Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dipstick pathway on 50° AHU w/AC+PS
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
joelsolomonson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:09 pm    Post subject: Dipstick pathway on 50° AHU w/AC+PS Reply with quote

Hey All,
I'm in the process of bolting all the accessories onto the block on my AHU conversion. I'm doing AC and power steering so the stock 82 diesel filler and dipstick wont work. I bought some bits from brickwerks and got the 83 style filler but it appears it too will hit the v-belt pulley on the AC compressor. So I think I will just block off the filler hole on the pan and fill via the valve cover (not ideal, I know). I want to check the oil level from the center of the block and I don't want to have to open the lid every time I check so I'm trying to determine how to snake a tube around/through the accessories to the license plate door. I've seen it mentioned that folks have done it with brake line and guitar stings but I'm not sure where exactly I'm trying to terminate. When I open the license plate door, what am I going to be looking at? I'm using '82 bars if that helps.
Thanks?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jeffrey Lee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Dipstick pathway on 50° AHU w/AC+PS Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here’s a top view of a 1983 Diesel Vanagon with a 1.9L replacement engine but in nearly stock configuration. You can see the dipstick tube terminating just to the left of the alternator. Just aft of the orange end fitting (cropped in this photo) is the finger loop or handle used to withdraw the dipstick.

When viewed through the license plate door, it is located rather high and to the left side. CORRECTION: the dipstick handle is located high and almost dead-center when viewed through the license-plate opening.

For various reasons, it’s a much superior setup to the 1982 diesel dipstick design.

Last edited by Jeffrey Lee on Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:06 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joelsolomonson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Dipstick pathway on 50° AHU w/AC+PS Reply with quote

Thanks for that image. I’ve looked at various top down views like that and thought if I go tight to the top side of the alternator I’d be in good shape. Has anybody ever snaked a line between the alternator and AC to try to get it a little more centered in the door opening or is it not worth it to reinvent the wheel? Or, maybe too much risk of belt interference. Thanks again for the input.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ibuprofen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Dipstick pathway on 50° AHU w/AC+PS Reply with quote

joelsolomonson, I too am working on an AHU build but I don't have plans to install AC as the PO ripped most of that system out. My current oil filler is a straight pipe and I'm without power steering because of it. If you don't end up using the filler you have and it fits with the power steering there hit me up and I may take it off of your hands.

Looking forward to seeing your build!
Jeffrey Lee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Dipstick pathway on 50° AHU w/AC+PS Reply with quote

Found these photos showing the same/similar engine from the rear, in which the dipstick termination can be seen, and which should give you some idea where such a design would be located within the license-plate opening.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Dipstick pathway on 50° AHU w/AC+PS Reply with quote

ALH install here on a 50 degree mount.

I cut and modified the OE metal Oil Fill Tube from a 1.9 WBXer engine. I bolted it to the end of my fabricated stainless steel oil pan. The new modification/design of the Oil Fill Tube and Cap are roughly in the same location inside the license plate hole.

I also modified the Oil Fill Tube Cap to accept the top end of the yellow plastic ALH Dip Stick Tube (JB Weld). Then, I cut down the length of the ALH dip stick. I dumped in 4.5 quarts of oil. Then, I marked on the dip stick where the level of the oil was and then dumped in one more quart. I then marked that level.

I've been driving it for the last 80k miles with no problem.

In the link below, scroll down to Post #551 to view my Oil Dip Stick setup (the aluminum oil pan has been replaced with a stainless steel)

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=276798&page=37
joelsolomonson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Dipstick pathway on 50° AHU w/AC+PS Reply with quote

Thanks for the additional views. The image of the dipstick location in the license plate door is really helpful.
Andy, are you satisfied with measuring the oil from the filler tube? Do you get any dramatic differences if parked on not-so-level ground? I do like the filler and tube in one spot for simplicity but have heard complaints of it being too inaccurate.
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Dipstick pathway on 50° AHU w/AC+PS Reply with quote

joelsolomonson wrote:
Thanks for the additional views. The image of the dipstick location in the license plate door is really helpful.
Andy, are you satisfied with measuring the oil from the filler tube? Do you get any dramatic differences if parked on not-so-level ground? I do like the filler and tube in one spot for simplicity but have heard complaints of it being too inaccurate.

I've been driving the Van with the ALH and the dip stick set-up since August of 2012............. over 80k miles with no issues.

Yes, if the vehicle is not level (front to back, visa versa) the measurement will not be correct. Considering I'm running 5.5 quarts, I never worry if I get a reading between the hash marks. Two trips to Alaska (14 & 16) about 12k miles each, I kept it topped off with oil (seems it took a half quart each trip)
OddN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: Dipstick pathway on 50° AHU w/AC+PS Reply with quote

120A generator with corresponding TDI belt set up on my AAZ. Had to grind off a little on both the bracket and the generator ear to get the dip stick tube in the right place.

joelsolomonson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Dipstick pathway on 50° AHU w/AC+PS Reply with quote

Thanks, Andy. I figured that would be the case. Any of us willing to do a swap ourselves probably won’t top it off the first time and drive it like a rented Nissan Sentra for 100k miles. :lol
OddN, thanks for that it mage. It’s really helpful to see various configurations through the little trap door.
Good stuff!
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Dipstick pathway on 50° AHU w/AC+PS Reply with quote

Dipstick tube marked with arrows:

Notice that is goes through the toothed belt and bolts onto the bottom of the alternator or power steering pump mount. You can use the JX dipstick tube, but you have to braze on an adapter to fit into the larger dipstick hole of the TDi.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: