Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What to offer for a all original 61 bug
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
flyboy161
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: What to offer for a all original 61 bug Reply with quote

DUDE! You have got to be the all time winner of the patience award. Love the '61. This is an awesome thread

The 1964...Diamond in the rough
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=612776

My 1958 Morocco Bug-
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=611483
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: What to offer for a all original 61 bug Reply with quote

Derek Cobb wrote:
I also got this 72 in the deal. Has been sitting under about six tarps for the last twenty years.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Same kooky painting on the engine!

It must have something to do with voodoo or the Sacrament of Ganja or something.
pbenn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: What to offer for a all original 61 bug Reply with quote

Impressed at the hubcaps, and the spare.
mstevens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: What to offer for a all original 61 bug Reply with quote

This is an amazing story. I am in awe of how long you waited for this deal to go through and am extremely jealous of the shape that 61 is in. I wish my 61 Rag was half as clean as that one.

If you were any closer I would be begging to you sell it to me... Twisted Evil
Derek Cobb
Annoying

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: What to offer for a all original 61 bug Reply with quote

mstevens wrote:
This is an amazing story. I am in awe of how long you waited for this deal to go through and am extremely jealous of the shape that 61 is in. I wish my 61 Rag was half as clean as that one.

If you were any closer I would be begging to you sell it to me... Twisted Evil

I've waited too long to get this gem to consider selling it anytime soon, but basically everything I own is for sale for the right price. I really look forward to going through this thing end to end and getting it fully roadworthy and as original as I possibly can.
I need good references for things like upholstery, wheel color and engine details so I don't make any dumb mistakes and miss any detail.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sump-plug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: What to offer for a all original 61 bug Reply with quote

Wow! this is an amazing story.
A note about the swastika: not all swastikas indicate Nazism. The symbol used by the Nazi party was at an angle, not as seen on the air cleaner in the picture posted. The symbol has been around for ~12,000 years in various religions.

Interesting reading:
http://www.ancient-origins.net/myths-legends/symbol-swastika-and-its-12000-year-old-history-001312

Good luck with the bug!
Derek Cobb
Annoying

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: What to offer for a all original 61 bug Reply with quote

So the buyer I had for the 72 flaked out on me and I don't have room for two projects at once. Guess I'll be posting that one up for sale. I really wish I could build both of them, but there's only so many hours in the day.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Derek Cobb
Annoying

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: What to offer for a all original 61 bug Reply with quote

Time for a sad update. The deal never happened. I had the cash in hand and for weeks I just couldn't get the owners to commit to simply show up and let me take the cars. They were always too busy and difficult to get ahold of.

I know the cars are still right there where I left them. I still imagine scenarios where I finally manage to roll away with the 61, but for now they just sit and wait.

Patience....
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: What to offer for a all original 61 bug Reply with quote

Wow what a crazy story! The '61 looks to be a fine car, maybe it will be yours one day yet.

I agree with another poster that the swastika painted is not a Nazi reference, but more of a spiritual reference maybe of Native American or Hindu origins. But either way, I'm not to fond of the engine "art" either and it would have to go if they were my cars lol.
boxkiteflyer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: What to offer for a all original 61 bug Reply with quote

+1 on this as a wild crazy story! It has entertaining responses, too! I laughed so hard at the 'stalker' and 'beer' comments! I really hope you get the '61, though. It is a great looking car. I'm with you and would have to do something about the art work on the engine.
raycer60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: What to offer for a all original 61 bug Reply with quote

Derek Cobb wrote:
Time for a sad update. The deal never happened.

Now I am really lost with this story.

What happened to: "The deal is done!! After twenty years I've finally gotten the car!"?
And: "So the buyer I had for the 72 flaked out on me and I don't have room for two projects at once."
So, you were selling a car that you didn't even have in your hands?
Derek Cobb wrote:
I had the cash in hand and for weeks I just couldn't get the owners to commit to simply show up and let me take the cars..

Sorry, did I skip a page?
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: What to offer for a all original 61 bug Reply with quote

raycer60 wrote:
Derek Cobb wrote:
Time for a sad update. The deal never happened.

Now I am really lost with this story.

What happened to: "The deal is done!! After twenty years I've finally gotten the car!"?
And: "So the buyer I had for the 72 flaked out on me and I don't have room for two projects at once."
So, you were selling a car that you didn't even have in your hands?
Derek Cobb wrote:
I had the cash in hand and for weeks I just couldn't get the owners to commit to simply show up and let me take the cars..

Sorry, did I skip a page?

I was left confused too. This went from past tense (done deal with 72 pre-sold) to present with no explanation.

Did it go from being a great story in patience to a classic tale of cart before the horse?

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: What to offer for a all original 61 bug Reply with quote

Think the moral of the story is to bring a flatbed and stack of cash with you when negotiating.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: What to offer for a all original 61 bug Reply with quote

Ahh yeah, how were you selling a car that wasn't yours?
Confused Confused Confused Rolling Eyes
Derek Cobb
Annoying

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: What to offer for a all original 61 bug Reply with quote

Hands were shaken, agreements were made but I didn't come with a tow truck. I was coming the next day with the cash and a tow truck, but they couldn't come the next day, then it took weeks to successfully contact them again and they were very agreeable, but couldn't find the time, then weeks of calls again. I finally stopped calling. Three months later, one of the brothers called and apologized for being hard to get ahold of, but still couldn't find a specific time to take the cash and unlock the garage again.
Concerning the later model car, I had no real interest in it, but I had a friend who was very interested. I was just moving it along so the brothers didn't have to deal with it.
When I posted "the deal is done" I was returning the very next day. Then the sellers simply couldn't find the time to come and take my money.
Once again this deal left me discouraged and pissed off, but I've been frustrated by this car for almost twenty years.
I grew up in a place where a handshake has real value. I truly expected to haul those cars home. Things here are different. I'm still getting used to the art of the deal in New England.
Derek Cobb
Annoying

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: What to offer for a all original 61 bug Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
Think the moral of the story is to bring a flatbed and stack of cash with you when negotiating.

That is actually the main take-away from this cautionary tale.
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: What to offer for a all original 61 bug Reply with quote

I know how you feel Derek, same thing happened to me with a bus.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: What to offer for a all original 61 bug Reply with quote

Derek Cobb wrote:
Progress! I talked to the old mans son, and they have had to put him in a home. Alzheimers. They are currently in the process of clearing out the home and they talked to me seriously about selling both cars.

I fell bad for the old man and the sons but this is the way of life.

Nice find in the car. Undoubtedly, there are some parts laying around in that garage. Have a peek.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)

Last edited by heimlich on Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: What to offer for a all original 61 bug Reply with quote

Derek Cobb wrote:
Hands were shaken, agreements were made but I didn't come with a tow truck. I was coming the next day with the cash and a tow truck, but they couldn't come the next day, then it took weeks to successfully contact them again and they were very agreeable, but couldn't find the time, then weeks of calls again. I finally stopped calling. Three months later, one of the brothers called and apologized for being hard to get ahold of, but still couldn't find a specific time to take the cash and unlock the garage again.
Concerning the later model car, I had no real interest in it, but I had a friend who was very interested. I was just moving it along so the brothers didn't have to deal with it.
When I posted "the deal is done" I was returning the very next day. Then the sellers simply couldn't find the time to come and take my money.
Once again this deal left me discouraged and pissed off, but I've been frustrated by this car for almost twenty years.
I grew up in a place where a handshake has real value. I truly expected to haul those cars home. Things here are different. I'm still getting used to the art of the deal in New England.

Crazy how you gotta beg people to give them money Sad
Derek Cobb
Annoying

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: What to offer for a all original 61 bug Reply with quote

I'm going back for another try! This time I'll go with a pocketful of cash and the tow company on speed-dial. Wish me luck!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: