Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Here's a reason not to drive your Beetle daily
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:27 am    Post subject: Re: Here's a reason not to drive your Beetle daily Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:

Maybe if he were driving the Red VW the truck driver might have seen him. The human eye focuses on the color red first. Red cars get the most speeding tickets because that is what the human eye see first. It's is the scientific reason stop signs are red.

That's interesting. Is it possible that many see the color red as a "power" color since often times you see politicians wearing a red tie? Or possibly the red tie makes them standout more.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:01 am    Post subject: Re: Here's a reason not to drive your Beetle daily Reply with quote

Red is a high visibility color... a power color. aka "arrest me red".

But in my situation... it wouldn't help. It was a matter of physics. a 60,000lb vehicle traveling at 35mph needs way more distance than a all wheel drive compact car.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Here's a reason not to drive your Beetle daily Reply with quote

Glad you are ok, and no VW's ere harmed.
I suppose we can pretend we didn't see any subaru.
IMO that falls under the don't ask don't tell policy.
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Here's a reason not to drive your Beetle daily Reply with quote

Some one is going to say it, so I will "that'll buff out" Did you buy all those Honda's new and put those miles on yourself ?

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:30 am    Post subject: Re: Here's a reason not to drive your Beetle daily Reply with quote

16CV's wrote:
Some one is going to say it, so I will "that'll buff out" Did you buy all those Honda's new and put those miles on yourself ?

Stacy

No, the 84 had 60,000, the 99 had 81,000 and the 01 had 106,000.

Already ordered a replacement and should have it in a few days.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I like the darker color better but that's the only grey they offered.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: Here's a reason not to drive your Beetle daily Reply with quote

Glad you walked away. Subaru is a safe vehicle, does not matter which model. Trash company should buy you the new one.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Here's a reason not to drive your Beetle daily Reply with quote

gt1953 wrote:
Trash company should buy you the new one.

I wish it worked that way but it doesn't.

I put the claim through my collision and they're cutting me a check today. If I waited for the town to pay me, it will be the next model year. They gave me a fair payout, $4000 less than i paid for it. That's not back since i put 27,000 miles on it. If it was a lease, it of cost me more.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Here's a reason not to drive your Beetle daily Reply with quote

glad you are OK....But I gotta forward this to the guy that I have been going back and forth on about my feeling that classic bugs are not the safest things around.........
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Here's a reason not to drive your Beetle daily Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
gt1953 wrote:
Trash company should buy you the new one.

I wish it worked that way but it doesn't.

I put the claim through my collision and they're cutting me a check today. If I waited for the town to pay me, it will be the next model year. They gave me a fair payout, $4000 less than i paid for it. That's not back since i put 27,000 miles on it. If it was a lease, it of cost me more.

Yes, the insurance will get it from the Trash company - their job is pay you and take care of things on the back end.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Here's a reason not to drive your Beetle daily Reply with quote

I'm glad you're OK, Glenn. I can vouch for the Impreza (at least the 2016 model). My daughter has one and it's been a great vehicle for her. Lots of room without taking up a lot of real estate, unlike my extended cab Toyota T100.
Floating VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Here's a reason not to drive your Beetle daily Reply with quote

andk5591 wrote:
glad you are OK....But I gotta forward this to the guy that I have been going back and forth on about my feeling that classic bugs are not the safest things around.........

That would be me. We have decided to continue our debate via PM, but if anyone else has an interest in this topic and would like to join in, I suggested reviving one of these fine threads (the first one just happens to be my favorite):

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=635527
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=437727
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=676216
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=661768&postdays=0&postorder=asc

P.S. I would also like to express my profound relief that no humans or VW's were injured in this accident. You dodged a bullet on that one!
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Here's a reason not to drive your Beetle daily Reply with quote

Floating VW wrote:
P.S. I would also like to express my profound relief that no humans or VW's were injured in this accident. You dodged a bullet on that one!

Agreed...

Replacing one "driving appliance", with a newer one.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Here's a reason not to drive your Beetle daily Reply with quote

Glad the white tags didn't get smooshed. I dislike the yellow ones.
rustfree1967bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Here's a reason not to drive your Beetle daily Reply with quote

Glen it sounds like your hondas died early on you. Got vw's with more miles on the original engines with more miles and still going strong. And how do you know for a fact you'd be dead if you were in your vw?
'66 sunroof beetle
'74 bus
'67 so-42

IDA's...well... they talk dirty -MURZI
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Here's a reason not to drive your Beetle daily Reply with quote

rustfree1967bug wrote:
And how do you know for a fact you'd be dead if you were in your vw?

60,000lb. truck going 35mph, pushing me into a 4500lb truck..

What do you think?

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Here's a reason not to drive your Beetle daily Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
rustfree1967bug wrote:
And how do you know for a fact you'd be dead if you were in your vw?

60,000lb. truck going 35mph, pushing me into a 4500lb truck..

What do you think?

I agree. While the rear end damage may be similar. the Subaru took the frontal impact whereas beetles have a 60 year history of "submarining" when smashed in to taller vehicles ahead.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Here's a reason not to drive your Beetle daily Reply with quote

I had food poisoning a time or two..I guess I should stop eating every day.
my old 600+ hp prostreeter got rearended once, I changed the rear quarter my self and painted it it was at the track 3 hours after the paint gun was cleaned, a few years ago it sold for over $36000.00 , and yes I drove it daily.if a car is worth building correctly it's worth driving.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Here's a reason not to drive your Beetle daily Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
I had food poisoning a time or two..I guess I should stop eating every day.
my old 600+ hp prostreeter got rearended once, I changed the rear quarter my self and painted it it was at the track 3 hours after the paint gun was cleaned, a few years ago it sold for over $36000.00 , and yes I drove it daily.if a car is worth building correctly it's worth driving.

What's your point?

Was your "prostreeter" rear ended by a 60,000lb truck? I ASSume not, since it just needed the rear quarter changed.

And the insurance company decided it was cheaper to total the car, 17 months old and no airbag went off, than repair it. (not like i wanted it back).

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Bob Loblaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Here's a reason not to drive your Beetle daily Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
mark tucker wrote:
some unintelligible muttering and ranting

What's your point?

C'mon. You know better than that.
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Here's a reason not to drive your Beetle daily Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:

The Subaru has 26,000 and I already told the dealer to price a Impreza replacement and maybe.. a WRX.

Anyone know a Vanagon that needs an engine? The engine runs and nothing leaked so I bet its still good.

Contact Skills in the baywindow forum. He can put it to use!

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

Careful guys, a petulant child can grow up to be president these days.

**winter drivers: no survivors!**rust warrior**#keepbodyshopsbusy**
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: