Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1972 Bay Window Revival
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Bay Window Revival Reply with quote

type2rescuemaine wrote:
67ctbug wrote:
Ah, so you want it to look like the "Basic Campmobile"
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Minus the jalousie windows, yes👍

Nice! What are you going to do about the hole in the roof?
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
type2rescuemaine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 Bay Window Revival Reply with quote

67ctbug wrote:
type2rescuemaine wrote:
67ctbug wrote:
Ah, so you want it to look like the "Basic Campmobile"

Minus the jalousie windows, yes👍

Nice! What are you going to do about the hole in the roof?

67ctbug,
I plan on filling the hole with a sunroof. I've heard that the standard bay window sunroof if what the westfalias were made from, so hopefully if I can find one, it will work out.
If this doesn't work, I plan on selling the bus and finding another project. Tbis won't be too awful, though, because there is only $200 invested into this bus at the moment.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 Bay Window Revival Reply with quote

IIRC the 72 Westfalia would not have been a sunroof vehicle. They started cutting the roof out of Bus early on.
You may need to use a soft top.
http://www.parisbeetles.co.uk/bus-split-bay-sunroofs/4573728976
http://vwsunroofs.com/

Happy Friday
Tcash
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 Bay Window Revival Reply with quote

Tcash,
I measured the openings of a 69 sunroof bus and this Westy, and examined the pressings and they appear to be exactly the same. I guess we will see what can be found for sunroof components. We have a few leads to follow up on. We already have the bus. Might as well go for it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 Bay Window Revival Reply with quote

A little Sunroof Info
sunroof open stuck parts plastic cover cables FAQ
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 Bay Window Revival Reply with quote

Woah. Looks like we need to do some studying up. Thanks for the link Tcash.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Colonel Mosby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Bay Window Revival Reply with quote

Enroll in the school shop class and bug the teacher to show the ways of welding to you. You will probably start out as a "grinder" but your bus will give you lots of practice material and soon you will be a welding god. And you will have many new friends. Great skill to pick up at your age.
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 Bay Window Revival Reply with quote

Colonel Mosby wrote:
Enroll in the school shop class and bug the teacher to show the ways of welding to you. You will probably start out as a "grinder" but your bus will give you lots of practice material and soon you will be a welding god. And you will have many new friends. Great skill to pick up at your age.

They have their own VW shop class at home!
type2rescuemaine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Bay Window Revival Reply with quote

Hi all,

I've decided to let this bus go. I was going to restore it and make it a driver, but the tables have turned and I've decided I want to make my dad's 1962 Lotus White Kombi my driver instead. So, the 72 is for sale for $500. Check it out if you get a chance! Thanks
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2098591
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 Bay Window Revival Reply with quote

Well the decision was made and the bus has a new home now. I hope the new owner will put the bus to good use. It was my sons first vehicle, and he picked it out. He still has a year and a half until he is old enough to get his license. He now has his sights on our forlorn 62 Kombi. We will see.

KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 Bay Window Revival Reply with quote

type2rescuemaine wrote:
Hi all,

I've decided to let this bus go. I was going to restore it and make it a driver, but the tables have turned and I've decided I want to make my dad's 1962 Lotus White Kombi my driver instead.

I'm just curious... What attracted you to the splitty?

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
type2rescuemaine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 Bay Window Revival Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:
type2rescuemaine wrote:
Hi all,

I've decided to let this bus go. I was going to restore it and make it a driver, but the tables have turned and I've decided I want to make my dad's 1962 Lotus White Kombi my driver instead.

I'm just curious... What attracted you to the splitty?

There were a couple factors. First, the 62 Kombi that I'll be building is much more complete than the 72 was. But the main reason was that I can imagine that building and then driving the 62 will be much more enjoyable than doing so with the 72 would've been.
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 Bay Window Revival Reply with quote

It will definitely turn heads in high school. Dancing

Will you be creating a thread on the splitty rebuild? I rarely (never!) go into that forum, but I'd like to follow your progress. Good luck with it!

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
---WildIdea

Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 Bay Window Revival Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:

Will you be creating a thread on the splitty rebuild? I rarely (never!) go into that forum, but I'd like to follow your progress. Good luck with it!

Kent - whats the matter with the Split minivan Forum? Am I missing something?
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 Bay Window Revival Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:

You won't be disappointed. Burlyhammer and son do some killer work!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 Bay Window Revival Reply with quote

TomWesty wrote:
KentPS wrote:

You won't be disappointed. Burlyhammer and son do some killer work!

That's a lot of pressure.
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Bay Window Revival Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
KentPS wrote:

Kent - whats the matter with the Split minivan Forum? Am I missing something?

I'm sure there's nothing wrong with any of the other VW forums in The Samba. But my absolute favorite vehicle ever built is the Bay Window. So this is where I spend my sittin' and readin' time. I imagine that, in the past 13 months since I joined The Samba, I've spent over 1,000 hours reading and learning about my new favorite hobby (and money pit. Lol!)

---WildIdea

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: