Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dist will not come out. Type4 1700
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
2mmBTDC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:28 pm    Post subject: Dist will not come out. Type4 1700 Reply with quote

I am trying to remove the distributor from a 1700cc Type4. I removed the 13mm nut that holds the clamp down (always worked before on VWs). The distributor will come up about 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch, and them won't budge. I have the motor at TDC on #1: the rotor is pointed at the #1 wire, the rotor is lined up on the notch on the distributor body, and the timing marks are on 0 degrees. The motor ran well timed at 30 BTDC, (all I am doing is swapping in a vacuum/cent distributor, for a centrifugal-only 009), so I know the timing marks are at least close.

It feels like the rubber O-ring is stuck; it is sort of a 'rubbery' feeling stop.

Some of the early VW aircooled 4s had a distributor drive shaped so that the distributor could only be removed when the motor was at #1 TDC. Something about a D-shaped shaft or ?, that can be fitted to the newer motors. I have tried rotating the engine 20 degrees or so each way, but still can't get the distributor out.

I am a large person, so I suspect it's getting plenty of pull. I've never had a problem getting one out before - they've slid right out.

Anyone have any ideas, here? I am going to try different engine rotations, in case there is one of those D-shaped drive pieces - not sure what else to try. Tempted to use force, but I don't want to break something - at least the thing runs, right now!

Thanks for any help.
914sgofast2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Dist will not come out. Type4 1700 Reply with quote

I had the same problem once on my Porsche 914 with the 1.7 motor. The rubber o-ring swells up and can get super hard. I used a big screwdriver under the body of the distributor and just pried it up. There is nothing special about the shape of the distributor drive housing that locks it into the engine block.

Maybe the clamping bolt that adjusts/stops the distributor housing from turning when you set the timing is hitting something when you pull up on the distributor housing. I suggest lossening the clamp bolt too, and then pulling up on the distributor housing.
Mike D.
2mmBTDC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Dist will not come out. Type4 1700 Reply with quote

914: Many thanks! Correct; it was the left-side air-cooling shrouding, preventing the clamp from coming up. Once I loosened the clamp, the dist slid right out.

I assume whoever had the shrouding off, last, installed the shrouding with the dist in, and the tolerances allowed the shrouding to sit over the dist clamp.

BTW, the 1700 definitely has a higher powerband than the VW 2000 'smog motor' (not Porsche 914; different cam & valve sizes, I think), particularly with dual Webers.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Dist will not come out. Type4 1700 Reply with quote

2mmBTDC wrote:
914: Many thanks! Correct; it was the left-side air-cooling shrouding, preventing the clamp from coming up. Once I loosened the clamp, the dist slid right out.

I assume whoever had the shrouding off, last, installed the shrouding with the dist in, and the tolerances allowed the shrouding to sit over the dist clamp.

BTW, the 1700 definitely has a higher powerband than the VW 2000 'smog motor' (not Porsche 914; different cam & valve sizes, I think), particularly with dual Webers.

Oh yes! There is nothing in the bus range of type 4 engine tjat holds a candle.....for non bus use.....to the powerband of the 1.7L that went into the 411/412 and 914. The 1.7L with stock domed pistons, a mild compression bump from removing head gasket and shims, better can, exhaust, ignition and very good fuel tuning can put out right at 100 hp witjout hard work even with stock injection. Some well tuned carbs or aftermarket injection can do the same.
The 2.0 914 engine is a notch up from that. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: