Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Finding a 6v battery for a Split bus?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hoehleneule
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Finding a 6v battery for a Split bus? Reply with quote

One trick setup would be to buy 9 Enersys "Cyclon" 2 V 25 Ah cells, and then wire them in three parallel strings of three, to get a 6 V 75 Ah (10 hour) battery. The stocker flooded battery was 6 V 77 Ah, 20 hour, so you'd end up with a bit higher capacity. Also, as far as I know, all the Cyclons are made at a plant in Missouri.

Enersys used to be Hawker, and before that Gates - the same Gates as the belt and hose people. I believe Gates either invented or patented the spiral-wound AGM cell in the US, in the late 70s or early 80s. At some point in the past, Gates hived off the car battery business to Optima, but kept the single-cell business.

The flaw in the slaw with this idea is that those 9 cells would cost you about $74, each, if you just buy enough for one Bus... the battery would end up costing you $663 plus some fabrication of wires and a mount. Oh well.

[pedantic]Also, a "dry cell" is a primary, non-rechargeable cell, like an alkaline or carbon-zinc D, AA, etc. Optimas (and similar makes) have liquid acid in them, but it's soaked up in fiberglass sheets between the lead plates - "absorbed glass mat".[/pedantic]

I am not affiliated with any companies mentioned.

Hoehleneule
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Finding a 6v battery for a Split bus? Reply with quote

here is a how I mount a 6 volt optima.

I put a small piece of a 2x4 under the lid so that the edges don't cut into the battery body. I use a stock battery strap (or a fuel tank strap), and bend it over the latching part of the strap at the proper length to hold the battery tight. It holds the battery in pretty good, and it is the original holding system, just adjusted to fit the wierdly shaped battery.

On the stock battery strap, it is spot welded after the bend. I don't bother doing this, and they don't seem to come loose.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
swiss_bulli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Finding a 6v battery for a Split bus? Reply with quote

I was wondering if someone is using those?

http://www.bosch-classic.com/en/internet/bosch_cla...ser_1.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Finding a 6v battery for a Split bus? Reply with quote

Buy an optima on amazon...they gurantee, and send you a new if it goes bad, no questions asked, fits right in.

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
guatebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Finding a 6v battery for a Split bus? Reply with quote

I got my Optima in 2009 and it's still going strong.
62DoKaGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Finding a 6v battery for a Split bus? Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
here is a how I mount a 6 volt optima.

I put a small piece of a 2x4 under the lid so that the edges don't cut into the battery body. I use a stock battery strap (or a fuel tank strap), and bend it over the latching part of the strap at the proper length to hold the battery tight. It holds the battery in pretty good, and it is the original holding system, just adjusted to fit the wierdly shaped battery.

On the stock battery strap, it is spot welded after the bend. I don't bother doing this, and they don't seem to come loose.

Good to know I could continue to keep original parts in service with a modern 6-volt. I'm still on the fence about keeping my '59 SC 6v, but little tidbits of knowledge like this make me lean towards it. Thanks, Lind.

4/62 Double Cab
5/61 Panel (sold)
4/59 Single Cab (sold)
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Finding a 6v battery for a Split bus? Reply with quote

Interstate still sells the 19L. Use the cover that Lind posted and the hold-down. I put the rubber covers over the terminals to prevent molecular and electrical contact. Advance Auto Parts also has the 19L by Carquest.
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Finding a 6v battery for a Split bus? Reply with quote

...and less than an hour ago I "on-line" ordered a Duracell Ultra BCI Group 19L Starting Heavy six volt battery to be sent to my local "Batteries Plus Bulbs" outlet for my pick-up for $117 (after a 10% on-line ordering discount).

I could not get the Interstate web site to show any Group 19L six volt batteries at all, I don't doubt you BarryL, but it was a 'no go" on their site.

I was on the fence about jumping up to the six volt Optima Red top from Amazon (currently at $168 with free shipping), and I probably will shortly as another of my four six-volt VWs might be needing a new battery soon. I dig the way Lind mounted his with the VW tie-down hardware, great idea! It does spook me a little to turn any battery sideways... but I'm assured they are well sealed and won't leak. Hmmmmm...

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Finding a 6v battery for a Split bus? Reply with quote

BulliBill wrote:
I could not get the Interstate web site to show any Group 19L six volt batteries at all, I don't doubt you BarryL, but it was a 'no go" on their site.

That website is weird now. It acts like it can't handle older years. You have to go to an Interstate battery seller like Firestone. They will bring it in.
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Finding a 6v battery for a Split bus? Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
Interstate still sells the 19L. Use the cover that Lind posted and the hold-down. I put the rubber covers over the terminals to prevent molecular and electrical contact. Advance Auto Parts also has the 19L by Carquest.

The cover fits perfectly on the 19L, and does not touch the positive terminal. there is also a plastic cover for the positive terminal which fits on under the cover.

WW sells reproduction battery hold down straps. I find the battery covers at swap meets all the time. I never pay more than $10 for used one, and $20 for an NOS one. They do not sell very fast at swap meets. I don't even bother to bring them anymore since I rarely sell them.

I like the optima over a standard battery just because there is less corrosion on the terminals and less potential rust in the battery tray. The stock electrical system in an old VW is not very demanding of the battery, so the optima and the 19L perform pretty much the same on a regularly driven vehicle. Optimas hold their charge better when sitting for long periods of time. Topping up the charge on a battery every few months is not all that big of a deal to me.

I have plans to hide an optima under the rear seat of a bus and then put a dummy battery in the stock location so that a bus can appear totally stock.

BarryL wrote:
BulliBill wrote:
That website is weird now. It acts like it can't handle older years. You have to go to an Interstate battery seller like Firestone. They will bring it in.
I am an interstate dealer and they are currently available, and I have one in stock. So any local interstate seller should be able to get them fairly easily.

BulliBill wrote:
I was on the fence about jumping up to the six volt Optima Red top from Amazon (currently at $168 with free shipping), and I probably will shortly as another of my four six-volt VWs might be needing a new battery soon. I dig the way Lind mounted his with the VW tie-down hardware, great idea! It does spook me a little to turn any battery sideways... but I'm assured they are well sealed and won't leak. Hmmmmm...

Bill
I have run them on their sides for over ten years and never had any problem.
Every battery needs to be secured in place, or you will have problems at some point.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hoehleneule
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Finding a 6v battery for a Split bus? Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
BarryL wrote:
BulliBill wrote:
I am an interstate dealer and they are currently available, and I have one in stock.
I had the same trouble when I was trying the Interstate site a few days ago. They used to offer a PDF that listed all the sizes they make, but now they want to shunt you into their make-model-year looker-upper, which I couldn't make work for our years of Bus. Maybe they got tired of people buying what they thought was the right part number and getting a battery that didn't fit, and so decided to shunt everyone into the looker-upper.

I found this version of an older Interstate catalog at a third-party site. The Interstate part number is MT-19L, in their Mega-Tron II line. 440 CCA, 120 minutes RC, 550 CA, 8.25" long x 6.625" wide x 7.375" high, SAE post terminal, 25 pounds.

I am not affiliated with any companies mentioned.

Hoehleneule
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Finding a 6v battery for a Split bus? Reply with quote

Okay, so I order a Duracell 6 volt Group 19L from Batteryplusbulbs. I picked it up, and then threw a charger on it. Then I threw a battery tester on it to check it out. With no load, the tester showed the battery in the middle of the Green "good" area. Then under load for ten seconds the tester meter showed the battery dropped into the "weak" mode. I was not happy that under a full charge and brand new that the battery didn't stay in the green zone "under load". I just returned it.

When I mentioned possibly buying a six volt Optima, the battery guy told me that Optima battery's were originally designed and made by Odyssey battery. He said that a few years ago Odyssey sold the Optima line and technology to a company who now makes Optima's in Mexico, and that they use less "pure" lead and that they don't hold up like they did before the company sale. He said Optima batteries sold before the sale to Mexico production last much longer, since then not so much. He showed me the tiny "made in Mexico" marks on new Optima's and suggested looking into other Odyssey products (not sure yet if they make a 6 volt battery worth considering).

Does any of that sound right, and are buyers of recently made Mexican-made Optima six volt batteries's having any issues? I gotta find something that'll last and not break the bank! I'm wondering if the salesman was correct? Thoughts?

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Finding a 6v battery for a Split bus? Reply with quote

BulliBill wrote:
Does any of that sound right, and are buyers of recently made Mexican-made Optima six volt batteries's having any issues? I gotta find something that'll last and not break the bank! I'm wondering if the salesman was correct? Thoughts?

Bill
I run an optima in my '61 bus. It works great while I drive it for six months out of the year, park the bus for six months, and then it turns the bus over for long enough to pump fuel into the carb and start it and run it for six more months. I don't even bother to disconnect the battery for the winter anymore. I don't notice the battery at all. I am sure it is a mexican one. I will check the year on it tomorrow.

The stuff that I read on the internet says that if it is bad, it will fairly quickly. So if it lasts a year, it will likely last many more.
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Finding a 6v battery for a Split bus? Reply with quote

Lind wrote:

The stuff that I read on the internet says that if it is bad, it will fail fairly quickly. So if it lasts a year, it will likely last many more.

I currently have one of these in my flipseat:
https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NBP7217L

Worked good for about 6 months, but now it won't start the bus after sitting a few days. I leave it disconnected when sitting. Put a charger on it for 5 minutes and it shows fully charged again and will start right up. I'll be returning it for an exchange soon.

Does anyone know of a 6V 88 AH battery that is the 19L size? My bus is m-coded for 88 AH battery. Maybe I'll just get the optima next..
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: