Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

cardone rebuilt distributor autopsy
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:30 am    Post subject: cardone rebuilt distributor autopsy Reply with quote

I recently bought some core distributors to take apart and to restore the ones in rebuildable condition. In the pile was a Cardone unit. They blast the bodies with aggressive media when they "rebuild them". There were other clues that it was a Cardone rebuild as well. I've had a couple sent to me from customers who couldn't make them work correctly. In those units I found worn out points cams, oblong holes in the advance weights, severe wear on the advance weight pivot pins, wrong vacuum canisters and other surprises. Both of those were simply worn out and were shipped back to their frustrated owners.

These Cardone rebuilt distributors are sold at a lot of national FLAPS places, Rockauto and I think Bus Depot. This time, I remembered to snap some photo's of the highlights of this autopsy. Note; this unit had something sprayed on the metal parts internally. A paint of some sort that looks like rust which it's not.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is the points cam. Where the points block rides, it was just a bit worn down as illustrated by the mic. I mic'd the non worn area of the cam and then the worn spots on the cam face. There is a worn valley on all four lobes that the camera doesn't show. It wasn't new damage, the points block on this unit was clean of dirt or grit. The points block simply wore off whatever the paint/coating was revealing what it looked like when it was assembled Shocked

Here's the main shaft and advance weights and their pins. NORMALLY, there's a fiber or bakelite washer under there that the advance weights rest on. The creative assembler shoved some rotor shaft clips there instead. Two of them. As a result, the weights were too high up on their pins and were striking the bottom of the rotor shaft. I forgot to snap a picture of those marks. There were no fiber washers on the top or bottom of the distributor shaft where it meets the distributor body. They replaced them with steel spacers instead. The breaker plate was heavily worn in the pivot area. Finally, it had the wrong vacuum canister mounted on it for good measure.

The only parts that passed inspection was the main shaft. It had almost no wear. The distributor body and the shaft bushings also were good. All these other worn out parts were thrown in my steel recycle bin.

So, Cardone is 0-3 in the units I've disassembled and inspected.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: cardone rebuilt distributor autopsy Reply with quote

Bill my Cardone restore test is about 13 days in and should be back soon. I’ve got a post about it in another topic

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: cardone rebuilt distributor autopsy Reply with quote

tasb wrote:
Bill my Cardone restore test is about 13 days in and should be back soon. I’ve got a post about it in another topic

Looking forward to your findings! Laughing

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: cardone rebuilt distributor autopsy Reply with quote

I has a customer send me a Cardone distributor that he could not get to work.

I found worn parts, the incorrect vacuum canister and the drive on 180* off.

I purchased a distributor from me and it started on first twist of the key. He was able to return the the Cardone unit because he purchased it outright.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: cardone rebuilt distributor autopsy Reply with quote

Philadelphia is said to be headquarters location of Cardone (per www.cardone.com). That city is also where Ron from BD said he sourced
the "rebuilt" distributors he was selling (in discussion at http://www.itinerant-air-cooled.com/viewtopic.php?p=217489#p217489 ). At the same time
as that discussion, there was also a lengthy thread here on thesamba.com about another crappy "rebuilt" distributer from BD some fellow couldn't get
to work properly. If BD is still selling those dreadful things from Cardone, then there is no avoiding the conclusion that BD is "knowingly shipping junk"
(Ron's own description). Maybe BD should also start including "orifice salve" with said items to ease those chafing sensations.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: cardone rebuilt distributor autopsy Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:

they purchased a distributor from me and it started on first twist of the key.

This is the norm for me to. People buy those Petronix or other low price, low quality Chinese distributors or a Cardone rebuild from a local flaps. They can't get them to work well at all. They install a restored Bosch unit from me and they can't believe the difference and how well their VW now runs.

Bosch and VW knew what they were doing. Wink

esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: cardone rebuilt distributor autopsy Reply with quote

kreemoweet wrote:
Philadelphia is said to be headquarters location of Cardone (per www.cardone.com). That city is also where Ron from BD said he sourced
the "rebuilt" distributors he was selling (in discussion at http://www.itinerant-air-cooled.com/viewtopic.php?p=217489#p217489 ). At the same time
as that discussion, there was also a lengthy thread here on thesamba.com about another crappy "rebuilt" distributer from BD some fellow couldn't get
to work properly. If BD is still selling those dreadful things from Cardone, then there is no avoiding the conclusion that BD is "knowingly shipping junk"
(Ron's own description). Maybe BD should also start including "orifice salve" with said items to ease those chafing sensations.

I will confirm that cardone HQ is here in Philly, and they do a lot or their reman work here or within a 60 mile radius.. as it is so close the stuff is available everywhere here. In my lifetime of fixing cars and trucks of various flavors, I have yet to find a cardone "remanufactured" parts that was not junk. At best, I would get a year out of starters (maybe with luck). At worst, items that didn't work right out of the box. Across the board, every item failed, no matter what it was. Scariest was a brake master cylinder that was missing pieces..
Needless to say I haven't bought something with their name on it for 8-9 years now.
SD
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: cardone rebuilt distributor autopsy Reply with quote

Here's one i saw on ebay.

It's a 009. $10223 and it's yours, they state the "list price" is $221.76

I love the blob of wheel bearing grease and no felt "pill".

Round o-ring and the wire retainer not fully on.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: cardone rebuilt distributor autopsy Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Here's one i saw on ebay.

It's a 009. $10223 and it's yours, they state the "list price" is $221.76

I love the blob of wheel bearing grease and no felt "pill".

Round o-ring and the wire retainer not fully on.

Holy CRAP!

That is terrible lol. I thought my rebuilds were amateurish. They look like gold compared to that. They may not pass the the test of the guys that REALLY rebuild these, but they are way better than that, and they work well.
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: cardone rebuilt distributor autopsy Reply with quote

The spring on the bottom is even partially off. Wow.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
LucKaS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: cardone rebuilt distributor autopsy Reply with quote

Why does the condenser have and extra blade connector? Shouldn’t that be a green wire?
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: cardone rebuilt distributor autopsy Reply with quote

Using no name condensor you'd need to fab your own wire with two female spade connections, no biggie just looks weird
tasb

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: cardone rebuilt distributor autopsy Reply with quote

LucKaS wrote:
Why does the condenser have and extra blade connector? Shouldn’t that be a green wire?

And for those who are interested in correctness; prior to 1962 the distributor lead wire was yellow not green. Anything but black which is common on aftermarket condensers as it can too easily be confused with the ignition switch coil wire

wheel607
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: cardone rebuilt distributor autopsy Reply with quote

For those of you that care......When I order any parts from any company, I always ask if they use Cardone parts. I have had a 100% failure rate on anything Cardone. I have asked for Ate brake calipers which Cardone pictures and they sent cheap Chinese knockoffs. I have talked with Cardone and the vendors......all of this has been time wasted. Buy from them if you want, they're cheap, but junk.
tasb

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: cardone rebuilt distributor autopsy Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Using no name condensor you'd need to fab your own wire with two female spade connections, no biggie just looks weird

Bosch Germany made that condenser design too, it is simply put, not the correct part number for an "009" and par for the course for Cardone.

hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: cardone rebuilt distributor autopsy Reply with quote

tasb wrote:
And for those who are interested in correctness; prior to 1962 the distributor lead wire was yellow not green.

the wire from the condenser to the coil?
tasb

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: cardone rebuilt distributor autopsy Reply with quote

yes, as were the condensers.

hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: cardone rebuilt distributor autopsy Reply with quote

hazetguy wrote:
tasb wrote:
And for those who are interested in correctness; prior to 1962 the distributor lead wire was yellow not green.

the wire from the condenser to the coil?

tasb wrote:
yes,

uh, gonna have to disagree on that. i've never seen a yellow wire from the dist to the coil on any original car, nor have i seen a yellow wire denoted for that on any VW wiring diagram. yellow wire might not even be (DIN?) spec for that particular circuit.
tasb

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: cardone rebuilt distributor autopsy Reply with quote

I haven't run across too many Jon, but I have a few examples.

Original early coil to condenser leads are extremely rare probably only eclipsed by tires with original German air in them. The wire is only a few inches long and is arguably, probably tampered with more than any other on a VW, Over the years I've come across eight or ten late 1950's distributors that still had a yellow wire attached.

The clincher for me is the two ZV/PAU 4 R 1 that had yellow wire leads attached. These are the first big cap cast iron 40 hp distributors 1959-1960. They both had two metal sleeves attached to the lead wire one on each side of the cast iron body to keep the wire from being pulled out (pushed in) too far so that the rotor or points cam rubs on the wire. Again, these were yellow wire leads.

Don't know what to say about the wire diagrams although, I'd noted the green leads going pretty far back. The earliest diagrams are not in color. I don't take the diagrams as Bible.

Last edited by tasb on Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
tasb

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: cardone rebuilt distributor autopsy Reply with quote

Perhaps I should adjust my statement to read from "should" to "can have yellow wire leads". As far as the DIN circuit spec goes; not sure if the through bolt qualifies as a separator for a circuit, but without a doubt original condensers did have yellow insulted leads clear back into the early 1950's, and as late as the big cap 40 hp distributors.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: