Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

True mileage unknown
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JonCrop101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:10 pm    Post subject: True mileage unknown Reply with quote

Assume u found an ideal westy, agreed on a price but then found the odo was true miles unknown. What does that do to the value? I'm looking at a $24,000 van
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: True mileage unknown Reply with quote

Price is only relative to condition. Is it virtually new?

I wouldn't make a deal without some idea on miles beforehand. Is the owner keeping records from you? I have receipts from the 70s that say when a speedometer was switched out.

By 'van' do you mean Vanagon? True mileage is easier to find on 17 digit vins than on the old buses (obviously).

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:59 pm    Post subject: Re: True mileage unknown Reply with quote

Agree with the above.

If it's a 70s or older Bus, it won't matter much, if at all.

Vanagon/Eurovan. Maybe.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: True mileage unknown Reply with quote

In old vehicles condition matters more than real mileage unless the seller is claiming a low mileage bus, other than that these puppies have rolled over at least once, I had one that had rolled over three times, you could not tell by looking at it or mechanical condition. If they are not the original owners then all bets are off, go for quality and condition.

At twenty-four grand I would go over that body with a velvet magnet, spend lots of quality time crawling under the bus with a flashlight.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: True mileage unknown Reply with quote

For the amount of money, honestly have some VW people with knowledge look at really well. It is very easy to reset the speedometer. In Tucson you have a few qualified folks for sure. Seek them out, ask them if they could give the bus there blessing and let you know what is right and possible wrong.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
JonCrop101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: True mileage unknown Reply with quote

THANK U EVERYONE. BIG HELP!
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: True mileage unknown Reply with quote

Arizona doesn't require an odometer disclosure for vehicles older than ten years. Additionally, it's common in such occurences and in the event the mileage has exceeded the mechanical limits of the odometer to list the mileage as "true miles unknown".

Unless the vehicle is being advertised as having low miles, the presence of the "miles unknown" statement should not be a cause for concern.
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:21 pm    Post subject: Re: True mileage unknown Reply with quote

Any VW from the mid 70's until the speedometers went digital are all mileage unknown because the plastic gear breaks.
I bought my 78 and drove it for nearly a full summer before I realized the odometer was starting and stopping.
My '89 Jetta did the same thing.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: True mileage unknown Reply with quote

JonCrop101 wrote:
odo was true miles unknown. What does that do to the value?

Does not make any difference. R
Rust and damage is more to do with what conditions it was driven in VS how far. At this point most of the moving parts would have already worn out so how much mileage is on the replacements? and how well were they replaced?
Actual usage....
Check if the door hinges are worn out, check if the pedals and shift linkage and cables, wheel bearings, steering box, brakes, suspension joints and so forth, will give better indication than miles recorded.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: True mileage unknown Reply with quote

my odo died a while ago....so...i dont mind. if you want it buy it, it aint no camarow. hope that helps. pay for the item and it's condition.if it was only 1500 miles and totally rusted out and trashed would it be worth more than a nicely used 200000 mile unit with no rust? I think not. check it out thoroughly so you know a little of what your getting into.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: True mileage unknown Reply with quote

Fly out there & look at it in person. The seller might pick you up at the airport & let you stay at his place overnight while you 2 inspect & seal the deal or decide against it. Drive or ship it home if you buy it. I have done this for out of State buyers of my cars.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: