Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How do you transport a small portable generators?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mcbbcn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:19 pm    Post subject: How do you transport a small portable generators? Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has found an effective way to transport a small portable generator in a pop-up camper van?

I thought about a sealed box or perhaps on top of the roof, although I'm concerned about the weight.

Inside the cabin, I'm concerned about sleeping and fumes.

Any thoughts or ideas?

Best,

Miquel
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you transport a small portable generators? Reply with quote

Back bumper hitch basket...or leave it at home... Evil or Very Mad

(Not a fan of camping generators...sorry...)

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you transport a small portable generators? Reply with quote

hitch carrier,
but I hve transported mine inside. a quality unit shouldn't be fumy/leaky.
a econo no name brand I dunno.

I also don't like generators while camping. but I took ours onour Eclipse trip to Charleston this august.. as it was a life saving thing to run the portable AC for my babied Bernard mix in the southern sun..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you transport a small portable generators? Reply with quote

Another option would be in a lockable steel box mounted to a swing away arm on a steel bumper (ala GoWesty, Rocky Mountain Westy, etc).
mcbbcn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you transport a small portable generators? Reply with quote

Hi,

Thanks everyone. Just to give more context. It’s not really for a camping trip. I have a portable telescope observatory with computers, robotized telescope mount and bunch of electronics. I usually go into the middle nowhere, away from everyone (and every light) and I spent about 3 nights with no electrical outlet around.

I already measure watts draw, etc and the coach battery would not have a chance and I don’t want to creat a battery bench with 3 additional batteries. It feels overkill. Also, I do these trips in Winter, it gets very cold, and I would like to keep coach battery for heat.

Thanks everyone for your input. The swing away box option sounded interesting, I’ll look into it, although I also carry a swing away in the back for my bicycle, the fun never ends. Very Happy

Best,

Miquel
pinetreeporsche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you transport a small portable generators? Reply with quote

Why not in the luggage rack over the driver? You might put a sheet of plywood- cut to size- under it to spread the load, but seems unlikely it could do any damage up there. Isn't that the kind of thing the rack area was made for?
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you transport a small portable generators? Reply with quote

pinetreeporsche wrote:
Why not in the luggage rack over the driver? You might put a sheet of plywood- cut to size- under it to spread the load, but seems unlikely it could do any damage up there. Isn't that the kind of thing the rack area was made for?

That is what I was thinking. Sounds like OP doesn't need that much power - but his generator may be too large up there.

When refurbishing my luggage rack I reinforced the back side of the tie downs with aluminum brackets.
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you transport a small portable generators? Reply with quote

mcbbcn wrote:
The swing away box option sounded interesting, I’ll look into it, although I also carry a swing away in the back for my bicycle, the fun never ends.

You can have a swing away on both sides of the bumper. 1 side for bikes, the other for your gen box. Technically you could even have a third swing away off of a trailer hitch. Lots of options. Don't forget, if you have a generator you're also gonna need to carry fuel.

http://www.gowesty.com/search-results.php?search_phrase=swing+away

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2017741

https://www.stowaway2.com
SSWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:50 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you transport a small portable generators? Reply with quote

I'll vote for something off the back. I have both a hitch tray and swing out tray off the bumper. I would feel comfortable with a generator like a light Honda 2000 or 1000 on either of those. If you don't have a bumper with swing outs or a hitch you could do a Gary Lee rack off the hatch like this one http://www.telusplanet.net/public/gary2a/rack/rack.htm as another option.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:24 am    Post subject: Re: How do you transport a small portable generators? Reply with quote

If you drain gas for transport and wrap it in a large garbage bag you won't smell anything from a good one. Now, of course, you have a gas storage problem.

I put my Honda in the cabin when I go up to the hills to fire lasers at the moon.
Waldi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:38 am    Post subject: Re: How do you transport a small portable generators? Reply with quote

If you wnt to camp in winter times and use some electronics, there is no way than a generator. Not nuff sun for sollar power.
I am instaling atm a generator system in my van, couse i changed my gas heater to a Planar heater, and i like to use my home pc.

There is no problem to transport it inside. For sleeping it is outside with the fuel secured with a chain to the car, if needed.

2 bord bats, 100w solar on the top and now,

9kg sinus gernarator
https://www.denqbar.com/650-w-digitaler-inverter-s...dimensions

Sinus inverter with charger
https://www.autobatterienbilliger.de/Reiner-Sinus-...r-Inverter
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:47 am    Post subject: Re: How do you transport a small portable generators? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I put this together to carry mine. Harbor Freight step with plywood platform attached.
Eyebolts to ratchet strap the generator to. I also added an anti-rattle hitch bolt to keep everything in place
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: How do you transport a small portable generators? Reply with quote

Timwhy wrote:

I put this together to carry mine. Harbor Freight step with plywood platform attached.
Eyebolts to ratchet strap the generator to. I also added an anti-rattle hitch bolt to keep everything in place

Nice job. Impressed!

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
mcbbcn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: How do you transport a small portable generators? Reply with quote

Wow! What an impressive forum!!! Shocked I really appreciate everyone's input.

Yes, I'm learning towards carrying it inside, it is one of those very small 1000 watts, and I'm learning that there are airtight bags out there. Just trying to figure out which one, and I also like the idea of leaving it outside secured if I'm going to be sleeping, why not? Right?

Thank you so much everyone for all the ideas. You all are an impressive bunch! Wink

Kind regards to everyone!

Miquel
mcbbcn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: How do you transport a small portable generators? Reply with quote

I came across this one for making a bag, airtight...I really like the simplicity of things...I'm thinking about using a tough contractor bag and cutting it to dimensions and see if I can apply this method...the plastic is more rigid, but if I find a way to screw it tough enough, it should do the trick. hehe!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWeRIFwsEpk

I love the ingenuity and simplicity of some solutions Smile

Cheers

Miquel
Tobias Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: How do you transport a small portable generators? Reply with quote

mcbbcn wrote:
I came across this one for making a bag, airtight...I really like the simplicity of things...I'm thinking about using a tough contractor bag and cutting it to dimensions and see if I can apply this method...the plastic is more rigid, but if I find a way to screw it tough enough, it should do the trick. hehe!

Cheers

Miquel

Its not just more rigid its also way thicker. That trick works because grocery bags are very very thin.
Maybe a gallon pickle jar lid?
Even then I would look to some folding type solution
mcbbcn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you transport a small portable generators? Reply with quote

Tobias Duncan wrote:
mcbbcn wrote:

Cheers

Miquel

Its not just more rigid its also way thicker. That trick works because grocery bags are very very thin.
Maybe a gallon pickle jar lid?
Even then I would look to some folding type solution

Yeah, I've come across some folding type solutions but don't have the right size. These portable generators, as small as they are, they have these odd measurements:

L= 17.7"
W= 9.4"
H= 14.9"

I will keep digging Wink
mcbbcn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you transport a small portable generators? Reply with quote

Here is another link and this time using harder plastic, I don't know, it's cheap enough that I think I will give it a try. There is a quick to try if it works, by filling with water and see if it escapes. I know water is more dense than air, but I can also squeeze the bag and see if the air stays inside.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Cheap-easy-way-to-making-air-tight-bags/

What I like about Contractor bags is that they are tough. They easily lift 30 pounds without breaking, they are inexpensive and the material is airtight, so it's the perfect if I can make it work.
pinetreeporsche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you transport a small portable generators? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
If you drain gas for transport and wrap it in a large garbage bag you won't smell anything from a good one. Now, of course, you have a gas storage problem. ...

That problem wouldn't be there if you put it up in the over-cab luggage rack. Put almost anything around it while driving if it's raining. Then fire it up; don't even bother to take it down-- just have it running up there. Use a thin sheet of closed-cell rubber padding (camping store) to damp the vibration/noise. "Akuna matata"-- no worries for the rest of your days.
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you transport a small portable generators? Reply with quote

mcbbcn wrote:
Also, I do these trips in Winter, it gets very cold, and I would like to keep coach battery for heat.

Just in case anyone has not addressed this yet... using electricity to generate comfort heat for winter camping, whether it be DC or AC, is extremely inefficient. There is no substitute for burning hydrocarbons (propane) when it comes to heating. In the long term you may want to invest in a Propex heater (http://www.westyventures.com/propex.html). The HS2211 linked here mounts underneath the van, does all of its combustion outside the van in a separate airspace, transfers its heat through a heat exchanger, and blows the hot air into the van—a totally safe solution that ensures you will not be exposed to carbon monoxide gas.

kourt
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: