Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

If you had a blank canvas on which to build a camper...
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pjstock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:37 pm    Post subject: If you had a blank canvas on which to build a camper... Reply with quote

I am going to drop this here, because there are so many more followers of the Vanagon section but it's kind of vehicle independent....

if, rather than buying a Vanagon (or similar) with a factory installed say late late 80s/early 90s Westfalia camper set up, you had a blank canvas today, into which you could build a custom camper interior, would you?
if so why?
and, in broad strokes, how?
what equipment could you start with today, that was not even possible back in 1990?

Peter
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: if you had a blank canvas on which to build a camper....... Reply with quote

I've put a lot of thought into this. I would keep the interior exactly the same as the Westy version. The overall layout is awesome. Later in life I'll buy a bigger van that has a shower/toilet and maybe live the full van life.

So my answer is I would buy/replicate the stock westy setup. Solar panel on roof, batteries, and a awesome fridge. Oh and a high top instead of a pop top.
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: if you had a blank canvas on which to build a camper....... Reply with quote

Propex HS2211
1.8T
Peloquin TBD (2WD)
ARB Fridge
Steel bumpers with swing-aways
RMW Ladder
Jack Bombay pop-top struts
3 window tent
LED: Headlights, interior & exterior lights
Dual Aux Battery system with Blue Sea ACR and flexible solar panel(s)
Roof bars with Thule box, racks, etc
Kill switch and GPS tracking device
Tinted windows
A/C
Awning: Fiamma or Shady Boy
100% PowerFlex poly bushings
Hula Girl on the dash (for good luck) Wink
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: if you had a blank canvas on which to build a camper....... Reply with quote

Key features (in addition to the base Westy camper)

- high-top: 24/7 standing room is unbeatable
- real fridge/freezer (where ice and ice-cream can be kept)
- furnace
- solar/batteries for extended living off-the-grid
- hot water heater
- two sliders
- possibly 4wd
- possibly an in-door shower and crapper

This will most likely be built in a 144 wb high-roof Sprinter.

Design inspiration:
- Vanagon Westy camper
- Tonke: http://www.tonke.eu/en/collection/demountable-campers/tonke-fieldsleeper/
- Sportsmobile: https://sportsmobile.com/flow-chart-ordering/

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: if you had a blank canvas on which to build a camper....... Reply with quote

Good question, and one I've been giving a lot of thought to.

I'd love to see the Getaway Van/Coastal High-top top in person because I really like the lines and I love this paint/color combination, although I'd stick with Bronze Beige Metallic/Black/White instead of red. Anybody around Denver have one of these?

(https://shufti.blog/?s=simon)

Or Bundeswehr green...God I love this van:

Weekender/Carat setup inside with one jump seat, side table, and keep the full-size bed.

100 watt solar with an ARB-type electric fridge.

ARB Awning.

Propex heater.

So basically I want my 2wd van but Syncro and a high-top with a few add-ons.

Gotta walk before I can run, though. My Syncro is a freaking project and a half so far, but I'm making progress on getting it to where it can be a clean slate for a camper conversion.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pjstock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: if you had a blank canvas on which to build a camper....... Reply with quote

Yes, I am a little (errh, a LOT) daunted by the "projectness" of a blank canvas DIY build.
My partner would say (with good reason I must admit) that I don't have a perfect record of project completion, at least not in a timely fashion.

Last edited by pjstock on Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: if you had a blank canvas on which to build a camper....... Reply with quote

The Westy interior has been constantly refined since it's inception in the mid-50's. I've had several campers over the years which in my youthful wisdom were modified to suit my tastes at the time. I've found that after using these Buses since the late 80's, Westfalia got it right.

I'm currently building a camper to suit my needs. There will be some upgrades in terms of heat, power, and some modern conveniences, but it will look and function as Westfalia/VW intended.
Colorado Springs
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: if you had a blank canvas on which to build a camper....... Reply with quote

pjstock wrote:
Yes, I am a little (errh, a LOT) daunted by the "projectness" of a blank canvas DIY build.
My partner would say (with good reason I must admit) that I don't have a perfect record of project completion, at least not in a timely fashion.

It took me 10 years to get my 2wd right. I'm hoping I can shave a bit of time off of that number for the Syncro. Very Happy

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Honuak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: if you had a blank canvas on which to build a camper....... Reply with quote

My two cents...
The westy layout is great. I think it would be cool to have the kitchen unit fairly easily removable though. We usually use the full kitchen in summer months only. If I had my rebuild to do again I would have put cargo/battery stowage space between the outside frame rail and body, at least on the passenger side, its a weld-in job. There is a thread or two on it here someplace. And I would put in a floor drain for wet suit on-off, wet dogs and gear, sponge baths and what-have you.
And I'd try to go with an ESPAR type furnace diesel or gas depending on the engine. Eliminating the propane tank(s). We use the one pound spin on propane bottles now. The added space/lost weight of the big propane tank is nice. Truckfridge is 12V DC.
And finally I have to admit it would be nice to have a subaru automatic trans mated to the subaru motor. I think subarugears can even do the full subaru AWD. It would suck to loose the G gear (4WD) but its a trade off I'd make if I had the $.

With the dash out I would try to source a 88+ heater box that has the up-graded flow to put heat in the outboard vents, and I would install vanistans vent kit with the heater box out of the dash, it would be a little easier than in situ. I would (and did) get all the parts to upgrade the airflow to the 88+ design. The whistle-stoppers on the leading edge of the front doors and the rear vented windows being the main components, this upgrade went a long way towards reducing cabin noise and improving air movement/control.
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: if you had a blank canvas on which to build a camper....... Reply with quote

pjstock wrote:
I am going to drop this here, because there are so many more followers of the Vanagon section but it's kind of vehicle independent....

if, rather than buying a Vanagon (or similar) with a factory installed say late late 80s/early 90s Westfalia camper set up, you had a blank canvas today, into which you could build a custom camper interior, would you?
if so why?
and, in broad strokes, how?
what equipment could you start with today, that was not even possible back in 1990?

I have a Weekender and I am happy with it -which is a very limited interior. If I were doing a long trip, I'd think about a cabinet with sink and flip out table for stove behind the driver. Perhaps slide out draws from under the rear bench, but that's not really a new interior but a slight modification (which is what some of the responses are).

Now, if I were buying a Sprinter, I'd want to build my own interior; being bigger it allows for "more" interior and various options (Bath, gear locker, etc). With a larger van, I would like a kitchen that can swing out, or be accessed from out side the van.
To accomplish the same with a Vanagon, I can only see giving up the swivel passenger seat - which I am not willing to do, at least at this time.

I've seen interior that are "highly engineered" and, to me, they just add complexity in trying to have it all. But to each their own.
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
raoul mitgong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: if you had a blank canvas on which to build a camper....... Reply with quote

Hightops do have advantages but I put too much stuff on my roof and I don't think kayaks on a hightop would really be doable for me.

My project Syncro 7-passenger tintop:

-Donor poptop (I got lucky, same color as the tintop)
-Passenger only Swivel (have two but prefer non-swivel for driver)
-A weekender interior (found at junkyard for $75!)
-A Sewfine upgrade (there goes that savings)
-It looks like an engine swap sooner than I was planning (oil pressure light/buzzer)
-No rear cabinets to retain the full size bed
-Gas fired Espar furnace
-About 100AH deep cycle battery for the Espar
-2" hitch for rear bike rack
-Roof rack for cargo box, extra bike racks, boats, etc.
-Extra Carat style (removable) passenger side rear facing seat (still looking)
-Anything but the square stock lights
-Maybe some permanently mounted solar

This is really all I think I want in my dream van.

(EDIT: I already have a 2wd Westy camper and a Syncro Tintop, so... perhaps this is my dream van because I don't that one of these yet. FYI, 3 vans might be too much.)
-d
91 Westy (Only the top 12 inches of this van (a burn victim))
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: if you had a blank canvas on which to build a camper....... Reply with quote

soo many different ways to go..
https://www.google.com/search?q=vanagon+interior&a...20#imgrc=_

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: if you had a blank canvas on which to build a camper....... Reply with quote

Forthwithtx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: if you had a blank canvas on which to build a camper....... Reply with quote

I always wanted to make an RV out of one of these:

'84 GL with 2001/2004 Subaru 2.5L
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: if you had a blank canvas on which to build a camper....... Reply with quote

Merian wrote:

Merian wins the Internet ....
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: