Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

WTH? What is this valve?
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
falconwagon62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:01 pm    Post subject: WTH? What is this valve? Reply with quote

Prior owner took all the wiring apart...trying to put together again....what is this valve? 1970 EFI AUTOMATIC type 3 Wagon. Hoping the EFI works and it runs....Thanks....JW

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: WTH? What is this valve? Reply with quote

That is an electric Auxiliary Air Regulator (AAR). It functions to increase cold idle speed and to enrichen the mixture a little.
You should connect a red wire that comes out from the same sheath as the oil pressure sender wire.
One hose goes to a nipple under the plenum (IAD), and the other goes to the air cleaner.

Last edited by KTPhil on Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Donnie strickland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: WTH? What is this valve? Reply with quote

That's your auxiliary air regulator (AAR), which brings extra air to the intake at cold start and warmup. It is electrically heated, and should have a red wire coming off of it, which should be plugged into the harness. It has two hoses, one to the air cleaner and one to the intake. Here's mine:

Last edited by Donnie strickland on Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Donnie strickland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: WTH? What is this valve? Reply with quote

Man, all those loose wires...

But don't despair, we can help you put it right. Take it one step at a time and ask lots of questions. And post pics!
falconwagon62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: WTH? What is this valve? Reply with quote

Loose wires....loose nut behind the wheel....lol thanks for the info...i want to keep my FI, but I read everywhere, they were a pain in 1970, imagine 2017 not much better.....

Donnie strickland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: WTH? What is this valve? Reply with quote

falconwagon62 wrote:
I want to keep my FI, but I read everywhere, they were a pain in 1970, imagine 2017 not much better...

Don't believe everything you read Smile

I don't know what it is about previous owners and wiring...anyway, here's the page of wiring diagrams:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiringt3.php

Keep all your questions in one thread so it's easier to keep up with things.

You'll need to find out if you have all your FI parts. But before you do that, you'll have to fix all the other wiring. You can have the diagram printed out on 11X17 paper and laminated so you can take it out to the car with you.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:21 pm    Post subject: Re: WTH? What is this valve? Reply with quote

Its a pain....to those who would rather use carbs. It got its reputation back in the day....by mechanics that were still toasting their bread in the morning in a skillet 'cause they couldn't figure out that 'lectric box thing with slots.

Bear in mind it only has 23 wires and five sensors. Its not complex....but it is a little complicated sometimes.

Modern injection if far more complicated. Just take it slow...and understand that unlike American cars of the era....there is not a single, extraneous or unnecessary wire or hose that you can run without. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
blues90
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: WTH? What is this valve? Reply with quote

Looks like the PO was in the process of perhaps a paint job . I don't see any reason to rip out all the dash wiring let along open up the harness covers.

AS others have said you need to get the dash wiring in order first because a good part of the fuel injection control is in the dash .
nogoodwithusernames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: WTH? What is this valve? Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
Its a pain....to those who would rather use carbs. It got its reputation back in the day....by mechanics that were still toasting their bread in the morning in a skillet 'cause they couldn't figure out that 'lectric box thing with slots.

Bear in mind it only has 23 wires and five sensors. Its not complex....but it is a little complicated sometimes.

Modern injection if far more complicated. Just take it slow...and understand that unlike American cars of the era....there is not a single, extraneous or unnecessary wire or hose that you can run without. Ray

Hey I still use a pan to toast bread! Whatcha tryin to say Ray?

I love the stock D-Jet FI in my 914 (same as the type 3 D-Jet) when all is well it runs like a dream but it can be frustrating when issues do come up since there are so many vacuum lines and little things to check.

-Derek
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: WTH? What is this valve? Reply with quote

nogoodwithusernames wrote:
raygreenwood wrote:

Hey I still use a pan to toast bread! Whatcha tryin to say Ray?

I love the stock D-Jet FI in my 914 (same as the type 3 D-Jet) when all is well it runs like a dream but it can be frustrating when issues do come up since there are so many vacuum lines and little things to check.

Actually....I toast bread in the pan too....but it's because ai am stylish and trendy.....and Iike fire.....not because I do not understand how to use the new fangled electric toaster..... Laughing
Ray
falconwagon62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: WTH? What is this valve? Reply with quote

Good news....it runs and moves....BUT...still have work to do...seems fuel pump is not kicking on....but we are getting there....
Donnie strickland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: WTH? What is this valve? Reply with quote

Do you have the fuel pump relay wired up under the dash?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: