Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Carb staying on high RPM after accelerating.
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Carb staying on high RPM after accelerating. Reply with quote

Most every modern factory fuel injection throttle body comes equipped with 2 return springs on the throttle shaft. No matter what country they come from.

Stock dual springs are acceptable for Off Road race Tech.

The setup in the photo above would pass in terms of having dual springs. But if I found that on a race car, I would tell the racer to fix the interference before I would accept it for race.

If the old roll pin is made of brass, it can be drilled out. If the old roll pin is steel. it might be difficult to drill out without making a mess of that part of the carb body. I had a carb years ago that the roll pin wobbled a while before it fell out. It left a big hole. So I drilled it a little larger even, then used a larger roll pin with a little rat tile file work in the slot in the fast idle cam so the cam would come back to the proper point.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bub II
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Carb staying on high RPM after accelerating. Reply with quote

Ok, I figured out my choke element is ok. It was either assembled incorrectly, was adjusted incorrectly or it shifted after it was initially set?
I’ve set it temporarily and will further fine tune it as I get time.
I think the old Roll pin is broken off, so I will hope it is brass so I can drill it out.
Seems like a brass Roll pin is a lose/win situation, lose because it breaks, win because it might be possible to drill it out. Is there a reason a steel Roll pin wouldn’t be a better option?
Thanks for the info!
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Carb staying on high RPM after accelerating. Reply with quote

Bub II wrote:
Ok, I figured out my choke element is ok. It was either assembled incorrectly, was adjusted incorrectly or it shifted after it was initially set?
I’ve set it temporarily and will further fine tune it as I get time.
I think the old Roll pin is broken off, so I will hope it is brass so I can drill it out.
Seems like a brass Roll pin is a lose/win situation, lose because it breaks, win because it might be possible to drill it out. Is there a reason a steel Roll pin wouldn’t be a better option?
Thanks for the info!

There is no pressure on the roll pin. It just acts as a stop, so brass would be fine. I have never seen one of those broken off before, so just make life easier on yourself and dont over engineer it.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bub II
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Carb staying on high RPM after accelerating. Reply with quote

I thought it was odd that mine was broke or missing.
When I did a general search for replacing carb choke Roll pin - the first YouTube video that popped up was about replacing a missing carb choke Roll pin. 😂
Where is the best place to buy a brass Roll pin if I’m able to drill mine out?
Thanks.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Carb staying on high RPM after accelerating. Reply with quote

Not sure if brass roll pins exist, all I have ever seen are steel...

Might use a piece of brazing rod (dowel pin?) or even a "screw" in place of roll pin... After all it just keeps lever indexed..

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Carb staying on high RPM after accelerating. Reply with quote

I do believe the roll pin is steel. I seem to remember seeing them with rust on them, but I can't remember ever removing or replacing one. Can't see any advantage to brass and it would seem to be too soft.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Carb staying on high RPM after accelerating. Reply with quote

I've encountered Solex carbs with steel pins and others with brass pins. The brass pins were solid rod, like 1/16" diameter. Brass pins are probably hard brass (not all brass is all that soft).
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bub II
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Carb staying on high RPM after accelerating. Reply with quote

I finally got a minute to drill out the old Roll pin and replace it with a steel roll pin.
It totally fixed my original issue.
Now it starts, idles, returns to idle properly after rapid acceleration and then backing off the throttle pedal.
Thanks to all for your replies and especially the pictures.
As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words and the pics definitely helped me zero in on the problem location.
Now I need to unsnarl the wiring for the lights 😜
Bub II
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Carb staying on high RPM after accelerating. Reply with quote

I finally got a minute to drill out the old Roll pin and replace it with a steel roll pin.
It totally fixed my original issue.
Now it starts, idles, returns to idle properly after rapid acceleration and then backing off the throttle pedal.
Thanks to all for your replies and especially the pictures.
As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words and the pics definitely helped me zero in on the problem location.
Now I need to unsnarl the wiring for the lights 😜
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: