Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1969 Westy project
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Derek Cobb
Annoying

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Westy project Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
X2, interior is sick!

Sorry about your carb problems.

Thanks. The carb troubles are nearly behind me now. I have learned a bunch messing with these and despite banging my head against the walls trying to figure them out I find the solutions satisfying and get a real sense of accomplishment when I finally get things right.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Derek Cobb
Annoying

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Westy project Reply with quote

Brakes, brakes BRAKES!! Been getting some weirdness with the brakes so I decided to dive in. I know there has been a lot of monkey business with the braking system by the PO, but since they were working I simply left well enough alone. It has later model disc brakes with a vacuum booster and I had no idea what they were until I took it all apart today.
Looks like late 71 ATE calipers (14 mm bolt holes and dual bleeder nipples). Hard lines were hand bent and really crusty. No leaks, but I think one bad bump might crack any one of these rusty lines.
Rotors have a lot of deep pitting, but no real wear at all. I took them to an old-school repair shop to get a light turning. I had to call seven shops before I could find someone with a brake lathe.
The brake reservoir has been leaking so I'm going to convert to a bug dual reservoir behind the drivers seat and add the double nipples to the master. I like to be able to tell if either circuit has been loosing fluid and you can't with the original style set-up.
going to hit the calipers with a wire brush and give them a good paint job while I'm waiting for all the parts to come in.

You guys have any opinion on what color looks best?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Westy project Reply with quote

Quote:
Looks like late 71 ATE calipers (14 mm bolt holes and dual bleeder nipples).

71 had 12mm bolt holes.

Disc Brake Conversions

Good luck
Tcash
Derek Cobb
Annoying

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Westy project Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
Quote:
Looks like late 71 ATE calipers (14 mm bolt holes and dual bleeder nipples).

71 had 12mm bolt holes.

Disc Brake Conversions

Good luck
Tcash

I read somewhere that late 71 had 14mm holes, but gawd only knows what these things came off of.
I chose orange.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Fear not! I ordered new bleeder valves, brake lines, pads, anti-squeal shims, pins and cross springs so they ought to look really nice when they go back on. I just hope the pads were the correct ones, 'cause I really ain't sure if they needed the 13mm thick ones or the 10mm thick ones.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Westy project Reply with quote

Those look like the 73-79 ATE Calipers
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6912695#6912695
Derek Cobb
Annoying

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Westy project Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
Those look like the 73-79 ATE Calipers
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6912695#6912695

I hope so. I ordered the fat pads.
Derek Cobb
Annoying

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Westy project Reply with quote

Put the brakes back together today. Every freakin' hard line needed replaced! I installed a bug style dual brake fluid reservoir behind the drivers seat to replace the impossible to seal single with that big weird leaky hose. There were no locating springs on the calipers, no wavy washers on the caliper bolts, no grommets on the rusty lines and the bleeders were terribly rusty.
I've got a lot of bleeding to do, so I'm going to try out one of those vacuum bleeders.
Derek Cobb
Annoying

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Westy project Reply with quote

So, even with brand new bleeders, I can't get a good seal to bleed the old calipers. The threads are just too loose and hogged out. Time to order new calipers. Waiting again...
Derek Cobb
Annoying

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Westy project Reply with quote

Calipers were replaced brakes bled and it's all good now. Good firm pedal ater three bleeding attempts.
Got some backfiring on deceleration and found two big cracks right after the collector. Time for new mufflers. Anyone have any good deals on dual QP's with a Bugpack flange?
thebayfromak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Westy project Reply with quote

Derek Cobb wrote:
It's a simple refrigerated cooler. 12 volts and it drops the temperature inside about 20 or 30 degrees. It also has a 110 adapter.
The finish is something I concocted to get a very specific look. I used very diluted latex paint in three different colors (white, grey and tan) and applied them like stain. Dry brushed the color on, wiped off the excess. Let it dry and then applied the next color. some of the colors just got the driest of brush strokes to simulate wood-grain. In the end, you can still see the actual wood-grain of the Baltic Birch but it has a very high end laminate look. Finally it was coated with a water-based Poly and polished with some extremely fine sandpaper. It looks even better in person, I think.
The kitchen box is attached with a bolt through the bulkhead behind the passenger seat, but I'm going to add some button leg bases and fit them into holes in the flooring as the one bolt isn't quite enough I think.

Reviving this old thread! Can you give me any more specifics on how you applied the paints or brand/type of paint used? I'm pretty much at the point to do the same thing on my '72, how much did you dilute each? Any specific order to applying the white, grey and tan? Do you remember the brands for the paints? Thanks a ton for the help! Laughing
Derek Cobb
Annoying

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Westy project Reply with quote

thebayfromak wrote:
Derek Cobb wrote:
It's a simple refrigerated cooler. 12 volts and it drops the temperature inside about 20 or 30 degrees. It also has a 110 adapter.
The finish is something I concocted to get a very specific look. I used very diluted latex paint in three different colors (white, grey and tan) and applied them like stain. Dry brushed the color on, wiped off the excess. Let it dry and then applied the next color. some of the colors just got the driest of brush strokes to simulate wood-grain. In the end, you can still see the actual wood-grain of the Baltic Birch but it has a very high end laminate look. Finally it was coated with a water-based Poly and polished with some extremely fine sandpaper. It looks even better in person, I think.
The kitchen box is attached with a bolt through the bulkhead behind the passenger seat, but I'm going to add some button leg bases and fit them into holes in the flooring as the one bolt isn't quite enough I think.

Reviving this old thread! Can you give me any more specifics on how you applied the paints or brand/type of paint used? I'm pretty much at the point to do the same thing on my '72, how much did you dilute each? Any specific order to applying the white, grey and tan? Do you remember the brands for the paints? Thanks a ton for the help! Laughing

It was a long time ago, but I'll try to remember what I can. I used some sample pots of Sherwin Williams latex paint. I mixed enough water into the paint to make the consistancy just slightly thicker than water. I think we started with the gray, applied the tan then finished with the white. I used a short bristle paint brush and just dragged the tips across the wood following the grain and immediately wiped it off with a cotton rag. Remember you are simply using the pigment in the paint to stain the wood. Most of the paint should be wiped off. Make sure the original grain is still visible with each application. Finally I applied two or three coats of clear, water based poly, allowing each coat to dry and sanded each coat with some really fine sandpaper.
Derek Cobb
Annoying

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 1969 Westy project Reply with quote

Just an update on this thread. My old bus sat in the driveway for many months as life got too busy, and I decided to let her go. Sold it to a young, ambitious lad who wanted something to drive to the beach in.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: