Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

MOFOCO 1914 Dyno #'s, EGT's w/050 Rassers & HYD Lifters
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:52 pm    Post subject: MOFOCO 1914 Dyno #'s, EGT's w/050 Rassers & HYD Lifters Reply with quote

So, everyone has been asking about the HP potential of some of my heads, along with cooling ability. I also have gotten a lot of questions about the limits of my hydraulic lifters. So, I built a 1914cc with a CW crank, lite FW, I-beam 5.4" rods, Engle W120H cam, hydraulic lifters, AA 94's, 050 Rassers, 9.0 to 1 CR, solid rockers with 1.1 arms, MST Serp belt kit, Dual Weber 44IDF's and a 1 5/8" header and sideflow muffler. I wanted to build a realistic street engine that didn't cost $10,000+ and use as few "race" parts as possible. For example, I only used a 009 Dist with points, Bosch blue coil and standard wires. The total cost to buy this engine from me with clutch is $6099, all brand new.

118.5HP
6167RPM

113.1FT/LBS
4700RPM

EGT's were 1300's at 6000rpm but held steady between 1150 and 1250 degrees between 3000rpm and 4700rpm where typically most people will be driving.

https://www.facebook.com/mofoco?ref=ts&fref=ts

www.mofoco.com

Cylinder Head Reference Sheet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: MOFOCO 1914 Dyno #'s, EGT's w/050 Rassers & HYD Lifters Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

www.mofoco.com

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fivelugshortaxle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: MOFOCO 1914 Dyno #'s, EGT's w/050 Rassers & HYD Lifters Reply with quote

Those are pretty good numbers for a mild 1915
4340 84mm crank
AA 94mm p&c' s
Total seal 2nd ring, rest are Grants
5.5 h beams
Magnum straight cuts
Steve Long XR310 on a 106
CB 1.4 rockers
CB Magnaspark 2 distributor
NGK D7ea plugs
A1 lowdown 1 3/4 with single muffler
Dellorto 48's with 40 venturies
Kennedy Stage 2 with Daiken disc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Motor60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: MOFOCO 1914 Dyno #'s, EGT's w/050 Rassers & HYD Lifters Reply with quote

Are those tall manifolds? Would there be a difference between tall and short manifolds? I’d like to see the #s if you had time
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: MOFOCO 1914 Dyno #'s, EGT's w/050 Rassers & HYD Lifters Reply with quote

Do you have your own Dyno now?

That's great your putting things to the test. I noticed in your Facebook video on this Dyno run you were doing lots of short revs instead of a long sweep. It takes awhile to get the hang of opening the water flow just the right amount to not load the engine to quick. In my first attemps, I loaded the engine prematurely to fast and got a high number at low rpms but it wasn't pulling higher rpms it just loaded hard and stopped pulling higher, so it wasn't a real hp number, just a braking load shock number.

Hope that your able to make more and more pulls, its a tool every builder should have.
[email protected] MPH 1/4 Mile & 8.1 @ 83.7MPH in 1/8 Mile with Mild Type 1 VW Mag Case 2234cc commuter engine in stock weight bug w/only .491 total lift(CB2292 Cam), 42x37 heads, 48idf's, Street tires, Belt on, Mufflers, Pump gas, video of the run here: https://youtu.be/M3SPqMOKAOg

Transmission by MCMScott:
Rhino case, Klinkenberg 4.12, Superdiff, 002 mainshaft with 091 first idler. Weddle 1.48 Third & 1.14 Fourth.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: MOFOCO 1914 Dyno #'s, EGT's w/050 Rassers & HYD Lifters Reply with quote

Good test. Fairly good considering.

The big torque dip at 3500 is not great for a street engine tho. I think it's the exhaust side of the engine is causing that.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: MOFOCO 1914 Dyno #'s, EGT's w/050 Rassers & HYD Lifters Reply with quote

jpaull wrote:
Do you have your own Dyno now?

That's great your putting things to the test. I noticed in your Facebook video on this Dyno run you were doing lots of short revs instead of a long sweep. It takes awhile to get the hang of opening the water flow just the right amount to not load the engine to quick. In my first attemps, I loaded the engine prematurely to fast and got a high number at low rpms but it wasn't pulling higher rpms it just loaded hard and stopped pulling higher, so it wasn't a real hp number, just a braking load shock number.

Hope that your able to make more and more pulls, its a tool every builder should have.

No, I went to a raceshop to have them dyno it. I have one but after seeing his, I still need a lot of work to get mine rolling. The video was just the warm up. I also only got a couple real pulls.....had to get home to take the wife and kid out to dinner.

www.mofoco.com

[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: MOFOCO 1914 Dyno #'s, EGT's w/050 Rassers & HYD Lifters Reply with quote

modok wrote:
Good test. Fairly good considering.

The big torque dip at 3500 is not great for a street engine tho. I think it's the exhaust side of the engine is causing that.

The big torque dip was only 2.5ft/lbs from 3400 to 3500. Otherwise it pulled steady torque and hp all the way. Again, not a race engine.

What do you think it should have pulled? I've seen almost the exact same combo advertised by another company using a cam with .100" more lift getting the same HP.

www.mofoco.com

Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: MOFOCO 1914 Dyno #'s, EGT's w/050 Rassers & HYD Lifters Reply with quote

Just about bulls eye for a medium set up 1914 with off the shelf parts. I have seen a lot of 1914 engines with that cam (in the solid version though) and and similar type heads pull in the 118 - 125 hp window.
Erhm, the torque dip is much wider, almost 500 rpm.

The dip in the curve is most certainly a combination of the header being on the large side for the engine and an intake resonanse.

Swop to a 1½" and rejet, and the dip will reduce a lot. Maybe even pick up a pony or two.

T
PS. I just copied and enlarged the screen print. The dip looks a bit odd. - Maybe it does not like the tall manifolds. I would definitely try a smaller header and shorter manifolds and see where that got me.

T

Last edited by Alstrup on Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:03 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: MOFOCO 1914 Dyno #'s, EGT's w/050 Rassers & HYD Lifters Reply with quote

Alstrup posted some 1914 combos in the past on the Engine Builds/Combo sticky above (this one is on page 6, and he also has one on page 7 using a Webcam 163 making 136hp, and 192Nm of torque). He is using smaller valved heads (although ported) and a solid lifter camshaft. Did you do an A/F reading and jet and time that engine? I think there is more left in it.

This is a 1914 that was built over the last approx 2½ months for a VERY nice 1960 beetle.:

Line bored dual relief case, modified for full flow.
CB 69 mm counterweighted crankshaft
CB 200 mm flywheel. 13½ lbs.
KEP stage 1 Pressure plate
All dynamically balanced
Exedy super disc.
Unitech HD rods, ligthed 20 gr. (545 gr) Rebalanced.
Cam: A variant of the Web 110 cam. 256 degr. @ 0,050”. 0,495/0,435” lift. 108 LC.
CB lightweight lifters.
26 mm Shadek oil pump, blueprinted.
CB 1,3 l. thin line oil sump
CSP full flow cover.
CB Cromemoly 8 mm head studs.
AA 94 mm pistons and cylinders. Checked, but in balance.
CB 044 cylinderheads, 40 x 35 mm valves, Ported to my stage II. (170 cfm @ 25") Oteva sgl. valve springs, CB titanium retainers. 9,8 – 1 CR.
CB HD rocker shafts.
Porsche style adjusters.
ACN aluminium push rods.
German 009 distributor w. Ignitor module. Pertronix 3 ohm coil.
CSP 30 hp fanshroud w. doghouse & fresh air.
NOS dual 40 mm Dellorto´s on CB offset manifolds.
CSP 1½” street sport exhaust system

143.6HP and 189Nm of torque
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: MOFOCO 1914 Dyno #'s, EGT's w/050 Rassers & HYD Lifters Reply with quote

Why the hydraulic lifters?
vince1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:00 am    Post subject: Re: MOFOCO 1914 Dyno #'s, EGT's w/050 Rassers & HYD Lifters Reply with quote

A friend imported to France a 69 deluxe bay window equipped with a 1775 mofoco hyd lifters engine, never heard a flat 4 as quiet as this engine, you could barely listen any mechanical sound, just the single quiet pack caracteristic exhaust tone.

For family vans where you want to talk with your passengers I think it's a good selling point.

Click here for my full pix detailed 2165 engine build with beehive valvetrain.

Sorry for my poor English, I'm a French guy ... Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
UK Luke 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:53 am    Post subject: Re: MOFOCO 1914 Dyno #'s, EGT's w/050 Rassers & HYD Lifters Reply with quote

What limitations do those HYD lifters have?
Could you drop a 120 in there?
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: MOFOCO 1914 Dyno #'s, EGT's w/050 Rassers & HYD Lifters Reply with quote

Do your hyd lifters require machining the lifter bores larger (in the past I know of other companies using larger Ford hyd lifters), and do you have anything available that makes more power/is more aggressive than your hyd120 camshaft that is used in this build?
drumbum68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: MOFOCO 1914 Dyno #'s, EGT's w/050 Rassers & HYD Lifters Reply with quote

Roy, curious to know why numbers are crossing over 5500 rpm's?
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: MOFOCO 1914 Dyno #'s, EGT's w/050 Rassers & HYD Lifters Reply with quote

74 Thing wrote:
Do your hyd lifters require machining the lifter bores larger (in the past I know of other companies using larger Ford hyd lifters), and do you have anything available that makes more power/is more aggressive than your hyd120 camshaft that is used in this build?

We are the only company in the world to manufacture drop in hydraulic lifters for type 1 aircooled engines. Others have tried unsuccessfully in the past to copy us. Currently, the most aggressive hyd performance cam I have is the W120H. I could have used 1.25's instead of 1.1's to give it a little more lift.

I also really appreciate everyone's feedback. This engine is a specific build I did for a customer that just happened to fit what I wanted to dyno for a 1914. I will be getting numbers on my 2110 and 2276 over the next 6 weeks.

Like I said, I've had a lot of questions on power potential for my heads and cooling ability and I think this test proves what I have been saying for a long time.

www.mofoco.com

vwkirb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: MOFOCO 1914 Dyno #'s, EGT's w/050 Rassers & HYD Lifters Reply with quote

drumbum68 wrote:
Roy, curious to know why numbers are crossing over 5500 rpm's?

Torque is measured, horsepower is not.

HP = (TQ*RPM)/5250
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: MOFOCO 1914 Dyno #'s, EGT's w/050 Rassers & HYD Lifters Reply with quote

the torque scale is not same as HP scale, look at the numbers on the sides of the graph, that's why they don't cross at 5200
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: MOFOCO 1914 Dyno #'s, EGT's w/050 Rassers & HYD Lifters Reply with quote

modok wrote:
the torque scale is not same as HP scale, look at the numbers on the sides of the graph, that's why they don't cross at 5200

Yeah, not sure why the graph looks a little strange. Maybe it's the DOS operating system along with the early 90's monitor. Shocked

Here is the numerical readout that shows the numbers crossing at 5250.

www.mofoco.com

mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: MOFOCO 1914 Dyno #'s, EGT's w/050 Rassers & HYD Lifters Reply with quote

try some1.25& 1.34 rockers and see...and the small er header..... 40's might hep a tad too...find the best combo for a bus and a bug. there are somany diferent size intakes out there , tall short, offset, houmoungus and small streamlined runners. . and a dist with a good curve can do wonders. for those tq drops....get your dyno up and runnen and build your self a test mule....to be raffled off when it's done all the testing you need to do on that size motor. a good dynod motor thats proven & broken in should be a eazy raffel to do, then go on to the next size and do over.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: