Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dead #1 cylinder
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
i_luv_my_bus76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Dead #1 cylinder Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
i_luv_my_bus76 wrote:
SHE'S ALIVE!!!!!!

So my issue was that I had the choke all wrong...she starts and idles nicely except for a miss...
When I pull the plug wires for cylinders 1 and 2 the motor is uneffected...i changed the spark plugs and it ran and idled smoothly but shortly after 1 and 2 went dead again...

Any suggestions

Check the carb manifold where it bolts to the head on 1/2. Sounds like a vacuum leak.

Definitely will thanks for the suggestion
i_luv_my_bus76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Dead #1 cylinder Reply with quote

Starbucket wrote:
You say "Went dead again" were the plugs fouled? oily? melted? carbon stuck between plug gap?, How did they go dead? White as snow = big vacuum leak.

Plugs weren't oily or melted, they were new plugs with zero miles on them. I installed them when I put the rebuilt heads on... When I changed the plugs this last time it idled nicely for about 90 seconds then I could hear the miss again...

I didn't see any smoke but I agree with wcfvw69 I think it could be a vacuum leak or I'm hoping it's one
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Dead #1 cylinder Reply with quote

Did you get the old crush.washers out of the head before installing new ones? Once they.get crushed, they look like part of the head. I've pulled apart multiple single port engines with multiple crush.washers stacked on top of each other. Usually ppl just torque down the nuts so tight to get them to seal, they bend the flanges.

Check for vacuum leaks at the head where the intake bolts up.
i_luv_my_bus76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Dead #1 cylinder Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:
Did you get the old crush.washers out of the head before installing new ones? Once they.get crushed, they look like part of the head. I've pulled apart multiple single port engines with multiple crush.washers stacked on top of each other. Usually ppl just torque down the nuts so tight to get them to seal, they bend the flanges.

Yeah I made sure I got the old ones out...i had a hard time getting the nuts real tight the first time I installed them I went too tight and stripped out the manifold stud so I was real careful maybe to careful this time...im going to go back around and tighten them
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Dead #1 cylinder Reply with quote

i_luv_my_bus76 wrote:
Pruneman99 wrote:

Yeah I made sure I got the old ones out...i had a hard time getting the nuts real tight the first time I installed them I went too tight and stripped out the manifold stud so I was real careful maybe to careful this time...im going to go back around and tighten them

Borrow a torque wrench from your FAPS and tighten slowly a little at a time i.e. nut near #1 then #4, #2, and #3 and repeat until you get to 10 ft/lbs (I think, check your book or maybe someone will chime in if I'm wrong).
i_luv_my_bus76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Dead #1 cylinder Reply with quote

Starbucket wrote:
i_luv_my_bus76 wrote:
Pruneman99 wrote:

Borrow a torque wrench from your FAPS and tighten slowly a little at a time i.e. nut near #1 then #4, #2, and #3 and repeat until you get to 10 ft/lbs (I think, check your book or maybe someone will chime in if I'm wrong).

I have a torque wrench...a freshly calibrated snap on torque wrench...i was using it and John Muirs idiot guide when i stripped out the stud...i will try it again

Thanks for all the help I sincerely appreciate it
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Dead #1 cylinder Reply with quote

[quote="i_luv_my_bus76"]
Starbucket wrote:
i_luv_my_bus76 wrote:
Pruneman99 wrote:

I have a torque wrench...a freshly calibrated snap on torque wrench...i was using it and John Muirs idiot guide when i stripped out the stud...i will try it again

Thanks for all the help I sincerely appreciate it

/quote] If you have a short piece of hose, with the motor running, you can hold one end to your ear and the other end my the manifold joint and you can hear a hiss if it's leaking.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: