Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

M-288 Factory headlight washer system?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: factory headlight washer system? Reply with quote

I dont know why its like that - pump seems to work fine. I made sure its all clear too. I need to play with it more.

How did you mount the overrider? Did you drill a hole through the rubber strip?

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Globusoverland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:57 pm    Post subject: Re: factory headlight washer system? Reply with quote

Yes, I did. I had to. And it is a tricky part Confused .
You have to be 100% sure the trim is installed properly before making the drill marks. You need to draw back the metal sheet strip and drill a hole in the centre of of it. The correct hole will leave you enough sheet material to re-install the trim properly and keeping the possibility of tensioning it. Dont forget to treat the holes afterwards with some rust protector.
Take your time to do this project. Measure and re-measure! Get a beer and re-measure again. (As well for cutting out the material from the washers!) You've got only one chance, because once drilled wrongly (read: too much up or down), you need to replace the metal strip. It wont be strong enough anymore. Besides that, with the washers installed and the holes drilled wrongly, you wont be able to tension the strip properly. Confused

I am glad my project is over and finished. I am very happy with the result because everything went so smooth. But, it took me more than 5 years to get it started. I was quite in doubt whether doing it or not. (In terms of succeeding the way it should Pray )
Good luck buddy. And keep up posting pics.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: factory headlight washer system? Reply with quote

That was going to be another question - is there a metal strip in the rubber? Crying or Very sad I was not sure.

I'm glad you found it and succeeded in making the modification. There is hope for me then Wink Laughing

That was the bad news. The good news is I have two sets of the overriders - Dancing

Good to hear all this new. Thanks again Globusoverland for getting it done Cool

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Globusoverland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: factory headlight washer system? Reply with quote

Happy to help. Let me know when more help needed. Please keep updating pics! Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: factory headlight washer system? Reply with quote

Id like to give a shout out and thanks to chimneyfish. He offered up am overider bolt cover cap to me through a PM.

I offered to pay - but he decided to just pay it forward. I have the two for a set I have - but one was buggered up. He sent me a better one on the house, hooking a brother up.

chimneyfish - thanks again brother Cool

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
otiswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: factory headlight washer system? Reply with quote

Stuartzickefoose wrote:
Otis, why haven't I seen your bus yet in person?

Thanks for your help getting those intermittent wipers set up.

Just a regular guy
otiswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: factory headlight washer system? Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:

Did you get it all working and squirting? I was only able to get one to squirt. I bought some other pumps and might go with one pump per squirter like modern cars do.

The Vanagon headlight washer has a valved splitter that equalizes the pressure between the two nozzles. Did you get this sorted?
If not, I have a spare of the T3 part that could solve it.

Just a regular guy
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: M-288 Factory headlight washer system? Reply with quote

What do you have? I think my main pump for the headlights took a dump. I bought two inline modern squirters I hope to do the fix.

Let see the T3 one.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
otiswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: M-288 Factory headlight washer system? Reply with quote

I have a spare of the big head light squirter as well, never used it and not planning on drilling the front. Untested though, but was sold as a working unit.

Here are pics of the T3 washer fluid splitter, The fluid will take the path of least resistance without an equalizer valve.

Just a regular guy
otiswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: M-288 Factory headlight washer system? Reply with quote

A little off topic, but I was at the PS Speicher Museum in Einbeck last month. https://ps-speicher.de/en/ They have an exhibition on the 50 years of the Type 2 VW Kombi. I noticed one of the busses there that was a Police Bus had a very unusual windshield washer set up that I had not seen before.

Just a regular guy
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: M-288 Factory headlight washer system? Reply with quote

In the near future, I shall hopefully be joining the club of those with electrically-pumped headlamp & front-windscreen washers.

Noting that the 8 litre water tank has only one hose outlet, how does one connect the windscreen-washer pump to the water supply? Confused

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor (semi-retired) of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

Much modified, RHD 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, with the World's only decent, cross-over-arm, SWF pantograph rear-window wiper

Onetime member, plus former Technical Editor & Editor of Transporter Talk magazine
Volkswagen Type 2 Owners' Club (Great Britain)

http://www.vwt2oc.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: M-288 Factory headlight washer system? Reply with quote

You have to put in an inline T to service both squirters - after the pump. I have yet to see a qualified club member with working washers, me included. Laughing

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:43 am    Post subject: Re: M-288 Factory headlight washer system? Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
You have to put in an inline T to service both squirters - after the pump. I have yet to see a qualified club member with working washers, me included. Laughing

At some time in the not too distant future, I hope to have all of the minimum necessary parts to upgrade my RHD – right-hand drive, British specification, 1973 model-year, VW “1600” Type 2 Westfalia Continental motor-caravan, with the M-288 electrically-pumped headlamp-washer & windscreen-washer system.

Official 1968~79 VW Type 2 Replacement Parts Catalogue, Page 55, Items 5A to 5E (front-bumper over-rider parts)

https://volkswagen.7zap.com/en/rdw/typ+2+syncro/t2/1976-29/7/707-55000/

Page 55, Item 5A => Front bumper, rubber-covered left & right hand over-riders (2 off) (VW part Nos. 211 707 155 & 211 707 156)

Page 55, Item 5B => Hollow spacer (NLA) (2 off) – substitute custom-made stainless steel or nylon part of appropriate length, if not already present

Page 55, Item 5C => A8 washer (VW part No. N 0115 2520) (2 off) – substitute generic zinc-plated steel or stainless steel washer of appropriate size, if not already present or readily available second-hand

Page 55, Item 5D => M8 x 50 mm socket-head bolt (VW part No. N 0402 622) (2 off) – substitute generic zinc-plated steel or stainless steel socket-head bolt of appropriate size

Page 55, Item 5E => Over-rider trim-cover-cap (VW part No. 211 707 182) (2 off) – these are desirable & appropriate items, of which I would ultimately like to have a complete set of 2+2 for the front & rear bumpers.

Official 1968~79 VW Type 2 Replacement Parts Catalogue, Page 102-10, Items 1 to 21 (headlamp-washer system components)

https://volkswagen.7zap.com/en/rdw/typ+2+syncro/t2/1976-29/9/955-102010/

Page 102-10, Item 1 => Headlamp washer jet (VW Part No. 113 955 185) (2 off)

Page 102-10, Item 1A => Headlamp washer-jet seal (NLA) (2 off)

Page 102-10, Item 2 => Headlamp washer-jet connector cum non-return valve (VW Part No. 113 955 187) (2 off)

Page 102-10, Item 3 => Hose or hose-guide or hose-stiffener? (2 off ?)

Page 102-10, Item 4 => Headlamp washer-jet retaining spring (VW Part No. 113 955 199) (2 off)

Page 102-10, Item 5 => Headlamp washer-pump relay (NLA | VW part No. 113 955 200) (1 off)

Page 102-10, Item 6 => Windscreen-washer & headlamp-washer, washer-fluid reservoir (VW part No. 211 955 449) (1 off)

Page 102-10, Item 7 => Washer-fluid reservoir retaining clip (NLA) (1 off ?)

Page 102-10, Item 10 => Washer-fluid reservoir, filler-cap (1 off)

Page 102-10, Item 11 => Steering-column mounted, combination switch, for windscreen wipers & washers (electrically pumped) and headlamp washers (electrically pumped)? (1 off) - 1973~74 or 1974 VW Type 2

Page 102-10, Item 12 => Headlamp-washer, washer-fluid, electric pump (VW part No. 211 955 679) (1 off)

Page 102-10, Item 15 => Headlamp-washer, T-piece hose-connector (VW Part No. 113 955 975 B) (1 off)

Page 102-10, Item 16 => Front-panel grommet for headlamp-washer hose (VW Part No. 111 971 907) (2 off)

Page 102-10, Item 17 => Hose clips (6 off)

Page 102-10, Item 18 => Low-pressure, headlamp-washer hose – 570 mm length cut from 5 metre coil of hose (VW Part No. 1J0 955 964 F) (1 off)

Page 102-10, Item 19 => High-pressure, headlamp-washer hose – 200 mm length cut from 5 metre coil of hose (VW Part No. 1J0 955 964 F) (1 off)

Page 102-10, Item 20 => High-pressure, headlamp-washer hose – 850 mm length cut from 5 metre coil of hose (VW Part No. 1J0 955 964 F) (1 off)

Page 102-10, Item 21 => High-pressure, headlamp-washer hose – 580 mm length cut from 5 metre coil of hose (VW Part No. 1J0 955 964 F) (1 off)

I would imagine that a generic T-piece and high-pressure hose of the correct bore, would be a suitable alternative to the original VW Type 2 headlamp-washer T-piece hose-connector (VW Part No. 113 955 975 B) & hose (VW Part No. 1J0 955 964 F).

It will be “interesting” to see whether there will be any additional complications associated with transplanting this system into a RHD vehicle; possibly the first such vehicle to be so equipped!?! I hope it’s easier to refill the large 8•0 litre capacity, black-plastic washer-fluid tank, than it has been to refill the original lozenge-shaped, air-pressurised, circa 1•0 litre capacity, white-plastic windscreen-washer-fluid reservoir and re-pressurise it using a hand or foot operated pump, given the relative location of the RHD steering column, steering wheel & three pedals.

Once I have completed a trial fitting of the black-plastic washer-fluid tank, I need to investigate where & how I can retro-fit home-made under-dashboard parcel shelves; either two of half-width or one of full-width.

I recently managed to scrounge some long off-cuts of 9 mm x 250 mm & 9 mm x 300 mm boards (white uPVC, domestic, end-of-gable-roof trim boards with a circa 20~25 mm lip), which I think will be ideal for the purpose. To ensure that the screw-top & filler-neck of the black-plastic washer-fluid tank are accessible, it will probably be necessary to position the parcel shelf, level with or below the top of the tank.

Looking at the 8•0 litre capacity, black-plastic washer-fluid tank [VW part No. 211 955 449], there is only a single large-diameter fluid outlet, corresponding to the headlamp-washer hoses’ internal-diameter.

However, there seems to an additional small-diameter hose-connection of some sort, on what I imagine to be the inlet port of the headlamp-washer pump [Hella part No. 8WM 002 792-03 | VW-Audi part No. 211 955 679], which I suspect might be the low-pressure connection to the windscreen-washer pump [VW-Audi part No. 823 955 651]. Am I correct in this supposition?

Having yet to find any photographs or schematic drawings of how the headlamp-washer pump & hoses are located, orientated and shaped, I am interested to find out more about the factory-stock installation and whether a more maintenance-friendly configuration has been designed?

Would I be correct in thinking, that inside portions of the headlamp-washer hose, where there are small-radius bends, there should be an internal stainless-steel helical spring of some sort, to prevent kinking of the hose? I have something like this for the ½-inch garden hose, where it connects to the outlet, on my wall-mounted, Hasel through-feed hose reel.

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor (semi-retired) of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

Much modified, RHD 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, with the World's only decent, cross-over-arm, SWF pantograph rear-window wiper

Onetime member, plus former Technical Editor & Editor of Transporter Talk magazine

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: M-288 Factory headlight washer system? Reply with quote

All the original hose I got with my system is just larger diameter cloth braided German stuff. No visual reinforcement for kinking.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: M-288 Factory headlight washer system? Reply with quote

Opening my parcel from Christer Persson in Sweden, the water tank, headlamp-washer pump and windscreen washer pump appear to be in good condition, although I haven't yet had the opportunity to check the functionality of the pumps. However, the front-bumper over-riders are in very poor condition in my opinion and they are NOT a matched pair.

DAMAGED M-288 "headlamp-washer" over-riders from Christer Persson

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=1987833

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=1987832

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=1987831

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=1987830

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=1987829

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=1987828

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=1987827

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=1987826

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=1987825

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=1987824

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=1987823

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=1987822

A few of the photographs clearly show that BOTH over-riders are same-handed and bear the same part number 211 707 155, rather than having a matched pair with slightly different part numbers 211 707 155 & 211 707 156, ending in 5 and 6 respectively. The direction of the chamfer, emphasised by the sloping pencils, suggest that they might both be left-handed; considering the horizontal curvature of the 1973~79 VW Type 2 style front bumper.

The distorted top of one over-rider and consequent splitting of the rubber in that area, can also be clearly seen. The long, wide splits in the rubber along the backs of the over-riders, associated with severe flaky corrosion of the underlying steel, would have been obvious even to someone who is half blind, and one can see that some of the flaky steel is already missing. If I were to probe the remaining flaky steel with a screw-driver or other implement, I am sure it would be easily dislodged; noting that flakes drop off of their own accord, when the over-rider is handled.

Given that the underlying, structural steel components of the over-riders are largely encapsulated within the rubber, I doubt whether they could be temporarily removed to repair the distortion of one and the major corrosion damage to both. Removal of the encapsulating rubber would probably further damage the rubber (probably irreparably!), so I doubt whether the repaired steel over-rider cores could be re-encapsulated within the original rubber.

The following pictures of undamaged, good-condition over-riders, found in The Samba Gallery, shows what those purchased and sold by Christer should have been like:

1974~79 VW Type 2 headlamp-washer system – good condition

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=1842469

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=1842468

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=1842467

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=1842466

Nigel A. Skeet

NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
Ran across this. 1974up_headlight_washer. In wiring diagrams.

Looking at the electrical-circuit wiring diagram above, I deduce that the wiring colours, wire cross-sectional area and connected terminals are as follows:

I have yet to formally translate the German text, but off-the-cuff, I interpret the component labels, terminal labels, wiring colours & sizes to be as follows:

https://www.deepl.com/translator

E – Schalter für Scheibenwisher => Switch for windscreen washer - Switches for windshield wipers

E1 – zum Lichtshalter Klemme 56 => to light switch terminal 56 - to light holder terminal 56

J39 – Relais für Scheinwerfer Reinigungsanlage => Relay for headlamp (?) - Relay for headlight cleaning system

S1 – An Sicherungshalter Klemme X (10. Sicherung) => on fuse-box terminal X (fuse No. 10) - To fuse holder Terminal X (10th fuse)

S2 - An Sicherungshalter Klemme 30 - To fuse holder Terminal 30

V – Scheibenwischmotor - wiper motor

V5 – Scheibenwashpumpe - windscreen washer pump

V11 – Pumpe für Scheinwerfer-Reinigungsanlage - Pump for headlamp cleaning system

Switch E, terminal-31 => brown/black cable (0•5 mm²) => Relay J39, terminal-S

Switch E, terminal-53 => black cable (1•0 mm²) => Wiper motor V, terminal-53

Switch E, terminal-53a => black/grey cable (1•0 mm²) => Wiper motor V, terminal-53a
Switch E, terminal-53a => black/grey cable (1•0 mm²) => Fuse S1, terminal-X

Switch E, terminal-53b => black/yellow cable (1•0 mm²) => Wiper motor V, terminal-53b

Switch E, terminal-53c => red/black cable (1•0 mm²) => Wiper motor V, terminal-53c

Switch E, terminal-53e => green cable (1•0 mm²) => Wiper motor V, terminal-53e

Relay J39, terminal-P => red cable (6 mm²) => Headlamp-washer pump motor V11

Relay J39, terminal-S => brown/black cable (0•5 mm²) => Washer switch E, terminal-31

Relay J39, terminal-30 => red cable (6 mm²) => Fuse S2, terminal-30

Relay J39, terminal-31 => brown cable (0•5 mm²) => Earth

Relay J39, terminal-56 => white/black cable (0•5 mm²) => Headlamp switch E1, terminal-56

Nigel A. Skeet

notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: M-288 Factory headlight washer system? Reply with quote

Sorry to hear they are no a set. But I tell you what, even with the flakey corrosion, those are in good nick compared to what I've seen. Pulling as much of the rusty bits out, filling and clamping the gaps with epoxy will do the trick. Im surprised these overriders last as long as they do in the elements.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: M-288 Factory headlight washer system? Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
Sorry to hear they are no a set. But I tell you what, even with the flakey corrosion, those are in good nick compared to what I've seen. Pulling as much of the rusty bits out, filling and clamping the gaps with epoxy will do the trick. Im surprised these overriders last as long as they do in the elements.

If you have come across M288 bumper over-riders worse than those, I hope that you found them in the scrap bin rather being offered for sale! Evil or Very Mad

Nigel A. Skeet

NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: M-288 Factory headlight washer system? Reply with quote

Here is the headlamp-washer pump with which I was supplied. It looks good, but if it doesn't pump water I will be livid!

The small spigot which connects to the large spigot, had a shortened length of small-bore transparent tubing (would originally been 200 mm long I believe) attached to it, which I think would have connected to the inlet of the electric windscreen-washer pump.

These are the damaged windscreen-washer jets with which I was supplied; one of which has a retaining barb ripped off.

Nigel A. Skeet

notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: M-288 Factory headlight washer system? Reply with quote

You will be lucky if the pump works. Mine worked for a day, then pooped out. Ive since bought two modern ones to fit inline to replace it. Id toss those windshield squirters in the bin. They are cheap to buy new with the two or thee holes. Same with the original pump for the windscreen. Its an old early Golf type pump. Loud as shit and takes a minute to pump up. Ive since bought a replacement for that as well.

The only value in your purchase is the tank, column switch, relays, wiring harness & overriders, the rest is rubbish or will be soon.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: