Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1971ish Baja Bug Pre-Runner
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
chawjubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971ish Baja Bug Pre-Runner Reply with quote

Great build log. Love watching this come together.
Captain ASIC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: 1971ish Baja Bug Pre-Runner Reply with quote

holy friggin god this is an awesome build! I would love to get my hands on that front beam, shit, both beams, and the roofrack, and the cage! Feel like a trip to CO for work? haha
Bad_chopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: 1971ish Baja Bug Pre-Runner Reply with quote

been threw Yamhill several times. we used to wheel up by the flyen M 17 or 18 years ago. couldn't tell you where or how to get where we were any more lol. Been about three months you should have that thing up and daily driving by now, hows it coming?
Lughead Motorsports
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: 1971ish Baja Bug Pre-Runner Reply with quote

well its been a while and the 9-5 job has taken me away from the shop so working the kinks out and redesigning systems has been a very slow process.

first after much research it was determined that a simple relay system for my turn signal wiring turned into a huge head ache. ive now got a pile of different relays and wiring diagrams to find nothing that worked. as my 9-5 job works for a electrical contractor i asked some co workers to design me a diagram that worked, and with the old mans help i was able to make these two cubes and a flasher unit work!
design criteria for the flashers:
1) 3 wire switch, aka a 3 position dash mounted switch left center and right
2) a combined rear light from a LED trailer kit from NAPA.
3)a seperated brake and turn lights in the roof light bar.

mainly the 3 wire switch and the combined led light created all the problems. heres the finish product (and i think somewhere i still have the wireing diagram if yall wanted to see that). all said and done? i sugest using either a 5 or 7 wire switch, or seperated brake turn and running light rear lights, MUCH simplier!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

then after hours of trying to bleed the brakes out with no air in the system i swear, still no brake pedal pressure (or extreeemly squishy brakes) i called up wilwood told them what i was doing and the part numbers on my calipers (quad opposing piston calipers in the rear and dual opposing calipers up front) and they sent me a proper MC sized for my system (tandem 15/16" remote resivor part number 260-14242-BK) and i had to figure out a way to mount it in the stock location to utilize the stock pedals. as im sure some of you have looked into its not that easy to do. well the picutres discribe to process...

as you can see i machined a block of aluminum as an adaptor plate and a adjustment for the mis match in length of rod. from there i mated the block to the new master and started removing material so it would fit into the bulkhead of the frame.

so at this point i had a working brake and electrical system and it is now time to head to the Baja 250 race and put all my work to the test on its maiden voyage!

and well it got there in a snow storm through southern oregon, and once it got there now that i could drive it with a little more confidance i found that my engine had little to no power! only when it was warmed up to hot, and at full rev when i could see a tiny bit of power. so i break out the timing light and tools to find that im getting a very inconsistant spark. clyinders 1 and 3 had basically no spark even though when i pull the plug wire i can get it to arc from wire to plug so why isnt it firing??? this was very frustrating and confusing. in the end what solved it was a different style plug. a buddy had a resisted spark plug from a quad with the same thread. plugged that guy in there and cylinder #1 started to fire about half the time! boom huge improvement. also in my research ive found the 009 distributor has some design issues with the pertronix and inconsistant spark (occationally, there is a ton of stories saying the 009 and pertronix works fine, so this is special to me) and some inherent design issues with the single webber carb and scavaging fuel at idle.

so i called CB Performance ordered a new set of Dual webber carbs, the magnaspark distrubutor conversion, a new electronic fuel pump, and a set of resisted spark plugs. when i got the parts i replaced the plugs and bam fires right up, new timing adjustment and im off to testing the car. being i did all this in mexico i kept all the other parts for modifications when i get back home to hopefully breathe a little more power out of the engine.

1969 Street bug --- For Sale... maybe
1968 Baja"The Orange Bug" ---Sold
1970 Baja "The Black Bug" ----Sold
1971 Baja "The Pre Runner" ---In Progress
1974 Race Car --- Collecting parts and funds
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: 1971ish Baja Bug Pre-Runner Reply with quote

THis is relay system I kludged together.... I am guessing a few have tried it but have not heard back that it does not work...So....

Version one...

Version two with emergence flasher option...

Keep in mind the relay system needs electronic flasher that will flash LEDS or you will have to put load resistor on LED lamps.

AND its designed for SINGLE FILAMENT stop/turn signal bulb or LED element, not designed for separate stop and separate turn filament bulbs or LEDS..

If your 2 relay system works I would like to see diagram of it... I am guessing they are DPDT relays where my system uses SPDT relays....

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
veeweeman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971ish Baja Bug Pre-Runner Reply with quote

Nice build! ...I know what kind of money it takes to accomplish such a feat. ...I'm almost half way through my build and $$$ a lot of money spent. ..good luck with your new shop and enjoy your new ride.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: