Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

steering shaft support
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sublimefanx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:25 pm    Post subject: steering shaft support Reply with quote

what is the part called that goes side to side and holds the steering shaft and where can I buy one
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: steering shaft support Reply with quote

Dash Brace, and Meyers Manx sells them.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: steering shaft support Reply with quote

Besides, supporting the steering column, it ties the windshield frame, the hood, the dash and the body into a more rigid unit

If you have one of the new windshield frames you should also use the hidden hardware, it makes it even stronger

http://meyersmanx.com/buggy-parts/classic-dash-frame.html

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
manxdavid
Samba Member

Location: David Jones, Anglesey, North Wales, UK. Manxclub #678.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: steering shaft support Reply with quote

I presume you mean for a fiberglass Manx type buggy? ACME/Berrien also sell a universal kit, adjustable for width, height etc which is cheaper but quite a bit flimsier.

http://acmecarco.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=59&products_id=3378
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vamanx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: steering shaft support Reply with quote

BL3 Manx/other members, I have a Manx 2 with the dash glassed to the hood. I also have one of the Meyers Dash Braces i want to install. Problem is i can't figure out how to get the brace inside the hood/dash assembly up to its mounting point where the dash and hood meet. The hood necks inward and the brace is too large to get it past that area to the dash area. measuring from the outside of the dash/hood joint the brace looks to be the correct width. Thoughts? only way i can see how to get the brace installed is to cut the tube, install the two parts and weld/bolt together.
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: steering shaft support Reply with quote

vamanx wrote:
BL3 Manx/other members, I have a Manx 2 with the dash glassed to the hood. I also have one of the Meyers Dash Braces i want to install. Problem is i can't figure out how to get the brace inside the hood/dash assembly up to its mounting point where the dash and hood meet.

Is your metal frame one of the new ones made/sold by Meyers Manx Inc. like in the photo above or is it one of the original type with the angle iron top cross brace and two vertical rods? The original type were made to fit with an ABS plastic dash and have to be modified to fit with a glassed on dash like the Manx 2(as per Bruce's instructions para 1)

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I have never installed a frame in an original Manx 2 hood/dash unit but I have installed one of the new dash frames in a Signature Series Classic Manx hood which came with the fiberglass dash already bonded on. It was kind of a tight fit making it snake up into place. I had the hood laying upside down on a blanket covered table, and inserted one end first then "snaked" and pushed hard to get the other end in.

I know its obvious but also make sure you have it going in facing the right direction
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: steering shaft support Reply with quote

Also check with Berrien Buggys - Acme Car company.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: steering shaft support Reply with quote

On my builds,I had hood upside down on padded bench, and rebuilt the existing bracket that was home made by PO and fit poorly.... I just cut, heated bent, welded, ground fiber glass and generally did what ever necessary to get it to fit like I desired... These are kit cars and nothing "fits"....

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: steering shaft support Reply with quote

Forgot about this....before I had my welder, I had a piece of exhaust pipe bent by a muffler shop that ran across the underside of the dash and then bolted to the floor. Mocked it up with PVC and had them duplicate in metal.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: