Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

how wide will mtr. grow with 86mm crank-5.7rods compared to 1600
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Floating VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: how wide will mtr. grow with 86mm crank-5.7rods compared to 1600 Reply with quote

Another trick you can do is flycut the shite out of the cylinder heads and then dish the piston crowns to compensate for the loss of chamber volume. How much you can cut depends a lot on the type of cylinder head and piston you use, of course, but the more you can cut out, the narrower the engine will be.

On my last build, I dropped a 76mm crank in it with stock-length 137mm rods and stock A-height pistons. The pistons came with a 7cc dish cast into them from the factory, which allowed me to have 0.150" shaved out of the heads (my machinist about shit a monkey when I told him I wanted 0.150" cut out, in fact, his first reaction was to tell me it wasn't even possible). This not only got me the compression ratio I wanted, but also knocked a total of 0.30" off the engine and got me down to exactly stock width. I didn't even have to get the pushrods cut; the stock ones ended up being the perfect length.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: