Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

UK to Australia
Forum Index -> International Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Josh.maye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:32 am    Post subject: UK to Australia Reply with quote

Apologies if it's been done before, any help would be appreciated.
I'm planning on moving out to QLD September next year and want to take my '61 DC with me. I've found a company that can ship it for me.
It will be partly restored, but will need work when I'm out there, is this okay when importing to Australia?
What's the import process, and is there any record for a restoration garage in the area?
All points or recommendations are greatly appreciated.
J
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: UK to Australia Reply with quote

I have a 73 bay that will end up in Aus- and from some of the inquires- I've read- you will need every nook and cranny exposed for inspection for seeds and critters-(This service can be done by a bonded cleaner there.) then every original stock system must be there- though you can get an engineer from there to approve some things. doesn't have to be RHD. THEN you have to prove long ownership to avoid huge taxes.

I'm sure there's more, but thats the hear say I heard.

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Josh.maye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: UK to Australia Reply with quote

williamM wrote:
I have a 73 bay that will end up in Aus- and from some of the inquires- I've read- you will need every nook and cranny exposed for inspection for seeds and critters-(This service can be done by a bonded cleaner there.) then every original stock system must be there- though you can get an engineer from there to approve some things. doesn't have to be RHD. THEN you have to prove long ownership to avoid huge taxes.

I'm sure there's more, but thats the hear say I heard.

Cheers, I've had it since 2015, and have done various mods carried out over the years; narrowed beam, brake servo, IRS, do you know if I'd be expected to change it back?
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: UK to Australia Reply with quote

Not a clue- was last there in 73 with a backpack-- did read that you will need an engineers report on road worthiness of any modified chassis

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Josh.maye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:41 am    Post subject: Re: UK to Australia Reply with quote

williamM wrote:
Not a clue- was last there in 73 with a backpack-- did read that you will need an engineers report on road worthiness of any modified chassis

Could that be the mechanic that carried out the work or the likes of DVLA etc?
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:36 am    Post subject: Re: UK to Australia Reply with quote

we're talking "Government Officials"- here- other wise known as "home of the $100. hammer.

Kinda guess they have their own team that will descend on your beast- Might get in touch with the Australian VW clubs or even the Gov down there to see what is allowed.

Don't step in any!
Josh.maye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: UK to Australia Reply with quote

williamM wrote:
we're talking "Government Officials"- here- other wise known as "home of the $100. hammer.

Kinda guess they have their own team that will descend on your beast- Might get in touch with the Australian VW clubs or even the Gov down there to see what is allowed.

I've found a group on Facebook, so will pick their brains on it, as well as getting touch with a garage over there.
novetti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: UK to Australia Reply with quote

Do your research carefully.

You need to request an import approval from the Australian government prior shipping the vehicle. You can apply for that online.

I brought a few vehicles to Australia without much issues until the bullshaite re ''asbestos'' on vehicles started.

Hopefully things will iron out eventually because since march this year is been a complete chaos.

Are you really going to drive this around Australia? To get it fully licensed will need to be 100% roadworthy and as original as possible. Modified vehicles are a possible but expensive and a pain to get through the process.

I wish I had my split in UK to tour around Europe and sell it over there because if the government here don't come with common sense all these vehicles will locked in here forever.

Some clowns think is a good idea (idiots think the value will raise which is bullshit). It's better to cater for a global market when selling a classic car that a handful of wannabes and hippers down under.

Be warned !

Read and cry
http://www.ferraris-online.com/pages/article.php?reqart=FOC_201707_SS2
rhd914
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:14 am    Post subject: Re: UK to Australia Reply with quote

Hi, there are a few things you should check up on. First and most importantly, thet have started random inspections for asbestos, some cars coming in are hit with it, some are not. Can be horrific, google and see.
As car is pre 1974 and rhd, you won't have to do much to register.
Check "Federal office of road safety " and see what the requirements are.
Hope this is of some help, but do you homework first.
Geoff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> International All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: