Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hello new member here.
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrnikon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:26 pm    Post subject: Hello new member here. Reply with quote

Hey Don't have a VW yet but, am looking for one, just need to get the cash together. would love a Squareback. It would most likely a running project car I could work on. I know once I get one I will be popping in here for questions. I am still going through the massive amount of forms on here. However, I hope to get this project started.
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello new member here. Reply with quote

Welcome to TheSamba! Sounds like you have the right idea, keep us updated!
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Hello new member here. Reply with quote

Welcome! The best advice given here is to look for the most rust-free starting point you can. Mechanicals can be rebuilt by you or many shops, but deep chassis- or body-work gets really expensive if you don't have the tools and skills.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello new member here. Reply with quote

hellow.
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello new member here. Reply with quote

Buy one, then another, then another. You get the idea.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello new member here. Reply with quote

Buy the first running 71 beetle you see (cheapest of all air cooled VWs)- become a shadetree mechanic on it first and the right squareback will come along. By then you'll be better informed and even more jacked.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello new member here. Reply with quote

I have two 71 Beetles. What are you saying?
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: Hello new member here. Reply with quote

Welcome to the Samba!
Read before you buy. Like we all will tell you. Come west of the Continental divide to make your purchase as they bodies suffer less rustosis.
Enjoy

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
mrnikon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Hello new member here. Reply with quote

Thanks you all the quick tips. I have been looking at west coast cars, since i know with my dads old 80 Datsun 210 (wish he kept it) it had rust in the floors where you could see the street pas underneath you. the door sensor rusted out so he used a paint stirrer to trigger it.

So just get a 71 Beetle sine they are a bit more affordable, and are they a bit easier to work on?

And yes I have already envisioned a fleet of classic VWs for myself one day...
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Hello new member here. Reply with quote

You will appreciate that a squareback can haul a Lot! Do ship the best square you can find/afford on www.uShip.com if necessary or rent a UHaul tow dolly/trailer if within driving distance. We drove my son's '67 square 600 miles to buy my '69 w/automatic transmission and drove them both home without any serious problems. You do know that the square's rear seat folds down like all true station wagons. Cool
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chickengeorge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello new member here. Reply with quote

mrnikon wrote:
Hey Don't have a VW yet but, am looking for one, just need to get the cash together. would love a Squareback. It would most likely a running project car I could work on. I know once I get one I will be popping in here for questions. I am still going through the massive amount of forms on here. However, I hope to get this project started.

Welcome...
Type III's are undervalued and underappreciated. Getting one while they're not hot is a smart move.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello new member here. Reply with quote

under valued??? yikes!!! some of the morons around hear want $$$$$$$$ for rusted out shells..... I personaly dont think anything is undervalued.....not after eating a woffle house this am.....holykniptionshitbatman!!! dma prices were 3 x the last time I was there and that hasent been that long.....of corse I was outa town and that may be thier std prices.....I hope I didnt get a std from the ffing Shocked Wink Rolling Eyes , I do agree if you find a deal get it.some people want to sell and some want to tease but not realy sell...unless a moron comes along.dont be a moron.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello new member here. Reply with quote

^^^^^^^^^^^^moron fetish^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
mrnikon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello new member here. Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
under valued??? yikes!!! some of the morons around hear want $$$$$$$$ for rusted out shells..... I personaly dont think anything is undervalued.....not after eating a woffle house this am.....holykniptionshitbatman!!! dma prices were 3 x the last time I was there and that hasent been that long.....of corse I was outa town and that may be thier std prices.....I hope I didnt get a std from the ffing Shocked Wink Rolling Eyes , I do agree if you find a deal get it.some people want to sell and some want to tease but not realy sell...unless a moron comes along.dont be a moron.

I was looking a year or two ago and i could swear there were more out there. Also the prices dod seam a bit lower i think. Also Type 3 vs 412/411 any pros or cons for one or the other?
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello new member here. Reply with quote

Type 4s are another level of pain finding parts. Not for the novice!
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello new member here. Reply with quote

kawfee wrote:
I have two 71 Beetles. What are you saying?

They're plentiful, first of the DPs and cheap- a good combination. Facts are facts about the resale value of 71 being soft for many years- especially among 1302s.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
chickengeorge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Hello new member here. Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:

Well, when you're looking at a rusted out hulk of a 21 window for 30K, with production numbers identical to the '70 convertible I daily drive (which is worthless, I might add)...that's "overvalued". When you look at a square with production numbers right along those same lines and you can get a nice, clean driver for 10-15k, that's "undervalued".

Talk about undervalued, how about a Ghia? That's a beautiful, coachbuilt car with super-low production numbers and still less money than the same year bus. Stupid...
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello new member here. Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Type 4s are another level of pain finding parts. Not for the novice!

Agreed.
Next you have to decide, early or late. I say buy the most complete, unmolested car you can afford. A little more up front can save some headaches later.
Expect that there will be issues with wiring, as PO's seem to can't fix it on their own.
Also if it's been sitting for more than 12 years, it'll probably need some brake work, and fuel hose replacement. Both (or all) seem to be some of the #1 issues these cars deal with over time. Rolling Eyes
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello new member here. Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:

Next you have to decide, early or late. I say buy the most complete, unmolested car you can afford. A little more up front can save some headaches later.
Expect that there will be issues with wiring, as PO's seem to can't fix it on their own.
Also if it's been sitting for more than 12 years, it'll probably need some brake work, and fuel hose replacement. Both (or all) seem to be some of the #1 issues these cars deal with over time. Rolling Eyes

Agreed. Rust free, unmolested is the way to go.

Once you get a feel for how the ACVW should appear and function 'stock',I advise looking as many VWs you can. I learned a lot about what's worth paying for and what's not. Look at all the VWs you can make it out to see in person, look up prices for the parts which are needed to bring it back to the road.

Most Importantly, if that chassis has significant rust....walk away. Mechanical work can be done but unless you are into a true long-term project, chassis rust is the death sentence.
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello new member here. Reply with quote

chickengeorge wrote:
mark tucker wrote:

Well, when you're looking at a rusted out hulk of a 21 window for 30K, with production numbers identical to the '70 convertible I daily drive (which is worthless, I might add)...that's "overvalued". When you look at a square with production numbers right along those same lines and you can get a nice, clean driver for 10-15k, that's "undervalued".

Talk about undervalued, how about a Ghia? That's a beautiful, coachbuilt car with super-low production numbers and still less money than the same year bus. Stupid...

Man do I agree with you!
But value has to do with rarity and desirability which is hella subjective.
$100K Splittys, and 356 Porsche make no sense to me.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: