Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Headlight Question
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlight Question Reply with quote

Yes, but you don't have to cut the wire if you prefer not. Just peel a little insulation off the brown wire on the left and right sides. Wrap the end of a piece of wire around each newly bare section and solder it. Then screw the other ends to the body nearby, using ring terminals of course. If you do this on both sides they will be redundant and if either new ground should have a problem in the future the other one can act as the ground for both sides. This process also shortens the ground path and raises the voltage seen by the headlight bulbs, making them brighter.

Mark
Spey Caster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlight Question Reply with quote

In my conversion kit the two relays were the same. So to check what was going on, I simply swapped them. Low beams came on (they were out). High beams would not (they worked before).

So replaced the relays. Did both at same time and kept a spare.

Problem solved. This was 5 days ago
raoul mitgong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlight Question Reply with quote

I had that problem, headlight out but blue bright indicator on. Turned out to be grounds.
-d
91 Westy (Only the top 12 inches of this van (a burn victim))
Vnyd Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlight Question Reply with quote

raoul mitgong wrote:
I had that problem, headlight out but blue bright indicator on. Turned out to be grounds.
-d

Thanks. I’ve just finished adding two new ground pigtails at the front buckets. Will see how it works and await the new switch from my V-C friends. Hoping for oatmeal raisin! Wink
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: