Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine won't start
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Peters Van
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine won't start Reply with quote

before adjusting the carby make sure your valves are adjusted correctly ans also ensure that the timing is correct.

single carb adjustment method.
1. engine at operating temp then stop motor
2. turn mixture screw in until stop (gently) then back out 1.5 turns
3. start motor then idle screw until desired idle speed. till it sounds right.
4. mixture screw in till idle slows then out half a turn
5. readjust idle.

works for me every time.
Funsize
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine won't start Reply with quote

Thanks Peters Van, I'll give that a whirl when it's time to go.

I'll double check the valves, I did them before putting the engine back in, but I may as well just in case.

The latest new development (this is becoming a thing) is there appears to be fuel getting into the case itself. This is generally caused by a faulty fuel pump diaphragm, no? (I have new fuel pump on the way). I checked the pump over when I was doing everything else on the engine and it seemed fine to me. On less common occasions this could be the carby at fault too?

Either way I won't be doing much until the new pump arrives, likely next week, but I'll drop the oil today so I don't ruin the engine, and I need to do the trans oil aswell, so I'll probably give that a crack too.
Peters Van
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine won't start Reply with quote

yeah when ive seen fuel in the oil its been the fuel pump diaphragm as you described.
Funsize
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine won't start Reply with quote

So it turns out the fuel pump is fine, which is what I initially thought as I couldn't find any form of rip, tear or hole in the diaphragm, instead I'm an ass for missing a gasket, so the fuel pressure was just too high and must have been dumping it back into the case. Either way, no fuely oil now. But I still have an exorbitantly expensive fuel pump on the way, so I guess I have a spare one.

Valves were all good still, which checking was less fun with the engine actually in the car Laughing

Still flooding a bit, and the float level seems off, with the float itself in surprisingly good condition. I double checked the float needle which after testing a few different ways seemed a tiny bit sticky, cleaned it out a put everything back together. Didn't get a chance to try it as it was getting a bit late, but I'll give it a run tomorrow and see how it is.

If it's still a bit floody, any suggestions? There's only so many things it could be. It's a 32 PHN-1.
Air-Cooled Head
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine won't start Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
Air-Cooled Head wrote:
I just went thru this swapping from 009 to SVDA.
With the drive gear installed correctly, there were clearance issues with the vac can and fuel pump. Had to reposition drive gear, which threw the whole notch on the distributor thing out the window.

Hey Tom, I'm glad my distributor drive tool is still working out for you. Very Happy

OMG Bob! I never returned that to you?!? Yikes! d'oh! Sorry about that. Embarassed Unfortunately it's been lost to the ages. I'll bring you a new one to the invasion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Funsize
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine won't start Reply with quote

Pretty sure I've now solved the flooding problem. I may or may not have accidentally had the choke wound up too much when I rebuilt it as I was testing the spring and potentially forgot to set it back... Embarassed Laughing

So it seems to all be running pretty well (I did like you said for the carb adjustment Peters Van, thanks matey!) for now, but going by this thread so far, I've probably forgot or left something in the wrong spot so we'll see how she runs tomorrow! Laughing

Once again thank you everyone for your help!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: