Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1968 Deluxe Build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

slamma damma
Laughing
Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

Tubs came out great! Nice work!

67 Beetle (TBD)

74 Transporter (EJ25 Swapped) - Build Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

See all my VW pics on Instagram @ vee_dub_nut
Trashman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

Vee Dub Nut wrote:

Thanks! How your slam job going?
Trashman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

Started working on the interior again since in the upcoming month I plan on buying the wood for the interior. The interior panels might be something that I slowly plug away on but I want to buy all the wood at once so that it all matches. But I recently purchased a westy table for what I thought was a good price and free shipping! It has the leg on it, but its missing the hinge/hinges. By the looks of it both off the hinges were ripped off of it somehow. So where the hinges are supposed to go there isn't a lot of meat to attach to. What I ended up doing to address this problem was I used a router to remove 1/4" deep of material so I could add some new wood with a nice flat surface to glue to. I think it turned out great and now I can throw some hinges on there and it will be nice and sturdy.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

crustybus1972
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

Nice bus... and nice work on the bus man!!! Thanks for sharing your progress/ journey!
AirKooledGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:57 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

Love the build. Putting in my tubs this month, what tools did you use to cut out stock sheet metal?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Trashman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

Oldbikedoc wrote:
Love the build. Putting in my tubs this month, what tools did you use to cut out stock sheet metal?

Thanks! I used an angle grinder and a body saw.

BTW the body saw that harbor freight sells is complete garbage, would not buy. Their reciprocating saw (sawzall) seems decent enough though.
Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

Trashman wrote:
Vee Dub Nut wrote:

Thanks! How your slam job going?

Ha, totally missed this.

I'm sure you saw the pics by now in the lowering thread. Calling mine a "slam job" might be a stretch in comparison to yours and others LOL But overall it came out great. Wagenswest parts are top notch, and the Bus looks killer and rides even better. I've been having a blast cruising it around.

Still enjoying watching yours evolve too!

67 Beetle (TBD)

74 Transporter (EJ25 Swapped) - Build Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

See all my VW pics on Instagram @ vee_dub_nut
Cspider7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

Ive been following this build on Instagram, doing a killer job!
AirKooledGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

Tubs look great!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Trashman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

Alright! I have been MIA for a while on here, but a few things have been going on, but mainly I've been working my ass off to get whats in the white box in the last picture of this post.

First off I'll start out with a Christmas gift I got. My girlfriend got me this Coleman cooler that I've had my eyes on for quite a while now and it's the perfect cross of nice and beat up to match everything else. We used it camping a couple weeks ago and it worked great. Also, for camping I ghetto rigged that westy table up temporarily and it was I game changer for camping. The bus was great for this trip to Pinnacles and got there and back without a hitch, except for almost running out of gas way out there.

Michelada Time

Next thing was kind of a bummer. Those super nice hand spun aluminum velocity stacks that actually had an orifice of 40mm instead of 45, yeah those all broke because of all the vibration I put this car through and the fact that they were so thin. I had to run the filters just taped over the openings of the carbs for a few days Laughing I ended up just getting a set of empi, way too chrome, tall boy stacks and retrofitted the filters from the other stacks that had a much wider bell mouth on them.

They all looked like this...

And last but not least, I took the plunge and I'm starting another big project on this thing but it might take a while because I'm buying the parts piece by piece as I can afford it, but I already made the biggest purchase. It's in the white box. I can't wait!

RAMZROD
Hammered™ Apparel

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

Air ride suspension!

looking for vintage plate frame from Ramsey, NJ
Bus Build Page
http://www.hammeredapparel.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Trashman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

RAMZROD wrote:
Air ride suspension!

Oh yeah! I'm going to be making a new 7 inch raised bag beam and getting rid of the torsions out back and making some hiem joint spring plates for maximum travel. Going to finally have to do the trans raise too. I've decided that instead of going with the split bus nose cone method, I'm just going to put some u-joint in the shift rod and do a little clearancing in the floor. The rear seat will completely hide it too.
RAMZROD
Hammered™ Apparel

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

Awesome! Will definitely be following. Want to do the same eventually.

looking for vintage plate frame from Ramsey, NJ
Bus Build Page
http://www.hammeredapparel.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Trashman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

Got to work today on making a access panel on the bus behind the rear seat. I cut out the size of the access hole that I wanted, and then welded a flange all around so that the removed piece has somewhere to sit. Then I drilled holes in the flange and welded nuts on the backside so I could bolt the panel through matching holes in it. Everything is all done on it except for paint and a strip of weather stripping on the mating surface.

I also welded the heater tubes so there wouldn't be an outlet inside the seat. The previous owner sealed up the holes by using a diet coke can and smashing the outlet vent in, partially prohibiting air flow to the front of the cabin. Should be a little better now.

The whole reason I made this access panel to to aid in the bag install. It will help me with the trans raise, bag mounting, and more frame work. With this angle, I will be able to get much better, stronger welds all around the frame for the newer, even bigger rear notches (third times a charm).

Hole cut

Flanges on

Heater outlets capped

All done

Trashman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

More work done this week. I have got a lot of the wiring done for the accuair and have the majority of the management and other stuff installed under the rear seat. The only things I'm missing are the valve block and the tank. I cut out a new bottom piece out of mdf for the floor of the seat so that I wouldn't be drilling into the original westy wood that is getting a little tired. I will also be adding a back wall out of mdf to mount the tank to and a few more for quieting the noise from the compressors. If you notice how everything is all tight on the right side, that is so that I can make a box inside to store things like a jack and supplies and that can be accessed through the front cabinet door.

Here are some pics

This one is of the brackets I made so that the compressors would be double isolated so I will have as little noise from vibration as possible.

Unbolted the front panel and slid it in.

Here you can see the space that will soon be boxed in for a storage compartment.

Emdenbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

Hi Trashman

Been catchin up on your build , great work as usual.

Looking back at the start of your build and was looking at your m plate and i thought it looks familiar, we have brother buses well nearly yours is four days older than mine , exact m codes , same paint codes.

Yours was shipped to Washington/Baltimore mine went to Jacksonville, probably on the same ship.

Will get some pics over soon.

Cheers Al
Trashman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:04 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

Emdenbus wrote:
Hi Trashman

Been catchin up on your build , great work as usual.

Looking back at the start of your build and was looking at your m plate and i thought it looks familiar, we have brother buses well nearly yours is four days older than mine , exact m codes , same paint codes.

Yours was shipped to Washington/Baltimore mine went to Jacksonville, probably on the same ship.

Will get some pics over soon.

Cheers Al

Can't wait to see the pictures!
Trashman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

Still slowly plugging away at this colossal project. Trying to split everything up into little jobs so that I'm still able to drive the bus around as it's my daily. Things got a little delayed since the steel supplier somehow lost my order and I had to place a new one. Should be in sometime this week and I can start fabricating all of the pieces. Plan is to make as much as I can outside of the bus and them weld this in. Hopefully this way I can keep downtime to a minimum. This weekend I got one thing off the checklist. I did a 1-1/4" steering box raise. To do this job, I raise the box up in the frame, shortened the brake lever by about 1/4", shortened the steering column, and lengthened the bottom cover for the rag joint. All new frame metal was 1/8" and boxed in more solid than original. I'm happy with how it turned out and now I don't have to worry about scraping the pitman arm/drag link on the ground and with the bags, the bumper should be able to sit on the ground without resting on the pitman arm. Sorry for only one pic, but this is how the raise worked.

Just got the vu4 manifold for the accuair setup so all management should be done this week as well.

Next up is the big bad daddy frame notches this weekend for presidents day. Let's hope I can get that done in a day and a half. Hoping to have this all done by the show season which starts with Kelley Park on April 22. Don't know if that will be possible. I might have to take some time off work to get it done.

Last edited by Trashman on Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Trashman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Deluxe Build Reply with quote

Got the VU4 manifold installed today so now the management is all done! (except the height sensors which are the very last step when I know my range of motion). Here is the setup. Its tight but it works and I still have storage that fits a jack and other things. The acoustic foam does help quite a bit, especially for the sharper sounds.

Heres whats in there: 5 gallon seamless air tank, avs water trap, accuair e-level ecu, accuair vu4 manifold, dual viair 444c compressors, and I'm using 3/8" airline
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Page 10 of 17

Jump to: