Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

36hp Stroker Crank Wolfsburg West
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tobiasax
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too bad with the pistons...

I have found a guy that will help me with the spacers. I play it safe and make them 2,7 mm thick to retain stock "top-piston-position in the cylinder" (in Swedish "vändhhöjd", but I don't know the english word).

The compression ratio will be a tad bit low (I guess 7.7:1), but I don't want to machine in my original almost-untouched Okrasa heads.

I am planning on use Wolfsburg West push rod extenders as well.
volksartist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there are set up costs etc. I would take a set or two of the spacers for stock cylinders. Maybe better value for many sets?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
snowbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 1:16 pm    Post subject: pistons Reply with quote

volksartist wrote:
If there are set up costs etc. I would take a set or two of the spacers for stock cylinders. Maybe better value for many sets?
I am thinking about doing this to my pistons and not using spacers. Don`t need spacers in the pushrods either. I will be running stock heads . They have cavernous combustion chambers. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=592963
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tobiasax
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

volksartist wrote:

Sorry, he had them made yesterday. I did trade the job for vintage VW parts.
snowbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: pistons Reply with quote

snowbug wrote:
volksartist wrote:
I am thinking about doing this to my pistons and not using spacers. Don`t need spacers in the pushrods either. I will be running stock heads . They have cavernous combustion chambers. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=592963

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

So I machined the top of a scrap 36hp piston to clear the head. 3mm off the edge. Then cut it in half to see how much thickness is left in the crown. I am still looking for a new 77.45 piston and 2 cylinders.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 36hp Stroker Crank Wolfsburg West Reply with quote

Why Can the Stock 36hp Connecting Rod Bolts Be Shorten to Clear the 69,5 Crank /Cam .I See all These Other Rods with Small Length Rod Bolt Like the AA Piston 356 H Beam Rods Use 1.4x1/4 Bolts ,and Got Me Thinking Why We Dont Use Shorter Bolts .Any Thoughts About Useing Shorter Bolts on Stock Connecting Rods ..Anybody ?? Thoughts????
volksartist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: 36hp Stroker Crank Wolfsburg West Reply with quote

Not sure what you mean?. The shoulder on the rod cap is the clearance issue. The bolt should be fine.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: 36hp Stroker Crank Wolfsburg West Reply with quote

THATS MY POINT IM GETTING AT. IF WE USED SHORTER BOLTS THAT WOULD ALLOW US TO CUT THE SHOULDER SOME MORE .THE STOCK LENGTH ON THE OEM BOLT IS 1-7/16 IN LENGTH IF I WERE TO CUT THE BOLT BACK SOME JUST SAY TO 1-1/4 THATS ABOUT 3/16 DIFFERENCE THAT CAN CLEAR EVEN BETTER FOR THE 69.5 CRANK WITH PREA SUPER CAM ..DO YOU THINK I WOULD HAVE A PROBLEM WITH TORQUE OR OTHER PROBLEMS IM NOT SEEING ...ANYONE SHINE ON ME ..
volksartist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 36hp Stroker Crank Wolfsburg West Reply with quote

I am not too confident in taking away strength from the stock rod but others here have more experience. I trimmed my stock rods, weight matched them and sent them for re-sizing. The machinist forgot to mark all the matching pairs. The balancer did not want to touch them, I got pissed off and bought AA H beams. They center up easily and should be way overkill for my motor. Good peace of mind. Twisted Evil
snowbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 36hp Stroker Crank Wolfsburg West Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
THATS MY POINT IM GETTING AT. IF WE USED SHORTER BOLTS THAT WOULD ALLOW US TO CUT THE SHOULDER SOME MORE .THE STOCK LENGTH ON THE OEM BOLT IS 1-7/16 IN LENGTH IF I WERE TO CUT THE BOLT BACK SOME JUST SAY TO 1-1/4 THATS ABOUT 3/16 DIFFERENCE THAT CAN CLEAR EVEN BETTER FOR THE 69.5 CRANK WITH PREA SUPER CAM ..DO YOU THINK I WOULD HAVE A PROBLEM WITH TORQUE OR OTHER PROBLEMS IM NOT SEEING ...ANYONE SHINE ON ME ..

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
The length of the bolt is not a problem. Only need a tiny bit of grinding from the side of the cap as you can see.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: