Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Adam's 1955 Wolfsburg Semaphore Kombi Build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skim
Rants Master

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Adam's 1955 Wolfsburg Semaphore Kombi Build Reply with quote

Okie Adam wrote:
Skim wrote:
Heck yeah Adam

Hey man, like I said, seeing the work you're doing to the 15 inspired me to get off my ass and get something done.

You getting ready to sizzle some bacon soon. I look forward to it. Is your donor metal from the old dove blue panel that got hit?
1954 Sunroof
1959 Lowlight Ghia vert
1960 Lt Grey Double Cab SMZ LEGIT
1963 Deluxe Turkis Walk Thru 15 Window OG Paint
Okie Adam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Adam's 1955 Wolfsburg Semaphore Kombi Build Reply with quote

Skim wrote:
Okie Adam wrote:
Skim wrote:
Heck yeah Adam

Hey man, like I said, seeing the work you're doing to the 15 inspired me to get off my ass and get something done.

You getting ready to sizzle some bacon soon. I look forward to it. Is your donor metal from the old dove blue panel that got hit?

Some bits from that bus will end up on this bus but the donor corner I'm using came with the 55 when I bought it.
62 Single Cab
66 21window
67 so42
76 Westy
64 Karmann Ghia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
d-rick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Adam's 1955 Wolfsburg Semaphore Kombi Build Reply with quote

Travis Woodard wrote:
D-rick how about that mango you have?

yeah...I'm about 8 1/2 years into my 10 yr plan with that one.. Wink
maybe soup '19
1967 panel/camper
1968 cig-panel *1/2
1968 passenger bus *1/2
1969 beetle
1969 dormobile
1978 sage green Westy
1990 DoKa
2002 Golf TDI
Travis Woodard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Adam's 1955 Wolfsburg Semaphore Kombi Build Reply with quote

The years will pass like sand in an hour glass!

56 PGSG OG paint Wilson Avenue church bus

57 deluxe 23 window OG paint

59 mango

69 bay deluxe bay

66 beetle
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Adam's 1955 Wolfsburg Semaphore Kombi Build Reply with quote

Sub-scribed! Wink
1970 Auto Fastback FI
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Travis Woodard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Adam's 1955 Wolfsburg Semaphore Kombi Build Reply with quote

Any updates on this beauty?!?!?

59 mango

69 bay deluxe bay

66 beetle
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Okie Adam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Adam's 1955 Wolfsburg Semaphore Kombi Build Reply with quote

As a matter of fact....

I got to spend some time on the 55 this weekend. I finally got all the spot welds drilled on the factory seam Friday night so Saturday I got the section I wanted trimmed and started working on fitting it.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Some friends stopped by Saturday to help me get the bus moved from beside the garage to on the driveway. This is getting serious!

At some point in this buses history it has had some work done on the rear as well as the front. Well, the luggage surround had been installed incorrectly. I decided to go ahead and pop out the bad piece as it would give me access to weld in the corner at the factory seam.

Other that that it was cutting and fitting, fitting and cutting. I went with a mid beltline cut to use the structure of that bulge to my advantage come welding time. My hope is there will be less panel warping with the dome stucture.

By the end of the day Sunday I had met my goal for the weekend. The corner is fit within 1/8" of where I want it to weld it. I have been taking measurements off my 60 project bus in the garage and I am going to borrow some measurement off of the Church Bus, thanks to Travis, to make sure I have it as right as it can be.

62 Single Cab
66 21window
67 so42
76 Westy
64 Karmann Ghia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Okie Adam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Adam's 1955 Wolfsburg Semaphore Kombi Build Reply with quote

The battery tray and lower corner under the battery tray will be some evening projects this week. Hopefully over the holiday weekend I will get some time to fit them so I can get some finish welding done!
62 Single Cab
66 21window
67 so42
76 Westy
64 Karmann Ghia
Travis Woodard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Adam's 1955 Wolfsburg Semaphore Kombi Build Reply with quote

That corner has changed the whole look of that bus!
I’m excited to see this project come full circle great work!

59 mango

69 bay deluxe bay

66 beetle
Mr. OGPaint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Adam's 1955 Wolfsburg Semaphore Kombi Build Reply with quote

Curious what month this bus was made? I'm guessing March or April of 55
Okie Adam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: Adam's 1955 Wolfsburg Semaphore Kombi Build Reply with quote

Mr. OGPaint wrote:

It is an early April bus.
62 Single Cab
66 21window
67 so42
76 Westy
64 Karmann Ghia
Mr. OGPaint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: Adam's 1955 Wolfsburg Semaphore Kombi Build Reply with quote

Okie Adam wrote:
Mr. OGPaint wrote:

Cool! Probably an American spec bus made just before bullet turnsignal were introduced.
djfordmanjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Adam's 1955 Wolfsburg Semaphore Kombi Build Reply with quote

cool project!
I have an April 55 36hp 20-****** engine, just in case, pm.

52 Barndoor DLX Coachbuild project
55 Wolfsburg panel project, og paint Taubenblau L31
62 Dickholmer, custom color Seeblau L360
63 1500 Notch, og paint Rubin Rot L456
67 1500 Käfer, og paint Lotus weiß L282 w/red interior
Okie Adam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Adam's 1955 Wolfsburg Semaphore Kombi Build Reply with quote

Mr. OGPaint wrote:
Okie Adam wrote:
Mr. OGPaint wrote:

Cool! Probably an American spec bus made just before bullet turnsignal were introduced.

I agree however my plan is to run euro headlight buckets with fluted lenses and an early KM speedo I acquired years ago.

djfordmanjack wrote:
cool project!
I have an April 55 36hp 20-****** engine, just in case, pm.

Oh, that's tempting! A correct 20- motor doesn't come along often.
62 Single Cab
66 21window
67 so42
76 Westy
64 Karmann Ghia
Okie Adam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: Adam's 1955 Wolfsburg Semaphore Kombi Build Reply with quote

I am amazed sometimes thinking about the buses that used to be cut up. This bus got its fair share of cuts but the most odd one to me is by far the removal of the roof bows. Luckily the roof didn't receive much damage during the removal and the roof survived for years afterwards.

I got some donors cleaned up and ready to install.

The worst part about this and probably the saddest is that two original stationary windows from the driver's side got splattered with sparks and slag from the removal.
62 Single Cab
66 21window
67 so42
76 Westy
64 Karmann Ghia
Travis Woodard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Adam's 1955 Wolfsburg Semaphore Kombi Build Reply with quote

It’s crazy to me to think someone was using a 55 Kombi for a parts bus. Even 10 years ago it’s hard for me to believe that.

59 mango

69 bay deluxe bay

66 beetle
Okie Adam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: Adam's 1955 Wolfsburg Semaphore Kombi Build Reply with quote

It's been a little bit since I had an update but this past weekend I made some progress. There were some measurements that seemed off to me on my bus and before I put in the rear corner I wanted to find out what was what. Travis drove the church bus over to my place so I could measure another Wolfsburg Bus. It's always nice to have him for a visit and I appreciate the 2 hour drive he made because it cleared up a bunch of stuff. It was good to have these two buses together too. Pretty cool!

My apron mounts told the tale. They were almost an inch closer together than his. The hunt was on to find the discrepancy. The driver's side corner has signs of filler but after some investigating it looks more like that corner has been off before. Things started standing out at this point that weren't quite right. Something had either come loose, was put together incorrectly, or had been hit and knocked out of place again. No matter, it has to be fixed so I took pics and noted measurements off Travis' bus before he headed home. The triangle support is probably going to have to come out but for now I am going to get the passenger side firmed up so I have a solid point of reference.

So back at the passenger side, I was pleased to find, after measuring Travis' bus, that the fitting I'd done on the corner was spot on! So next on the list, I started fitting the battery tray in. There's still some trimming to do on the inside edge. The bus is supposed to have a one piece battery tray/engine surround so I will butt weld the two pieces and grind it smooth.

I'm ready to get the donor lower corner cut and fit but I ran out of daylight.

It doesn't look a lot different at the end of the day but I know all I accomplished and it feels good!
62 Single Cab
66 21window
67 so42
76 Westy
64 Karmann Ghia
andre b
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: Adam's 1955 Wolfsburg Semaphore Kombi Build Reply with quote

what kind of tires are those?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Okie Adam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Adam's 1955 Wolfsburg Semaphore Kombi Build Reply with quote

andre b wrote:
what kind of tires are those?

They are just some bias ply rollers I got for free a while back and put on there. They are 7.00-15 and it'll hardly turn up front without hitting the body. I wish they fit better because I think they look great on there! I plan on putting 6.70-15 on there when the time comes.
62 Single Cab
66 21window
67 so42
76 Westy
64 Karmann Ghia
andre b
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Adam's 1955 Wolfsburg Semaphore Kombi Build Reply with quote

if you go with a 670..look up Power Kings bias plys...there cheep and a stiff side wall for light trucks,,,good luck
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: