Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Primer (dupli-high build) makes non- original paint peel.
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
chrisarnt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:14 pm    Post subject: Primer (dupli-high build) makes non- original paint peel. Reply with quote

I've got a small section down low I took the rust off. I have it treated, a little filler and taped off.
it is down low and doesn't need to be professional, but still want it to look good.

I've got a little of the original paint scuffed so I can blend it in.
I'm gonna put some high build primer on but the original paint peels a little.

I'm using duplicolor high build sand able.

It looks like it was resprayed by PO about 5 years ago, if that helps.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
marklee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Primer (dupli-high build) makes non- original paint peel. Reply with quote

its the thinner/reducer in the primer thats causing the issue.Make sure the repaired area is feathered out as smooth as possible down to 800grit wet and dry used wet. Dry the area and if you must use a rattle can to paint it use a product like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sunox-Trade-1k-Paint-Iso...2796064149 before you use primer.Follow the instructions to the letter
Motor Insurance Repair and Research Centre,Thatcham, Advanced Vehicle Damage Estimator.
Police qualified vehicle examiner
Police Class 1 High performance, pursuit trained Advanced driver
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chrisarnt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Primer (dupli-high build) makes non- original paint peel. Reply with quote

marklee wrote:
its the thinner/reducer in the primer thats causing the issue.Make sure the repaired area is feathered out as smooth as possible down to 800grit wet and dry used wet. Dry the area and if you must use a rattle can to paint it use a product like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sunox-Trade-1k-Paint-Iso...2796064149 before you use primer.Follow the instructions to the letter

I see that product.

I spoke to the old timer VW guy who works at Sears, he restores VWs on the side.
He said the problem was putting lacquer based paint over enamel paint.
You are going to hate that I'm saying this, but...

But Krylon make an all surface enamel spray paint that self etches. I used it one other small spot and no bubbling of original. Also, no issue with primer coming through at the tape line.
I used the satin finish, wet sanded the tape line and buffed it out.

Looked almost perfect, but I wouldn't use it anywhere conspicuous.

This time I'll try the gloss and if that comes out great will maybe tackle some more advanced spots.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Primer (dupli-high build) makes non- original paint peel. Reply with quote

Some times it's the rattle can not getting mixed enough or they mixed it wrong, too much thinner or drying agent comes out all at once.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: