Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Modifying a 180mm flywheel to use a 200mm clutch
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gimmesomeshelter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:06 pm    Post subject: Modifying a 180mm flywheel to use a 200mm clutch Reply with quote

My machinist tells me that a should run something a bit more robust than a stock 180mm pressure plate. I've looked at the Kennedy pressure plates, but I have to admit that I like the feel of a diaphragm PP. I've read that it's possible to modify a 180mm pressure plate to run a 200mm clutch. Has anyone done this? Who did the work? How much did it cost?

Cheers,

Paul

Richard Feynman
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:01 am    Post subject: Re: Modifying a 180mm flywheel to use a 200mm clutch Reply with quote

Use this for preA & A 180
http://www.autohausaz.com/search/product.aspx?sid=...re%20Plate
gimmesomeshelter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Modifying a 180mm flywheel to use a 200mm clutch Reply with quote

Yes, that's what I was planning on installing.

I also have a NOS german PP, but it only has six springs.

Cheers,

Paul

Richard Feynman
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:54 am    Post subject: Re: Modifying a 180mm flywheel to use a 200mm clutch Reply with quote

gimmesomeshelter wrote:
I have to admit that I like the feel of a diaphragm PP.

Cheers,

Paul
Why did you say this? Confused
gimmesomeshelter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:03 am    Post subject: Re: Modifying a 180mm flywheel to use a 200mm clutch Reply with quote

Over the years I've used diaphragm style PP's, lever style PP's, and even a stage 1 PP from Kennedy. I found the stock diaphragm PP to be responsive and easy on the foot. The lever style was usable, but I found the diaphragm style to be much more comfortable. The Kennedy was much stiffer than stock, but not intolerable. The biggest problem with the Kennedy is that it greatly accelerated the failure of my pedal assembly (the bushings wore out).

Cheers,

Paul

Richard Feynman
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:14 am    Post subject: Re: Modifying a 180mm flywheel to use a 200mm clutch Reply with quote

I completely agree, but then why did you say THIS?
gimmesomeshelter wrote:
I also have a NOS german PP, but it only has six springs.

Cheers,

Paul

RichardinNZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Modifying a 180mm flywheel to use a 200mm clutch Reply with quote

Is the Sachs PP on your link different to the usual Sachs PP?

I managed to kill my new Sachs PP by adjusting the pedal to the factory spec; apparently the diaphragm type needs less movement than the finger type. The longer arm on later transmissions apparently sorted this (although at this moment after a long day at work I can't figure out the logic of this but sure it made sense at the time). I still have a short arm so am currently adjusting my pedal to the point at which things just work.
Thanks
My Car https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=1750253
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mr.Ragtop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Modifying a 180mm flywheel to use a 200mm clutch Reply with quote

AA makes a 36hp flywheel that is 200mm and 12v.

https://aapistons.com/products/porsche-912-356-lightweight-flywheel-200mm-12v
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Modifying a 180mm flywheel to use a 200mm clutch Reply with quote

Wow .. for the price, that looks mighty sweet. Anyone here using it?
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JeeWee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Modifying a 180mm flywheel to use a 200mm clutch Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I am using this 180mm PP clutch on my car, it is a 6volt 36hp based engine with okrasa setup, 58hp on the dyno. no problem!

it is the 9 spring heavy duty version, standard is 6.

This was a recommended upgrade back in the days when you have increased your engine output... it is featured in the 'jetzt mache ich ihn schneller' book, and most likely in other old manuals.
Totally vintage speed approved!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gimmesomeshelter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Modifying a 180mm flywheel to use a 200mm clutch Reply with quote

I got tired of looking for a 9 spring 180mm pressure plate so I just ordered a Kennedy PP from John at AirCooled.net (http://vwparts.aircooled.net/180mm-Kennedy-Engineering-Racing-Clutch-Kit-p/kep180.htm)

I also just ordered an extra long clutch arm. Wink

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Cheers,

Paul

Richard Feynman
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: