Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Turning signal not operating
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
daneibling
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:25 pm    Post subject: Turning signal not operating Reply with quote

Noticed today that my turning signals do not blink in the dash, the light simply stays lit while the signal is on. I hopped out and checked the front and rear with each the right and left signals turned on. Nothing. It would appear that I have no working turning signals.

Is this a common problem? crazy Im just now running into this.

Where would I even start looking to resolve this?

The fuses are all about 5 months old, all seem to be well seated.

The turning signal lever does seem 'gummy' in the steering column, so this may have been caused by something else entirely.

suggestions?
vwsquare2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Turning signal not operating Reply with quote

Do the dash lights flash when you put on the emergency flasher?
daneibling
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Turning signal not operating Reply with quote

Checked the emergency flashers. The dash lights do not blink with this lever pulled either.

I took a flashlight to the fuses, looks like some of the connectors are corroded, and while this is an easy clean up, not sold that this is the culprit.
blues90
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Turning signal not operating Reply with quote

If the 2 lights in the dash light up and all 4 bulbs light the same amount brightness wise front and rear. I would remove the 2 screws that secure the fuse box and lower it down . There are three relays . The center one is the key warning buzzer might be gone , I removed mine long ago. there are two others if I recall pull each out and see it they are possibly not making good contact . I would try pulling each and then putting them back in if they work it was just a bad connection . If not then the flasher has gone bad.

I cannot recall since the Bentley does not show two and think both are the same relay.

Try that and see what happens. The turn lamps in the rear are the center bulb 1156 . Brake and tail are the top 1157 bulb and the backup are the bottom 1156 bulb.
daneibling
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: Turning signal not operating Reply with quote

So I started the process, never REALLY finished said process. Typical of me. That said I removed the plastic plate under the steering column and compressed the wire harnesses for the wipers and signals together, tested again, and presto, they work!
Though the high beams still do not work, and the signals do not return to the off position during or after the turn has been made, so the entire switch probably should be replaced at some point.

Cheers.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: