Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Large capacity Fuel tank for 1974 Thing
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bruce Marlow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:48 pm    Post subject: Large capacity Fuel tank for 1974 Thing Reply with quote

Bruce Marlow, new member from Nevada City, Calif.

My 1974 Green Thing had an engine fire 8 years ago and with the recovery, I am installing a 2110 engine and 4 wheel disk brakes. It is a slow project that is on the move again. With the bigger engine, I would like to install a larger tank. I am looking for suggestions. I did read that some years ago someone was building a 16-gallon tank. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Bruce
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Large capacity Fuel tank for 1974 Thing Reply with quote

12.5 gallon-changed the filler to under the trunk though

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ACC-C10-2510
kenj06
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Large capacity Fuel tank for 1974 Thing Reply with quote

Here are a couple topics on the 16 gallon tanks.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683633&highlight=16+gallon+gas+tank
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=100248

Good luck on the search.
Bruce Marlow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Large capacity Fuel tank for 1974 Thing Reply with quote

Wow, great fast responses. Tanks to everyone. I really appreciate the information. Seems that the 16 gall tank has its challenges. The 12.5 gal seems good less having to fill it from under the lid. The extra 2.5 gallons is helpful. Wonder if someone has built a 12.5 that fits the Thing and plugs into the standard configuration. Will keep looking. Also looking at building a custom tank with a local tank manufacture.
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Large capacity Fuel tank for 1974 Thing Reply with quote

Beware, the 16 gallon tank and the 12.5 gallon tank are one in the same. Everyone that installs the 16 gallon tank finds out you can only put 12-13 gallons in it The CIP description is just telling the truth.

If you're looking a custom tank, consider modifying the stock tank so that it won't work in a RHD car. There's a bit of volume to be gained by extending the bottom way over to the right side. Leave room for the long tie rod.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bruce Marlow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Large capacity Fuel tank for 1974 Thing Reply with quote

Again, thanks for all the great feedback. Looks like I will work on modifying the original tank. I have some good sources in our area that should be able to help me. Bruce
Shaven
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: Large capacity Fuel tank for 1974 Thing Reply with quote

Guys,
Wanting to put a larger tank in my Thing. Has anyone done any conversions lately? Any ideas? Photos of different fuel setups please?
Cheers
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: