Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 55, 56, 57  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

The gearing difference is closer to 9%, not 6%. Read the tire companies specs for this, rev/mile not diameter. I have been running 215/75/15 for 20 years on 2wd and Syncro vans. With stock engines it is a little too much when loaded down and dealing with major hills. I have always managed to get that size into the spare well up front but it isn't easy. (Narrow rims help with that, 6" or 6.5" as going with 7" is a major squeeze.)

Mark

bobbyblack wrote:
llilibel03 wrote:
Anybody roll BFG 215/75r15 with stock power? How's that?

I drive stock diameter, sorry... (BFG 195/75/14) but the math says that the 27" tires you are talking about are around 6% difference....
llilibel03
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:
The gearing difference is closer to 9%, not 6%. Read the tire companies specs for this, rev/mile not diameter. I have been running 215/75/15 for 20 years on 2wd and Syncro vans. With stock engines it is a little too much when loaded down and dealing with major hills. I have always managed to get that size into the spare well up front but it isn't easy. (Narrow rims help with that, 6" or 6.5" as going with 7" is a major squeeze.)

Mark

bobbyblack wrote:
llilibel03 wrote:
Anybody roll BFG 215/75r15 with stock power? How's that?

I drive stock diameter, sorry... (BFG 195/75/14) but the math says that the 27" tires you are talking about are around 6% difference....

A little to much...but not too much?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

I was ok with the 215/75/15 apparent power loss most of the time. It became more obvious when traveling with other Vanagons with their smaller tires and they would pull away from me on some long mild grades. At other times I had the advantage since I could go faster in 3rd than they wanted to and so I pulled away from them on some steeper hills. The more significant power loss for me was offroad in my Syncros. I regeared my heavy camper Syncro to 5.43 just to compensate for this, giving me slightly better than stock crawling capability, and restoring the original 4th gear power with a .82 set, plus a 1.17 3rd to narrow the gaps, blah blah blah.

Over the many years of different tranny gearing, tire sizes, and engine swaps I've come to appreciate how well balanced the factory configurations are overall. I think 215/65/16 is as large as I would go with stock wbx engines and stock tranny gearing.

Mark
llilibel03
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Thanks. I'm slowly becoming aware of a consensus- 27" max diameter for stock 2wds. Mine is not stock- it's a tiico which should have slightly more HP. But coming from a stock 2.1 tin top, the tiico westy feels like it has less power.

I have 15" rims so my altered choices are very limited. I think the Yokohama Geolandars are about the only option...General Grabbers, but slightly under rated..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

llilibel03 wrote:
I think the Yokohama Geolandars are about the only option...General Grabbers, but slightly under rated..

I've had two sets of ATS's on my 2wd (215/70/15) and have the new ATG015 on my Syncro (215/70/16) and have been very pleased with them. The ATG015's are supposedly better in snow and ice traction, but that remains to be seen.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

simpletire currently has a heck of a great price on 205/70/15 XL100 Nokian Nordsman 5s for $61ea delivered.
I've had great traction, handling and wear on a previous old set that I bought used..

I ordered (5). you can use Paypal if you prefer. or not.
https://simpletire.com/nokian-205-70r15-t428786-tires

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
flomulgator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Has anyone used the new generation of Nokian "eco studs"? While I used to run studs in the 90s and early aughts, for the last decade I've been strongly in favor of "studless" winter snow tires due to their lower noise, greater social responsibility, and frankly, fantastic performance.

However, Nokian says they've solved the downsides of stud use, so I'm curious if anyone can back Nokian's claims with real-world experience.

https://www.nokiantires.com/innovation/innovations/nokian-eco-stud-8-concept/
jeffsab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
simpletire currently has a heck of a great price on 205/70/15 XL100 Nokian Nordsman 5s for $61ea delivered.

Thanks for the heads-up. I ordered a set. $59.92 ea with free shipping! That's about half the usual price I've paid for snow tires.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

tires arrived yesterday and man they're a good looking tire..
if they perform as well as my last set I'll be more than satisfied..
we take my old sest NY to FL at Christmas every other year.. road temps range from 10*f-90*f and were stable and well mannered at all temperatures..
danfromsyr wrote:
I've had great traction, handling and wear on a previous old set that I bought used..

I ordered (5). you can use Paypal if you prefer. or not.
https://simpletire.com/nokian-205-70r15-t428786-tires

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Please tell us the date codes on them. I'd like to buy some but only if they are reasonably fresh.

thanks,
Mark

danfromsyr wrote:
tires arrived yesterday and man they're a good looking tire..
if they perform as well as my last set I'll be more than satisfied.....
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

iirc, they are (39 or 41-16) but I'll double check when I get home..

at $60ea shipped.. I am sure they are not 2017 tires..

for me snow tires will age out before they wear out.. my old set have a 4 & 6 showing in the tread (Nokian's tread wear indicators start at 8mm) I bought them used several years ago and they are made in Year 2000. and I still wouldn't hesitate to use them.. in fact I did all summer on one van and then as a spare called into service on more than half of our 68oo mile trip this sept..
I'm not a expiration date worrier.
but for $60ea I'll take new anytime/day.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Thanks for posting the tires. Built last year wouldn't worry me either. I just like to know what I'm getting and the price is low enough to make me wonder. I have very little need for snow tires but for the price I was thinking about having a set to put on from time to time. They would likely expire before they were worn out so I wouldn't want to start out with them already old.

Mark

danfromsyr wrote:
I'm not a expiration date worrier.
but for $60ea I'll take new anytime/day.
llilibel03
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Why would tires of identical size (diameters) and max psi have different revolutions per mile?

I was comparing Firestone Destination AT and General Grabbers in 205/75r15.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

there can be slight variation in final diameter (and circumference) in tires of the same size "class".. often attributed to tread thickness variations.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

The tire companies measure the revolutions over a distance for a given tire. That is more accurate than the diameter for gearing considerations as the diameter is meant for clearance purposes.

Mark
vik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:25 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Can you help me please?

I can´t decide between 225/75 R16 and 215/70 R16 tire packages.
What are the pros and cons for each?

Bus is 2.1 Syncro
Thank you
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

on a stock motor?
with a stock unreinforced $yncro transmission?

the 225/75/16 is 29.5in tall~710 revolutions per mile with a 92in circumference
the 215/70/16 is 28in tall. ~746 revolutions per mile with a 87.5in circumference

pros,
look bitching.. or isn't it badass that the man-bun hipsters are saying these days.
roll over slightly larger rocks and dips than the smaller tires

cons.. well there are many.... but to name a few
longer gearing that causes speedometer to read slower than actual speed.
tire has more leverage against the efforts of the engine and brakes
longer acceleration time
longer braking distances
less MPGs
more strain against the gears and transmission internal bearings..
more leverage against the driveline and increased chance of snapping CV joints

vik wrote:
Can you help me please?

Bus is 2.1 Syncro
Thank you

vik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
on a stock motor?
with a stock unreinforced $yncro transmission?

the 225/75/16 is 29.5in tall~710 revolutions per mile with a 92in circumference
the 215/70/16 is 28in tall. ~746 revolutions per mile with a 87.5in circumference

pros,
look bitching.. or isn't it badass that the man-bun hipsters are saying these days.
roll over slightly larger rocks and dips than the smaller tires

cons.. well there are many.... but to name a few
longer gearing that causes speedometer to read slower than actual speed.
tire has more leverage against the efforts of the engine and brakes
longer acceleration time
longer braking distances
less MPGs
more strain against the gears and transmission internal bearings..
more leverage against the driveline and increased chance of snapping CV joints

vik wrote:
Can you help me please?

Bus is 2.1 Syncro
Thank you

EJ25 is going to meet my bus around new year.
Transmission is stock at the moment.
jeffsab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
iirc, they are (39 or 41-16) but I'll double check when I get home..

at $60ea shipped.. I am sure they are not 2017 tires..

Mine came today DOT code on all 4 is 2116.
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Hi,

I have a 1990 Westy. Looking to upgrade from the stock 14". I have a couple of questions I can;t find answers on:

1/ Is there a chart somewhere than can tell me which rim width (6", 6.5"...) will accommodate which tire width (195, 205, 215...) ?

2/ Is there a big handling difference between 15" and 16"? I imagine 15" tires are cheaper, so why bother with 16"?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 55, 56, 57  Next
Jump to:
Page 29 of 57

Jump to: