Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

55 - 57 taillight seals ... Possible reproduction source
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
villemi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:02 pm    Post subject: 55 - 57 taillight seals ... Possible reproduction source Reply with quote

Every 55-57 karmann ghia's owner knows how it is difficult to find taillight seals.
They are very rare and very very expensive when they are in a good shape or NOS.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I've bought a set of original tallight seals in japan (thank you Patrick Baptist and Yoshi for your help) tand I want te reproduce these seals.

The first step is to make a 3D scan of the seals

I've contacted a rubber molding manufacturer

After scanning they make a 3d print for a prototype

If it's ok they'll' make the mold for new seals

I'd like to know who is interested by this project
higher the number of new seals will be manufactured lower the price will be.

PS: excuse my bad translation
otahuhu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 55 - 57 taillight seals ... Possible reproduction source Reply with quote

Hi Villemi, I would be interested in a set or two of seals...

However, I don't understand or see the need for a scan or print etc. As someone who has had decades of experience casting and fabricating in the marine industry and then in the film industry, I think you are potentially overcomplicating and blowing out the price of a simple thing...

If I were you, I would be making a simple silicon box mould from a set of nos seals and then casting them in a self skinning urethane foam. This is a very cheap and simple mould to make, you could expect to de-mould a set of rubbers every hour and you will capture ALL of the nuances of the original product. Very simple, very cost effective and a perfect copy of the original product.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
villemi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 55 - 57 taillight seals ... Possible reproduction source Reply with quote

Hello,

I'm looking for an original set of lowlight taillight seals in a good shape because mine are not very good.
Are you ok to send these seals to Luis (lajs57) to make a mold for a reproduction of these seals ? (like the floors mats)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: