Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What kind of Electric Fuel Pump do you use?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Johnboy333
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:27 pm    Post subject: What kind of Electric Fuel Pump do you use? Reply with quote

OK, so I am tired of replacing manual Fuel Pumps on my 70 VW Beetle, want to go to a Electric Fuel Pump, what is a good one or what does most people use, looking for one ready to use on my VW? I understand it needs to pump about 2.5 to 3.0 of pressure, is this right? Want one that is already set ready to use. Thanks in advance for your help, broke down again.javascript:emoticon('Sad')
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: What kind of Electric Fuel Pump do you use? Reply with quote

Johnboy333 wrote:
OK, so I am tired of replacing manual Fuel Pumps on my 70 VW Beetle, want to go to a Electric Fuel Pump, what is a good one or what does most people use, looking for one ready to use on my VW? I understand it needs to pump about 2.5 to 3.0 of pressure, is this right? Want one that is already set ready to use. Thanks in advance for your help, broke down again.javascript:emoticon('Sad')

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2117548

The original German Pierburg fuel pumps last for decades not a year or less like most of the cheap Chinese fuel pumps sold today. They also put out 3psi vs. the 5psi and up on the 'new' ones sold today.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: What kind of Electric Fuel Pump do you use? Reply with quote

Carter or Faucet have been VERy good in the past.
The future is always a mystery.
windfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: What kind of Electric Fuel Pump do you use? Reply with quote

I'm running a Carter, got somewhere around 20k miles on it and it's still happily humming along.
Puts out an even 3psi, no regulator required.

After bad luck with a sealed mechanical pump I picked up a Pierburg and got one of the awful rebuild kits WolfsburgWest used to sell. Worthless garbage, I was tired of dealing with mechanical pumps so I stuck in the electric and it's been trouble free.
Saw in a recent topic WolfsburgWest started making their own Pierburg kits with good results; if they'd done that a few years ago I'd be running the mechanical, but I like the electric and wont be switching back.

If you go electric there's a few different ways to wire it safely so it cuts off the pump when the engine dies.
Important in case of an accident, you don't want the electric pump continuing to pour gas onto a fire.
Easy way is to use a rabbit (iirc) fuel pump [edit: fuel pump relay], pic from the gallery -

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by windfish on Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Johnboy333
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: What kind of Electric Fuel Pump do you use? Reply with quote

I have heard Carter is good, what model did you get, and did you use a relay inline with it?
GjMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: What kind of Electric Fuel Pump do you use? Reply with quote

Have had good experience w/the Facet. Be sure to get the lower pressure model. And mount it as close to the tank as possible.

As windfish suggested, wire it so that it cuts out when the engine stops. Holley makes an oil pressure sensor for this purpose, but there are several ways you can do this.
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: What kind of Electric Fuel Pump do you use? Reply with quote

Facet cube, Made in the USA, 2-1/2 psi, have one that is 20 plus years old and still going strong, about a third of the price of the Pierburg.

Either that Kaehler relay, a later model VW/Audi one with a built in fuse on top or a couple single pole Tyco (Bosch) relays one for crank the other for run to power the pump.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: What kind of Electric Fuel Pump do you use? Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
Johnboy333 wrote:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2117548

The original German Pierburg fuel pumps last for decades not a year or less like most of the cheap Chinese fuel pumps sold today. They also put out 3psi vs. the 5psi and up on the 'new' ones sold today.

What Bill said.

Nothing wrong with a "good" mechanical pump. Less complicated, less chance of fire and they can handle 150hp.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
windfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: What kind of Electric Fuel Pump do you use? Reply with quote

I'm running a Carter P60504
A note that this pump pushes well, but I don't believe it'll pull fuel to it -- so it needs to be mounted below the gas tank.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: What kind of Electric Fuel Pump do you use? Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:

Nothing wrong with a "good" mechanical pump. Less complicated, less chance of fire and they can handle 150hp.

I always think why reinvent the wheel and add more complexity when it's not needed when OE quality parts are installed? It's like folks who buy an electronic module and then carry a backup distributor with points and condenser installed "in case" the module fails? Rolling Eyes I've never had a Pierburg pump or points/condenser fail on me in 35 years of driving VW's.

In the past 20 years, I've had two breakdowns with a VW that put me on the side of the road. One was a economy fuel pump that I used to test run a rebuilt engine on.

The second was this pump above in the picture. It was on a new to me bus that I hadn't changed in the first week of ownership. The rocker pin is only "peened" in place on most cheap fuel pumps. Well, the rocker/actuating arm pin walked out of the pump body and I was on the side of the freeway. Sadly, I knew this cheap pump was on the engine but hadn't replaced it with a restored Pierburg yet. Procrastination doesn't pay!

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: What kind of Electric Fuel Pump do you use? Reply with quote

I've run Faucet pumps with very good success, a bit noisy but if you put them on rubber isolators they are quieter. I've also installed Carter pumps in friends cars and they work very well also, but I don't like barbed fittings in my cars I use all AN fittings. Either will support anything from stock to big carbs on big engines no problem.

brad
neil68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: What kind of Electric Fuel Pump do you use? Reply with quote

windfish wrote:
I'm running a Carter P60504
A note that this pump pushes well, but I don't believe it'll pull fuel to it -- so it needs to be mounted below the gas tank.

Same Carter pump in my 68 Beetle, also mounted below the tank. Very quiet and no issues in five years of use.

Der Kleiner Rennwagens
68 Beetle 2332 cc, 204 WHP
12.5 seconds @ 107 mph
Dynojet Test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9B_H3eklAo
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: What kind of Electric Fuel Pump do you use? Reply with quote

X3 what Glenn said that Bill said Very Happy . I’ve got a couple of 36hp engines running original German pumps over 60 years old, can’t swear they’ve not been rebuilt but thinking back I didn’t notice any problems with the newer replacement mechanical pumps till about 15 years. Same condition that center rod began to migrate and we had excessive pressure concerns as well.

I can understand why folks would want to install electric because just
like other inferior aftermarket parts they are left with few options. As you know the German pumps and the Brazil pumps are rebuildable but if money is tight and you aren’t worried about appearances that electric pump looks better and better. Very Happy talking to a friend of mine today who rebuilds OEM steering boxes it’s same situation but it breaks down different in that the majority of his market comes from Ghia owners. Seems they are willing to spend the extra money to keep their cars original whereas type 1 folks are buying chinese parts in the mistaken belief they are saving money. I’ll just say buying those aftermarket chinese parts is going to cost more in the long run. Good luck
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: What kind of Electric Fuel Pump do you use? Reply with quote

Mechanical pumps work great. Buy new, NOS, or rebuilt.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jhicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:17 am    Post subject: Re: What kind of Electric Fuel Pump do you use? Reply with quote

I'm running a Carter in my '69, mounted below the tank with a relay.
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:14 am    Post subject: Re: What kind of Electric Fuel Pump do you use? Reply with quote

Been driving an ACVW as a DD for over 30 years, and never needed anything but the stock fuel pump for engines ranging in size from a 1300 to a 2110. In an accident, an electric fuel pump can be fatal, if not setup properly.
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
Meiang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: What kind of Electric Fuel Pump do you use? Reply with quote

Like a lot of replies why would you want to run an electric fuel pump.

The original VW pump work fine for just about ever. Original VW fuel pump overhaul kits are readiliy available so there is no excuse to use some cheap and nasty non original unit or an electrical pump.

With an electrical pump you need extra wiring and possibly a fuel pressure regulator. All this would cost more than overhauling the original pump and causing a lot of grief trying to install it. As they say its a no brainer.
volksworld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: What kind of Electric Fuel Pump do you use? Reply with quote

the only time i would use an electric pump would be on injection conversions where the block had no provision for a manual pump...the little facet cube worked fine for that (think there may be low and high pressure versions, if so get the low pressure one)....those pumps push, they dont pull, so they have to be mounted under the tank...rubber mounts and a relay...but i'd still stick to manual....my 8000rpm race car used a stock pump....are you fighting a rust issue in the tank or line thats screwing up the pumps?
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: What kind of Electric Fuel Pump do you use? Reply with quote

Loud as @#$k Shocked Holley Red mounted under the fuel tank Wink

76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
Johnboy333
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: What kind of Electric Fuel Pump do you use? Reply with quote

volksworld wrote:
the only time i would use an electric pump would be on injection conversions where the block had no provision for a manual pump...the little facet cube worked fine for that (think there may be low and high pressure versions, if so get the low pressure one)....those pumps push, they dont pull, so they have to be mounted under the tank...rubber mounts and a relay...but i'd still stick to manual....my 8000rpm race car used a stock pump....are you fighting a rust issue in the tank or line thats screwing up the pumps?

No rust issues, new tank and good flow, just lousy reman fuel pumps.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: