Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

6 rib 091 with no reverse
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
63belair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:29 pm    Post subject: 6 rib 091 with no reverse Reply with quote

I have a 2276 VW powered sandrail with a 091 6 rib VW transaxle. I recently purchased the car with a bad reverse gear. I am looking to get the reverse gear changed. I mainly run the car in the sand with 30” paddle tires but I am also interested in running it on the street. I have 35” street tires and while in 4th gear going 40 MPH I am at 3200 RPM I would like to be able to cruise at around 60 MPH. I don’t know what ring and pinion I have… is there a way to check while the car is still together? Will I be able to change 4th gear to a taller gear? I don't feel much rpm change from 3rd to 4th gear.

I have rebuilt multiple engines and done plenty of mechanical work however I have never done anything with a transmission. Is this something I could possibly do myself?

I did a search and really cant find anything that relates directly to my issue.

Thanks for any and all advice. Very Happy
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:22 am    Post subject: Re: 6 rib 091 with no reverse Reply with quote

It looks like someone has already done some mods to the trans. Whether its a close ratio 4th or a lower ring and pinion, its hard to tell. In my Baja, I started with the 3 rib (5:38 R&P) with 30" tires, and I was close to 4,000 rpm at 70 mph, I then went to a 5 rib (4:86 R&P), and now I am around 3,200 rpm.

Just a "rough" estimate of how low the R&P is, is what happens when you start off in 1st. If the R&P is really low, you won't have time to burp, fart, or sneeze before you have to grab second.

As far as fixing, working on, the VW transaxle, its near the top as far as difficult level goes. Its not that its any different when it comes time to read gear wear patterns, and just transmission related setup. Its just all the jigs, fixtures and special tools that are required to do the job right. For a one off job, you will end up spending more in tools, then to have the trans fixed by a good shop.
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
63belair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:19 am    Post subject: Re: 6 rib 091 with no reverse Reply with quote

Thank you for the information, I am shifting out of 1st gear pretty quick. my previous sand rail had a sedan transmission and I would normally use 1st and 2nd gear on the dunes. With this 6 rib I am using 1st, 2nd and 3rd fairly often.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:21 am    Post subject: Re: 6 rib 091 with no reverse Reply with quote

You probably have close ratio 3rd and 4th gears in that trans if you can hardly tell the difference between 3rd and 4th. Popular change for offroad. 35" tall tires are good at breaking gearboxes in a Bug or buggy. I recommend a max diameter of 33" for better durability.

Reverse is the weakest gear in most all transmissions as it's the lowest ratio. 091s have a tougher reverse than Type 1s by far, side shift 094s have an even stronger reverse. But with 35s, any gearbox will break reverse real EZ.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
63belair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:42 am    Post subject: Re: 6 rib 091 with no reverse Reply with quote

Thank you, once I pull the trans I will see what gears are in it. Hopefully I can just replace 4th gear to get to the desired speed and RPM. does anyone know what gearing (ratios) I should have for 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th I should have in order to be good on the dunes and on the street?
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: 6 rib 091 with no reverse Reply with quote

Once we know which R&P you have, the proper gearing can easily be determined. I'm wondering if your trans is actually a "hybrid" utilizing the 091 main case, but 002 gears (with either 002 intermediate housing or "Berg" style adapter housing). That would account for what's probably a 5.38 R&P (common 002 ratio), since you say 1st gear is a stump puller.

091s in the U.S. almost always came with 4.57 R&P ratio, which is the tallest OE R&P. Usual complaints with this ratio and tall tires is that 1st is too tall.
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
77charger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 6 rib 091 with no reverse Reply with quote

I am using a hybrid 091 with 002 internals but it also has a weddle r&p 4.57 ratio.My 4th gear is a 1.50 and with 30 inch paddles their aint much for flat driving at 3500 im at 43-44 mph.Sucks when we go from glamis to gordons as my friends have to wait for me.

But im getting trans inspected and swapping the 4th to a 1.39 or a 1.35.I have had equivelent ratios in my previous 2 trans one was a type 1 i ended up selling for an 002 swap which had a 5.37 ring pinion was able to cruise at 50 easier for sure.I mostly dune 2-3 anyways
Auto linea alm case,82 dpr crank wedgemated by DK machine
cb 5.4 h beams,12 pound DPR f/w,Slr xv294cam,cb straight cuts,hpmx 44s,40x35 heads ported by brothers machine
63belair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: 6 rib 091 with no reverse Reply with quote

thank you everyone, is it possible to rebuild this trans myself? without a jig?
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 6 rib 091 with no reverse Reply with quote

***NO***
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
63belair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:09 am    Post subject: Re: 6 rib 091 with no reverse Reply with quote

Thank you
63belair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 6 rib 091 with no reverse Reply with quote

I was finally able to pull out the trans and remove the bell housing. I have a 4.57 ring and pinion. I hope to learn how to take it apart more this week.
SamT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 6 rib 091 with no reverse Reply with quote

Take the trans to a shop. You'll end up with a pile of shit if you take it apart. it's seriously not something the above average shade tree mechanic can tackle.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=546712
sagebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 6 rib 091 with no reverse Reply with quote

Treat reverse like the gear is made of glass.
1fastbigguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: 6 rib 091 with no reverse Reply with quote

Here is a photo of an 091 and an 094 reverse gear set. The 094 is as strong as any other gear in the box. I went with the 094 because my car is use on and off-road so I wanted to actually be able to use reverse.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

59 Ragtop
61 Ragtop Baja
69 Squareback

@Dustydrone
#Ohibaja

Our Build
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=545394
63belair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 6 rib 091 with no reverse Reply with quote

Thank you everybody. I am definitely going to try to make this repair myself if all else fails I will put it back together and then take it in for repair. I like to do things myself and I like to know how things work. I have remove the gearset from the transmission and I see my reverse gear is definitely shot and the gear that it meets up against is also toast. I’m not sure what that is called. I’m assuming the stamps that you could read in the pictures that will be attached are my first and second gear ratio I’m not really sure how to figure out third or fourth gear ratio if anybody has any input on that that would be great. Also when I look on Weddle’s website my reverse gear looks different then a zero 91 in their pictures so I’m not really sure what kind of reverse gear this is maybe it is the zero 94 that was mentioned above this ?

SamT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 6 rib 091 with no reverse Reply with quote

Reverse gear doesn't mesh very good. Trans builders mod this to get full mesh often. But once you've broken enough reverse gears and get it in your head that they break easy your good to go. I haven't broke one in 15 years! But a trans guy had to show me why they break before I got right
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=546712
63belair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: 6 rib 091 with no reverse Reply with quote

Parts will be ordered today, I will be replacing 4th gear with a 1.18 Weddle racing gear, Synchro Cone, replacing the reverse gear and the 1st-2nd slider.

On my 4th gear the synchro is welded to the idle gear? does anyone know why that would be?
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: 6 rib 091 with no reverse Reply with quote

Do you mean the synchro cone? 3rd & 4th gears come in at least 4 categories:

EB welded
fine-splined tight fit
fine-splined loose (floating)
coarse-splined tight fit
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: