Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anyone see anything obvious? Exhaust leak
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DSVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:08 pm    Post subject: Anyone see anything obvious? Exhaust leak Reply with quote

Hi,
The heat in my 1969 Ghia works great. It really blasts out of all of the ductwork.
My problem is fumes in the cabin area.
I replaced the rear deck-lid seal, the seal around the engine to body and the cardboard tubes are new. All of the heater boxes and the plastic heater tube underneath are rock solid.

Can anyone see by the attached photos why fumes would be leaking into the cabin only when the heat is used?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

CiderGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone see anything obvious? Exhaust leak Reply with quote

You're missing the charcoal canister.
DSVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone see anything obvious? Exhaust leak Reply with quote

OK.
Is that the reason why there may be fumes in the cabin?
I am not even sure what that would hook up to. I will have to look into that.
Thanks.
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone see anything obvious? Exhaust leak Reply with quote

The Heat Exchangers may be burnt through or the tubes to the body might be leaking. Are you sure it's coming out of the heater vents. Lots of things to check.
DSVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone see anything obvious? Exhaust leak Reply with quote

The Heat exchangers are rock solid and the tubes to the body are good. Only fumes in the cabin when the heat is turned on.
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone see anything obvious? Exhaust leak Reply with quote

Could be a leak in the heater boxes.
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone see anything obvious? Exhaust leak Reply with quote

If you have a lot of fumes in the engine compartment, an exhaust leak, or oil leaking on the exhaust components, the fan could suck them in and blow them across the heater box internal fins (where they pick up heat) and into the cabin.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone see anything obvious? Exhaust leak Reply with quote

Wasn't the charcoal canisters for fuel evap? Nothing to do with heating the interior. If the smell is coming in while say idling at a stoplight...its normal. The fan is sucking up exhaust fumes from the exhaust pipe and blowing in. If its all the time...ignore me. Crying or Very sad
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
DSVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone see anything obvious? Exhaust leak Reply with quote

Yes, I get fumes only when heat is on.
If the fan only takes air in through the vents in the deck-lid as well as whatever air is circulating around the engine compartment, could I be sucking air in from under the car? I don not have any oil leaks in the engine compartment but I do have a small oil leak under the car. I will have to research sealing up my engine compartment better. I am probably missing something that I don't know about.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone see anything obvious? Exhaust leak Reply with quote

Quote:
If the fan only takes air in through the vents in the deck-lid as well as whatever air is circulating around the engine compartment, could I be sucking air in from under the car

At idle, sitting still, yes. If you get the smell while in motion...continue looking for issue. An oil leak at valve cover will leak down into the heat exchanger.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
DSVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone see anything obvious? Exhaust leak Reply with quote

Thank you. Valve cover gasket. I will check that out.
bhartwell59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone see anything obvious? Exhaust leak Reply with quote

as everyone has said but i'd be looking at your muffler/heat exchanger connection.

had the same problem last winter until i plugged up some rotted holes in the exchanger by the muffler
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
swavananda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone see anything obvious? Exhaust leak Reply with quote

Often with a decent exhaust leak, there is popping when decelerating in gear. any chance you been experiencing that ?

Can you hone in on the smell difference between oil and exhaust ? Oil baking on the heat exchangers smells a lot like a freshly paved road.
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone see anything obvious? Exhaust leak Reply with quote

Are you sure it's actually exhaust fumes?

Even on a tight car the heat has a bit of a smell, it's more of a hot metal smell rather than an exhaust fume smell.

If you've ever had oil leaks from the valve cover gaskets and the oil has made its way into the heat exhangers, you will get stinky burnt oil smell from the heat.

The air for the heater comes from the engine cooling fan via the vents in the decklid. If the car is sitting stopped, especially with a tailwind, it can pick up some exhaust that gets blown forward by the wind. This should go away when on the move however.
DSVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone see anything obvious? Exhaust leak Reply with quote

Thank you, all.
The muffler/heat exchanger connection had a big gap where the clamp had come undone and separated. I tightened everything up. I haven't taken it for a test ride yet but I am pretty sure that was the issue since everything else is rock solid with no rust through underneath.
brent bousman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone see anything obvious? Exhaust leak Reply with quote

Next time you have the motor out replace that rear seal on the firewall as the fan is sucking air from under the car through that gap.

Also - reroute the gas line properly through the shroud with the grommet and metal line as you will eventually rub through that gas line and possibly cause a fire.
DSVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone see anything obvious? Exhaust leak Reply with quote

Ok.
I fixed the gap from the exhaust to the heater box. The clamp had come loose. Everything else is rock solid with no rust. I also put in new valve cover gaskets with last oil change.

I think the only thing left that it could be is what Brent Bousman noticed with the rear seal on the firewall. I need to look into how to replace that. Must the engine be out of the car to replace it?

It is definitely an exhaust leak smell and not a burning oil smell. I drove it for 2 1/2 hours last night in 20 degree temperatures.....
DSVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone see anything obvious? Exhaust leak Reply with quote

.....and I see that the tin that goes to the firewall is loose.

The gasket is ok, old but not brittle or broken.

I can not see how that piece of tin is to be secured to the firewall or tightened unless the gasket just goes over the tin and holds it in place? There are two screws holding the tin in on each end but the top of the tin is not secured and there is a large gap.
70 140
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone see anything obvious? Exhaust leak Reply with quote

Since it hasn't been mentioned yet, you're missing the seals on the breast plate that go around the fresh air hoses to the heater boxes. There should also be one on the warm air intake hose but it's a different size if I recall.

https://www.cip1.ca/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC%2D113%2D119%2D585%2DB2
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone see anything obvious? Exhaust leak Reply with quote

With the motor cold, have someone start the car, while you hold both hands around the manifold per heat tube to exhaust pipe connection and feel for leaks as those gaskets tend to burn out if not tight. Careful it will get hot fast. The firewall tin should have two tabs that fit over the motor back there, one on each side near the top. Fit them over and tighten the screws at each end to keep it in place.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: