Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fuel Injection or Carburetor
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
WestfaliaMike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:53 pm    Post subject: Fuel Injection or Carburetor Reply with quote

Bought my van with all the fuel injection removed. It was a failed project from the pervious owener. He had all the parts to converted to carburetor. I continued with his idea, finished with everything, got it running pretty good.

The question, I have a parts van with everything to convert it back to Fuel Injection.

So fuel injection or carburetor?
chompy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Injection or Carburetor Reply with quote

Fuel injection all the way. Just replace the vacuum lines and any other ancillary parts when you install it and you'll notice the difference right away. My van originally came with a carb. While I actually prefer working on carbs since they are nice and basic, the fuel injection just makes more sense and gets better gas mileage. Not sure if you need to pass smog, but thats another reason to switch back to efi.
WestfaliaMike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Injection or Carburetor Reply with quote

Thank you. Anyone else?
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Injection or Carburetor Reply with quote

It's all covered in post number 2
delmar acer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Injection or Carburetor Reply with quote

chompy wrote:
Fuel injection all the way. Just replace the vacuum lines and any other ancillary parts when you install it and you'll notice the difference right away. My van originally came with a carb. While I actually prefer working on carbs since they are nice and basic, the fuel injection just makes more sense and gets better gas mileage. Not sure if you need to pass smog, but thats another reason to switch back to efi.

I have an '82 Westy 2.0 air cooled that was converted to a center mount Weber carb and no choke hookup. Shocked Beside it's being a wrong idea Shame on you , I have no EFI parts. I added Electronic ignition. Does anyone have any experience with having both dual carb's and intake manifolds, and factory EFI, and how that performs?
Also, where to get the EFI parts, just in case?
Thanks
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Injection or Carburetor Reply with quote

Hello, there was a recent thread where a member had dual carbs and hot the engine was hard to start. Consensus seemed to be boiling fuel was flooding the engine when it shut off. It was a tight fit under the vanagon deck with air filters. Did not hear back from the member what he ended up doing.

For dual carbs to work, the engine needs to have 4 equal cylinders to get a good tune. They also need to be properly jetted for your application. Carb linkage is probably the most critical. It must be stout and able to let both follow each other equally.

For a complete fuel injection setup you will need to shop around for a used system. They are out there.
the joker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Injection or Carburetor Reply with quote

There is a factory setup , used in europe mostly, center mountd Solex pic 5 with heated manifold

maybe abe to find one here or canada.

I have been running it for years on my 84 westy t25 2.1l
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WestfaliaMike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Injection or Carburetor Reply with quote

Ill be honest, im pretty happy with the way mine runs. No issues except a little finicky when starting sometimes.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: