Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Operating cost of 87-91 Vanagon vs 2001-03 Eurovan
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Simpdog5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:01 am    Post subject: Operating cost of 87-91 Vanagon vs 2001-03 Eurovan Reply with quote

Let's face, both are older cars. Both are going to cost $$$ as time goes on and the van is driven. This is an unavoidable fact.

Question is this: The newer model Eurovan is a computer based machine and as such costs $ overtime the check engine light goes on, which, based on my knowledge as a 2002 EV Weekender owner for 15 years, is often. So each time something needs tending to it can be expensive.

The 87-91 Vanagons (which I am looking at) are clearly an older vehicle, but also not computer based and (seemingly) much simpler to maintain.

Ironically enough a 2002 Weekender with 150k miles is similar in cost to an 87 Vanagon with like miles. Obviously the nostalgia/collector mentality driving the price up in play here. So not sure from a cost effective situation which way to go.

Will be my daily driver but that works out to just about 100 miles per week on the average. Basically around town and to the beach and back. Maybe 2 large (500+ mile) trips per year. Leaning towards the Vanagon but familiar with the Eurovan.

No correct answer here I know, but love to hear peoples thoughts and opinions.

Thanks in advance and hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving holiday!!!
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Operating cost of 87-91 Vanagon vs 2001-03 Eurovan Reply with quote

An AUTEL 50x or higher reader will read out your codes and VAG codes to boot. That will cost you about $80. Many codes are spurious and can be cleared and monitored, and not come back.

The T4 will be much cheaper to own on the maintenance side both on time and on materials.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Operating cost of 87-91 Vanagon vs 2001-03 Eurovan Reply with quote

Or some kind of bluetooth OBDII reader (i bought mine on Amazon) and a smart phone app can check/clear codes quick and easy.

I also have the VAG-COM stuff, but most of the time just need the bluetooth dongle. That cost about $25 I think.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Operating cost of 87-91 Vanagon vs 2001-03 Eurovan Reply with quote

Do you live in CA? How long can you keep getting a late 80’s vehicle to pass smog before it becomes a headache and money pit trying to get it to pass? For me living in CA that plays a huge role in any car purchase.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: