work in bringing that beauty back to life! Cheers.

4/62 Double Cab
5/61 Panel (sold)
4/59 Single Cab (sold)
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: vin question, have searched no answer .. Reply with quote

Probably left the production line a within day or so after mine (2053xx, left the production line on Monday 8th October 1956).

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: vin question, have searched no answer .. Reply with quote

Another tidbit hinted by Clara when she said you have an Oct. '56 truck...

VW if I recall correctly did not recognize the then-rather-new way of dating cars for the upcoming model year in '56. So I believe your Oct. truck is truly a 1956 truck- the last year VW did this. In contrast a truck built in Oct. of '57 would be a '58.

PLEASE experts- correct me if I just typed out of my neck. Cool

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
ingenbremser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: vin question, have searched no answer .. Reply with quote

wow ! thank you all so much Smile no m-code plate on it as far as i can see, but 56 Smile happy now Very Happy will order Birth sertificate. as far as i could find out, the car was sold New locally here where i live, and has had two owners witch used it, and two including me after it was put away in the early 70s.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: vin question, have searched no answer .. Reply with quote

hitest wrote:

VW if I recall correctly did not recognize the then-rather-new way of dating cars for the upcoming model year in '56. So I believe your Oct. truck is truly a 1956 truck- the last year VW did this. In contrast a truck built in Oct. of '57 would be a '58.

Here is a whole thread on that subject, started by non other than The Lind himself.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...ight=model
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: vin question, have searched no answer .. Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
hitest wrote:

Here is a whole thread on that subject, started by non other than The Lind himself.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...ight=model

Thanks for the reminder and clarity Mr. Cdennisg! I was off by a whole year. Kind of like my wife's birthday I guess.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: vin question, have searched no answer .. Reply with quote

ingenbremser wrote:
any help ?
my vin is ; 205655

Just to be sure, we are talking about the VIN in the engine compartment right?
There is a body number, which is the number located behind the front seat back which is there just to confuse things.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ingenbremser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: vin question, have searched no answer .. Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
ingenbremser wrote:
any help ?
my vin is ; 205655

Just to be sure, we are talking about the VIN in the engine compartment right?
There is a body number, which is the number located behind the front seat back which is there just to confuse things.
yes, the vin in the engine compartment, on the right side. Smile
ingenbremser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:07 am    Post subject: Re: vin question, have searched no answer .. Reply with quote

back of speedometer Smile

Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: vin question, have searched no answer .. Reply with quote

looks like the date code on the speedo (left side of picture) says 9 56, so that's likely the original part to the truck.

interesting choice for a second pic.
Any others? Where's the motor?
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: vin question, have searched no answer .. Reply with quote

Looks like even the speedo cable is year stamped.
62DoKaGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: vin question, have searched no answer .. Reply with quote

ingenbremser wrote:
back of speedometer Smile

And with an original, date-marked "56" cable nut...it's the little things that will almost never be seen that, when correct, make it that much more badass.

4/62 Double Cab
5/61 Panel (sold)
4/59 Single Cab (sold)
ingenbremser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: vin question, have searched no answer .. Reply with quote

Clara wrote:
looks like the date code on the speedo (left side of picture) says 9 56, so that's likely the original part to the truck.

interesting choice for a second pic.
Any others? Where's the motor?
there are a few Pictures in the gallery. engine is missing from this car. prevous owner told it was mowed over to a 54 bug. that car is mostly buried Close to where i found the sika. so trying to get permission to dig it up next summer.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: