Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Here's a reason not to drive your Beetle daily
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:37 pm    Post subject: Here's a reason not to drive your Beetle daily Reply with quote

Got rear ended by a garbage truck and pushed into a F150.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

If I was in my Beetle... i'd be DEAD.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Here's a reason not to drive your Beetle daily Reply with quote

If you take the buy back option, you now have a Suby transplant for your VW. Twisted Evil

Glad that you're OK.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Here's a reason not to drive your Beetle daily Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
If you take the buy back option, you now have a Suby transplant for your VW. Twisted Evil

I already suggested it to a friend that has a shop. Told him to buy it and find a Vanagon with a blown engine.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Here's a reason not to drive your Beetle daily Reply with quote

Glad you chose not to drive the Bug that day! How fast was the truck going? And how did he not see you?!

There is no question the new cars are an order of magnitude safer by any measure. You can do everything right and still get hit.
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Here's a reason not to drive your Beetle daily Reply with quote

Glad you are ok! That accident sounds like CH_CHING! and you can buy another bug.

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Here's a reason not to drive your Beetle daily Reply with quote

Holy shit.. How's the neck and back? Shocked It appears you're ok?

I agree that taking any car on the road these days is a gamble. Whether our classic VW or modern car.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Here's a reason not to drive your Beetle daily Reply with quote

They didn't even pick up the garbage. Glad all is well
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Here's a reason not to drive your Beetle daily Reply with quote

Damn. hope you are ok. That sucks. Glad you're alive and it wasn't your beetle
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Here's a reason not to drive your Beetle daily Reply with quote

Wow that sucks man. Glad your ok...yeah. I don’t daily my vws... too many crazies out there.
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Here's a reason not to drive your Beetle daily Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Glad you chose not to drive the Bug that day! How fast was the truck going? And how did he not see you?!

There is no question the new cars are an order of magnitude safer by any measure. You can do everything right and still get hit.

Maybe if he were driving the Red VW the truck driver might have seen him. The human eye focuses on the color red first. Red cars get the most speeding tickets because that is what the human eye see first. It's is the scientific reason stop signs are red.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
minger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Here's a reason not to drive your Beetle daily Reply with quote

How many miles on the Honda 'driving appliance' did you have before getting the Subbie?
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Here's a reason not to drive your Beetle daily Reply with quote

Sorry to hear that. Good to hear you are ok. Cars can be replaced but people can not.

Take care of yourself this evening. Usually with accidents the pains don't show up until the next day.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Here's a reason not to drive your Beetle daily Reply with quote

Glad you're in good shape Glenn. Those Subarus are undeniably safe cars. A couple years ago here in fog, a trucker was hauling way too fast for conditions and absolutely crushed, rolled and dragged a new Subaru Forester beneath his trailer. The word "miracle" up to that point had never really had a limit. It was the worst crumpled up thing I've ever seen! If you have a second, read this story- you'll be in a new Subaru before you log off. I checked the link and it works.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&am...4sRsVHd9Yv

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Here's a reason not to drive your Beetle daily Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
Maybe if he were driving the Red VW the truck driver might have seen him. The human eye focuses on the color red first. Red cars get the most speeding tickets because that is what the human eye see first. It's is the scientific reason stop signs are red.

Nah.. he was what I thought was a reasonable distance, but i guess a 60,000lb truck doesn't stop in 6 car lengths.

minger wrote:
How many miles on the Honda 'driving appliance' did you have before getting the Subbie?

My 84 Accord had 245,000 when it got T-boned, the 99 Accord had 250,000 when the tranny wend and my 01 Civic had 262,000 when the head gasket went for the second time.

The Subaru has 26,000 and I already told the dealer to price a Impreza replacement and maybe.. a WRX.

Anyone know a Vanagon that needs an engine? The engine runs and nothing leaked so I bet its still good.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Here's a reason not to drive your Beetle daily Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
The engine runs and nothing leaked so I bet its still good.

The "ran good when parked" story again Laughing
Glad you are OK so you can continue cycling
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Here's a reason not to drive your Beetle daily Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:

Anyone know a Vanagon that needs an engine?

All of them! Laughing

Glad you came out on top of this one.

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jennepher Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Here's a reason not to drive your Beetle daily Reply with quote

Whew, glad you're ok, Glenn.

If your post begins "I know this is against the rules but..." just stop typing.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Here's a reason not to drive your Beetle daily Reply with quote

Similar thing happened to my wife in August of 2016. An F150 hauling a big ass boat on a triple axle trailer rear ended her and pushed her into the Subaru in front of her. She was OK, but our beloved 95 Soob was totaled. It still runs perfectly, and awaits my future transplant plans while sitting patiently in the backyard. I bought it back for $135.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Here's a reason not to drive your Beetle daily Reply with quote

Damn, that is nasty but glad you are ok.

Put the Subi in your Bug. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Here's a reason not to drive your Beetle daily Reply with quote

Glad you are OK!
Similar story here. We were in our Prius waiting at a red light when an F250 rear ended us going about 25 MPH. The Prius cabin survived intact but the car was totaled.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: