Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

looking to get my first vw
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
luke9511
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:43 am    Post subject: looking to get my first vw Reply with quote

hey everyone need some advice, i have never owned a classic vw but i have an uncle who has owned a few over the years and is pretty good with them,

so i have him and the samba for awesome help! i am looking to get a vw bus for my first classic vw and the reason being is i am about to be 31 and i feel like i wasted my 20's and i feel like i do not spend enough time with my fiancee

and one of the things we want to do is travel route 66 and i figure the best way to do that is in a classic vw bus, now i finally paid off my truck which i am going to try and sell or if possible trade towards a bus, but my question is where is the best place to try and strike up a deal like that?

the truck itself is a 04 nissan frontier crew cab with the long bed, in its current condition i say its worth $2500-$3000, now i know most wont trade a vw for this which is why i plan to try and sell it,

but as i have never done this before i was hoping maybe i could get some advice on where to go besides craigslist unless thats the only place to go.

thanks in advance for any help or advice!
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: looking to get my first vw Reply with quote

i'd look in the samba classifieds, where you'll see the kind of nowhere near road worthy garbage piles you can maybe buy for $2500-3000.
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: looking to get my first vw Reply with quote

Hazet Guy is right, I was gonna get a $2000 bus and then I thought about it (and was yelled at by the Bay Window community Laughing ) SAVE UP! Get a $5-10K bus that's roadworthy so you can start your trip when you first get it. Good luck!
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
luke9511
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: looking to get my first vw Reply with quote

67ctbug wrote:
Hazet Guy is right, I was gonna get a $2000 bus and then I thought about it (and was yelled at by the Bay Window community Laughing ) SAVE UP! Get a $5-10K bus that's roadworthy so you can start your trip when you first get it. Good luck!
i can add more money to it no problem, and the trip wont be for a year or two, i am looking for something that is a bit of a project but not with major rot as right now and probably for a year or two wont have the room for welding but do have a place to do engine work
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: looking to get my first vw Reply with quote

Here's your man right here. If he doesn't have he can point you in the right direction.

www.wayoutsalvage.com
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: looking to get my first vw Reply with quote

Buy a Bus or Vanagon manual from Bentley etc now to educate yourself better? Don't worry about the shipping costs to buy a complete bus with a fairly solid body. Fly out to look at it in person if you don't want any surprises!
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Globespotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: looking to get my first vw Reply with quote

Definitely here on The Samba classifieds is a good bet. That's where I got my 71 Super Beetle, which I drove home via Route 66, and it's where I got a contact in BC that ended up getting me my 77 Westy.

Always good to network with folks and see if they know of any good deals.

My advice - spend the $ up front - $10-$12K rather than trying to buy a $2-6K bus that will end up costing you $15-20K in the end.
1971 Super Beetle - 1977-1980

1971 SB Survivor Story: https://globespotter.com/
Road Trip Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=511800&highlight=
My 77 Westy Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=647114&highlight=

http://vw-mplate.com/mcode.php?lang=EN&id=30990
https://vw-type2-id.xyz/mplate/72067382
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: looking to get my first vw Reply with quote

Get a Bug. You can easily find one that runs well in your price range.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: looking to get my first vw Reply with quote

"and one of the things we want to do is travel route 66 "
Well honestly there is not much left to the original highway. You are on and off I-40. US Hy 60 was my choice a few years ago.
Having a type 2 would be fine. Get a type 1 bug as they are in your price range. The question you will be asked is what year is it.
Attend shows, as you may find something for sale.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
luke9511
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: looking to get my first vw Reply with quote

gt1953 wrote:
"and one of the things we want to do is travel route 66 "
Well honestly there is not much left to the original highway. You are on and off I-40. US Hy 60 was my choice a few years ago.
Having a type 2 would be fine. Get a type 1 bug as they are in your price range. The question you will be asked is what year is it.
Attend shows, as you may find something for sale.
bug will be later, i see plenty of bugs here where i live never see anything else

also quick off topic question, whats up with the volkswagen fastback? my grandfather used to own a red one before i was born and he recently asked about fastbacks and i looked on craigslist and here and there was hardly any for sale, are they rare or getting rare or something?
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: looking to get my first vw Reply with quote

luke9511 wrote:
also quick off topic question, whats up with the volkswagen fastback? my grandfather used to own a red one before i was born and he recently asked about fastbacks and i looked on craigslist and here and there was hardly any for sale, are they rare or getting rare or something?

No, they are not rare, although maybe they are in your area.

Searching on people who have picked that as a model in the classifieds section:
There are 40 Fastbacks for sale here
versus
28 Notchbacks
86 Squarebacks
5 Type 34s/Type 3 Ghias
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: looking to get my first vw Reply with quote

A squareback has a lot of room inside with the back seat folded down flat and/or a roof rack for hauling/traveling etc. Idea

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: looking to get my first vw Reply with quote

Nice looking squareback you got there Mike. I suggest you get a bay window camper. And make sure it's at least a '73, it has more crash safety in the event of a collision.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: looking to get my first vw Reply with quote

Globespotter wrote:
Definitely here on The Samba classifieds is a good bet. That's where I got my 71 Super Beetle, which I drove home via Route 66, and it's where I got a contact in BC that ended up getting me my 77 Westy.

Always good to network with folks and see if they know of any good deals.

My advice - spend the $ up front - $10-$12K rather than trying to buy a $2-6K bus that will end up costing you $15-20K in the end.

I agree 100%.....Customer bought a bargain bus at $6K.....My bill was another $9K. He would have done better buying a nicer bus to start with.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ultralite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: looking to get my first vw Reply with quote

Early Bay Window Bus owner here and in the southeast as well. I found mine many years ago here on Samba. At the time I was searching in the classifieds section, filtered on the "Southeast" region. But I was also searching Craigslist and eBay.

IMO, Samba gives you your best chance of buying from an enthusiast. Craigslist is your best chance for seeing something close to where you live. And eBay? Well I'm leery but I like to leave no rock unturned.

Also IMO, if you're fiancee is in her 30s, I'd definitely be searching for a Bus that either has the Westfalia pop top or a hightop. Space tends to lower the whine quotient. I love the looks of the "slicktops" (solid metal roof) and you can find them with the camper equipment. But moving around inside hunched over gets old quick.

You're in a beautiful part of the country. I take my Bus to TN all the time. By all means take on West, I love it out there too. Just keep in mind your state and the Appalachians are fantastic for Bus exploration.

Give yourself some time and get used to the market, prices and Bus condition. It can seem daunting at first. But you start to get a better feel for what you want and what you want to pay.

Oh, almost forgot, obviously I'm biased toward early Bays because I own one but still, I do like the Type 1 engine. Figure out your tastes based on what you learn about Type 1 vs Type IV engines.

'76 Beetle (sold)
'69 Beetle (sold)
'72 BMW 2002 (RIP)
'69 Westy
'02 BMW wagon AWD w/stick shift(sold)
'67 Beetle (sold)
luke9511
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: looking to get my first vw Reply with quote

ultralite wrote:
Early Bay Window Bus owner here and in the southeast as well. I found mine many years ago here on Samba. At the time I was searching in the classifieds section, filtered on the "Southeast" region. But I was also searching Craigslist and eBay.

IMO, Samba gives you your best chance of buying from an enthusiast. Craigslist is your best chance for seeing something close to where you live. And eBay? Well I'm leery but I like to leave no rock unturned.

Also IMO, if you're fiancee is in her 30s, I'd definitely be searching for a Bus that either has the Westfalia pop top or a hightop. Space tends to lower the whine quotient. I love the looks of the "slicktops" (solid metal roof) and you can find them with the camper equipment. But moving around inside hunched over gets old quick.

You're in a beautiful part of the country. I take my Bus to TN all the time. By all means take on West, I love it out there too. Just keep in mind your state and the Appalachians are fantastic for Bus exploration.

Give yourself some time and get used to the market, prices and Bus condition. It can seem daunting at first. But you start to get a better feel for what you want and what you want to pay.

Oh, almost forgot, obviously I'm biased toward early Bays because I own one but still, I do like the Type 1 engine. Figure out your tastes based on what you learn about Type 1 vs Type IV engines.
thanks for the advice! she does want to go to gatlinburg and a couple of other nice locations within the state, i am still working on getting my truck under my name and once i do and get it sold then i will start looking,

what i would like to have is what i said above, something that is a bit of a project to give me something to learn and tinker with but not a rust bucket which is getting harder all the time
vwinnovator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: looking to get my first vw Reply with quote

luke9511 wrote:
ultralite wrote:

thanks for the advice! she does want to go to gatlinburg and a couple of other nice locations within the state, i am still working on getting my truck under my name and once i do and get it sold then i will start looking,

what i would like to have is what i said above, something that is a bit of a project to give me something to learn and tinker with but not a rust bucket which is getting harder all the time

We were just in gatlinburg!! Awesome little town and smoky mountains were a blast.

hit me up for some details on a couple solid bus "projects" I have avail. sounds like what your looking for.
oc92
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:14 am    Post subject: Re: looking to get my first vw Reply with quote

finding the good vw deals has been a lot like finding a girl... they always popped up when you weren't looking

72 bus
70 bug
96 mx5
luke9511
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: looking to get my first vw Reply with quote

vwinnovator wrote:
luke9511 wrote:
ultralite wrote:

We were just in gatlinburg!! Awesome little town and smoky mountains were a blast.

hit me up for some details on a couple solid bus "projects" I have avail. sounds like what your looking for.
sorry i missed your reply vwinnovator, let me know what you have, with the holidays and everything i have been busy and havent gotten around to getting my truck in my name and sold but am currently looking still which brings me to a question, should i look exclusively in my home state and maybe a state or two around me or look further out? i have check ky, ga and al and each one has some that are worse than others
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: