Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

ICE Breaker - converting a 1967 split to electric drive
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kevin Sharpe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:53 am    Post subject: Re: ICE Breaker - converting a 1967 split to electric drive Reply with quote

Hoehleneule wrote:
Kevin Sharpe wrote:
In the US Tesla use a proprietary charging connector.
That may explain something I've seen on a few public charging stations that the local electric utility has installed... they have two cables with two slightly different connectors on them. The connectors are clearly the same idea - two huge pins for the big juice and several little pins for data and control - but are different shapes I don't think it's so you can charge two cars at once from one charger. (There are also some Tesla-branded public chargers around, but I haven't taken a close look at their connectors.)
Here are the global charging standards that we have today (excluding Tesla US and CHAdeMO). It looks like a lot of hassle but in reality it's just like having a different fuel dispenser for petrol and diesel Smile

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Kevin Sharpe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:54 am    Post subject: Re: ICE Breaker - converting a 1967 split to electric drive Reply with quote

Hoehleneule wrote:
It occurred to me that Chapter 8 and 9 of "Tune to Win" by Carroll Smith may be of interest to you. He was writing about open-wheel race cars, so you won't care so much about the wing designs, but he has some other good information about aerodynamics in general and how to get air to flow through coolers. Unfortunately it is out of print and some used copies are priced a bit high; you might check at the library before spending money.

Amazon.co.uk lists some starting at £37. There is one that ships from the US for £17 and is listed as "text only", but I don't know what that means... normally that's applied to something like a college textbook that also comes with a CD or workbook, but I don't think this book ever came that way. I got my copy back when they were still in print and I think it was ~US$25 or so (about £19 at the moment).
Fantastic, thank you Cool
Kevin Sharpe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: ICE Breaker - converting a 1967 split to electric drive Reply with quote

I've just blagged another pile of Tesla parts Very Happy

Kevin Sharpe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: ICE Breaker - converting a 1967 split to electric drive Reply with quote

The open source controller is working with the Tesla 'small' front drive unit. At it's simplest it requires just five control and two power wires Cool

Next week we will repeat these tests with the Tesla 'small' rear drive unit before installing all three versions in vehicles.

Link
Hoehleneule
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:46 am    Post subject: Re: ICE Breaker - converting a 1967 split to electric drive Reply with quote

I finally took a look at the Bug and I guess '74 is too late for the nifty "12 V" lightning bolt sticker. You probably need to look at a late-60s Bug to see one in person.

Does a Tesla "front" or "rear" unit have to always be at that end of the car? I would think the electric motor wouldn't really care... in other words, you could stick a "front" unit in the back of a car and just tell it to turn the other way. On the other hand, maybe the gears are cut to optimize one direction of travel, or the software has a lower speed limiter in reverse, or something like that.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: ICE Breaker - converting a 1967 split to electric drive Reply with quote

Hoehleneule wrote:
I finally took a look at the Bug and I guess '74 is too late for the nifty "12 V" lightning bolt sticker. You probably need to look at a late-60s Bug to see one in person.

My nifty 12v door jamb sticker.
I really like this Tesla conversion thread. Very cool idea. Thank you for sharing your ideas.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Kevin Sharpe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: ICE Breaker - converting a 1967 split to electric drive Reply with quote

Hoehleneule wrote:
Does a Tesla "front" or "rear" unit have to always be at that end of the car? I would think the electric motor wouldn't really care... in other words, you could stick a "front" unit in the back of a car and just tell it to turn the other way. On the other hand, maybe the gears are cut to optimize one direction of travel, or the software has a lower speed limiter in reverse, or something like that.

The "front" and "rear" motors are almost identical, the only significant difference is the "front" motor has different castings which give it a more vertical stance. In reality you can choose whichever motor fits your application, "rear" works well in air-cooled VW's, and "front" in Minis and Fiat 500s.

All Tesla motors have a splash lubricated transmission and cannot be run at high speed in reverse.

Here's an image showing the two 'small' motors Cool

Last edited by Kevin Sharpe on Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:37 pm; edited 2 times in total
Kevin Sharpe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: ICE Breaker - converting a 1967 split to electric drive Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
My nifty 12v door jamb sticker.
Very cool, thanks Smile
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: ICE Breaker - converting a 1967 split to electric drive Reply with quote

Hoehleneule wrote:
I...

there would be no reason to run the motor backwards, they both run the same direction in the car?

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
Hoehleneule
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: ICE Breaker - converting a 1967 split to electric drive Reply with quote

Kevin Sharpe wrote:
The "front" and "rear" motors are almost identical, the only significant difference is the "front" motor has different castings which give it a more vertical stance. [...] All Tesla motors have a splash lubricated transmission and cannot be run at high speed in reverse.
Makes sense. I was picturing taking the "front" motor/drivetrain out of a Tesla and turning it 180 degrees in yaw to stick it in the back of a Bus, which means the electric motor would have to spin the other way.

You wouldn't *have* to turn the Tesla powertrain around, though. I guess I was thinking of a typical FWD ICE setup, and if you wanted to mount one of those transversely in the back of a Bus, it would probably help to turn it around from how it sits in an FWD car. If nothing else, the ICE would be designed to be serviced more from one side, so having that towards the back of a Bus might help.

Hoehleneule
Hoehleneule
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: ICE Breaker - converting a 1967 split to electric drive Reply with quote

mandraks wrote:
there would be no reason to run the motor backwards, they both run the same direction in the car?
See above. I was picturing turning the Tesla "front" drivetrain around to stick in the back of a Bus, but you wouldn't really have to, I guess.

Hoehleneule
Kevin Sharpe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: ICE Breaker - converting a 1967 split to electric drive Reply with quote

We've been playing with ideas for the drive shafts and here's a prototype that allows me to use 'standard' half shafts with the Tesla drive unit Cool

Kevin Sharpe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: ICE Breaker - converting a 1967 split to electric drive Reply with quote

These are the Tesla parts that we're using in the bus (excluding the drive unit and batteries) Cool

GLHTurbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: ICE Breaker - converting a 1967 split to electric drive Reply with quote

can you identify each part for us?
Kevin Sharpe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: ICE Breaker - converting a 1967 split to electric drive Reply with quote

GLHTurbo wrote:
can you identify each part for us?
Sure... does this help?

GLHTurbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: ICE Breaker - converting a 1967 split to electric drive Reply with quote

thanks!
Kevin Sharpe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:04 am    Post subject: Re: ICE Breaker - converting a 1967 split to electric drive Reply with quote

Some progress 'hacking' the Tesla Battery Management System Cool

Kevin Sharpe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: ICE Breaker - converting a 1967 split to electric drive Reply with quote

For the last few weeks the bus has been on loan to a company who are working on a bolt on IRS with integrated Tesla motor mount. The company hope to release a production prototype early next year which will be available for anyone to buy Cool

Now that their work is complete the bus will be returning to our workshop for the next stage of fabrication. We have a lot of work fitting the Red 9 front suspension, upgrading brakes, installing Tesla components, battery boxes, etc., etc. Smile
Kevin Sharpe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: ICE Breaker - converting a 1967 split to electric drive Reply with quote

On our way back to the workshop...

Kevin Sharpe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: ICE Breaker - converting a 1967 split to electric drive Reply with quote

The open source Tesla motor controller is working in a BMW 8 series conversion Cool

Link
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Page 4 of 13

Jump to: