Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Clicking sound in shifter box when brakes are depressed
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kenney158
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:25 pm    Post subject: Clicking sound in shifter box when brakes are depressed Reply with quote

Just replaced calipers, pads, etc., on rear of 2003 Weekender. Disconnected emergency brake, bled rear brake lines.

Now when in Park I get a soft click out of the shifter when I push down on the brake, and a little louder click when letting up. No noises in drive, reverse, etc.

I'm assuming this is related to a switch in the trans that won't let the van start without the brake pedal being depressed.

Any info?
JMB3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Clicking sound in shifter box when brakes are depressed Reply with quote

There's a button in the shift knob. Try pressing the button without stepping on the brakes. It's supposed to disallow that.
IdeaNerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Clicking sound in shifter box when brakes are depressed Reply with quote

kenney158 wrote:

Now when in Park I get a soft click out of the shifter when I push down on the brake, and a little louder click when letting up. No noises in drive, reverse, etc.

I'm assuming this is related to a switch in the trans that won't let the van start without the brake pedal being depressed.

Yes, that's probably exactly what it is. It's a sound that's easy to not notice until you are tuned into it for whatever reason (for me, it was some transmission symptoms that had my ears perked up).

Does it run fine? i.e. hearing this sound is the only issue? If yes, you're probably fine, IMHO.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:54 am    Post subject: Re: Clicking sound in shifter box when brakes are depressed Reply with quote

That's the normal sound of the brake-shift interlock operating

Good Situational awareness.

Now let those 201 HP roar and pass all those other Vw merkin minivans with a sneer and a wave.
kenney158
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: Clicking sound in shifter box when brakes are depressed Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback all.

Abscate- never heard it before. Makes me wonder why now.
IdeaNerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Clicking sound in shifter box when brakes are depressed Reply with quote

That sound is always there, but very easy to get used to / ignore. It's kind of amazing what we filter out much of the time, in all kinds of recurring scenarios. Then, something tunes our ears up and we get "sensitized" to what was previously ignored / tuned out.

I had the exact same observations with this same sound (the shift lockout sound) after experiencing some odd transmission issues while climbing a hill. That had me worried for a bit, and the next few days, I heard that lockout sound like I'd never heard it before.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
57 Zwitter?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:23 am    Post subject: Re: Clicking sound in shifter box when brakes are depressed Reply with quote

Occasionally my 01 doesn't make that sound and I cannot get it out of park and into gear! Very annoying when someone is waiting for you to pullout of a parking spot. After many tries, I turn ignition off, restart van and then I can shift. So, my question is, Can I just remove that shift lock solenoid and be done with it?
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:37 am    Post subject: Re: Clicking sound in shifter box when brakes are depressed Reply with quote

I think you could but price it out first, as by the time you get down to it you have done 90% of the replacement job

Since I have 7 drivers in the house, my bias is to get rid of funky issues that are require addendums to the user manual.
57 Zwitter?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Clicking sound in shifter box when brakes are depressed Reply with quote

Replaced brake light switch....Problem Gone!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: