Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

After market parts quality- window seals/headliner
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
igotta40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:54 pm    Post subject: After market parts quality- window seals/headliner Reply with quote

Hey y'all I'm new to this forum, from the Houston area, with a question, seeking some feedback. We're getting this 1973 bay window refreshed, and I would like to know which vendor has the better quality window gaskets and headliner kit? I've looked at the online sites Wolfsburg West and Busdepot.

I've ordered parts from WW before with no issues.

Any advice is appreciated, thanks! Smile
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Oilspot11
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: After market parts quality- window seals/headliner Reply with quote

From the pic, that rubber looks decent.
Westfalia73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: After market parts quality- window seals/headliner Reply with quote

Cant comment on the headliner kit but I just used a front screen seal from WCM, it was awesome, made really well and fitted perfectly - part #241-121C. I put the screen in by myself, this seal made the job a breeze.
I will be getting all my window seals from there from now on as and when they are required.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
igotta40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: After market parts quality- window seals/headliner Reply with quote

My windshield and side window vent glass seals are new. The rest are dry rotted.

I also need new door & hatch seals.

Westfalia73, who is WCM?

Westfalia73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: After market parts quality- window seals/headliner Reply with quote

West Coast Metric.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Westfalia73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: After market parts quality- window seals/headliner Reply with quote

If it helps.......

Busdepot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: After market parts quality- window seals/headliner Reply with quote

Both WCM and WW use a combination of their own product, other aftermarket seals and OEM seals. (Yes, WCM too. The "made in the USA" refers only to those seals they make, not their entire catalog.) The vast majority of our Bus seals are OEM. We have found that they generally fit better and last longer. (And in cases where there is a better alternative, we ship that instead. We have even been known to ship a WW or WCM seal once in a while when we believed it to be superior.) I think you will be happy with the seals from any of us three. None of us sells crap (and there are plenty of vendors that do), so it may just come down to price. To that end, I should note that we offer a Samba discount and also a Big Project discount. The Samba discount gives you 5% off most orders over $50, and the Big Project discount gives you 10% off most orders over $1000. There are some exceptions, most notably sale items and made-to-order or special order items (all of which count toward the threshold but do not themselves get the discount). The 10% Big Project discount is PROJ1000 and goes in the referral field on checkout. The Samba code is available only to active posting Samba members, so you have to PM me for it. (Note, I will be at the SEMA trade show from 10/31 to 11/5 so if you PM me during that time you may not get an immediate reply.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: After market parts quality- window seals/headliner Reply with quote

Wait for the Airhead Parts door seals to be restocked. They did a run of them and sold out right quick because they actually fit with the special bonus that you can close the door without re-adjusting the hinges or any other tomfoolery. Search the forum, several members bought them and commented on them. The price is nice too.
Everything else you can be confident in buying from the usual suspects but I would see about the Airhead door seals.

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

Careful guys, a petulant child can grow up to be president these days.

**winter drivers: no survivors!**rust warrior**#keepbodyshopsbusy**
igotta40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: After market parts quality- window seals/headliner Reply with quote

This is great info y'all, thanks!
HerbieDave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: After market parts quality- window seals/headliner Reply with quote

A new shipment of the Bus door seals are on their way! should have them in time for our Christmas sale!

ROCKOROD71 wrote:
Wait for the Airhead Parts door seals to be restocked. They did a run of them and sold out right quick because they actually fit with the special bonus that you can close the door without re-adjusting the hinges or any other tomfoolery. Search the forum, several members bought them and commented on them. The price is nice too.
Everything else you can be confident in buying from the usual suspects but I would see about the Airhead door seals.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: After market parts quality- window seals/headliner Reply with quote

the window seals you have on the side windows are deluxe. They have the plastic liner in them. After a couple years it will start to turn black except for the corners. I replaced on both an Opel GT I had years ago and a 1971 bus. In both cases within 3 years it had black spots. There is an aluminum molding that can be used but it is more expensive. On our 1977 rather than go thru the hassle of those strips I just used the standard black window seals. Headliner we got from BusDepot and had it put in professionally. it is not a job for the faint hearted. Some people like the SewFine liners and upholstery.
igotta40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: After market parts quality- window seals/headliner Reply with quote

To Ron Salmon, PM sent, thanks
igotta40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: After market parts quality- window seals/headliner Reply with quote

Yes thanks I'm up to speeed on the window seal chrome strip, thanks
igotta40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: After market parts quality- window seals/headliner Reply with quote

The Airhead seals ar out of stock, I'll keep checking
surfbus23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:17 am    Post subject: Re: After market parts quality- window seals/headliner Reply with quote

I'd highly recommend Sewfine for your interior stuff and the Wolfsburg seals have been treating me well. Its not an option for the windows, but go German if you are redoing doors.
igotta40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: After market parts quality- window seals/headliner Reply with quote

Thanks surfbus,

I'm having Elvira's Upholstery in Houston recover my existing interior panels. She's finished the seats, they look spectacular. Photos ASAP.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: