Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How to heat front of AC van after swap
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:06 pm    Post subject: How to heat front of AC van after swap Reply with quote

Ok so its finally approaching winter here in the desert. Really only after the sun goes down. Either way I need to figure out how to heat the front of my formerly air cooled vanagon now that I have a subaru engine in the back. Im pretty sure Im going to pull the dash and install the system used on stock waterboxer vans. Whos got some experience w this. Is it just a matter of hoses and core exchange and blocking off a few air channels?

Anyone w experience on this project? Id love to hear some details of your solution.

-------------------------------------------------------
85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
64, 71, 72, 73, 76, 81, 84, 85 & 87 Campmobiles and Westfalias
and a 67 bug.
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: How to heat front of A/C van after swap Reply with quote

From what I see of the diagrams in the bible the two assemblies (water and air cooled) look the same w the exception of a heat exchanger to contain the fluid. Is there anyone out there on the interwebs who has seen both heating systems?
This might be time to have a pizza delivered to the local shop with a list of Qs. Or call one of the specialized junk yards..

Upon further examination there appears to be a flap housing in the AC model. Is it poss the flapper housing insert is withdrawn and the heat exchanger just slide in? Dear Lord that would be wicked righteous.

85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
and a 67 bug.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: How to heat front of A/C van after swap Reply with quote

for my 1st year I just installed a heater under the back seat and blew it forwards.
it was great enough after having 0 heat and we don't drive in the winter/snow..

but yes the front heater box is the same aircooled and H2o. there's knock outs for the coolant lines..
unless.. it's like mine which was a base model air cooled and the front dash box didn't come with a fan.. if you have a defog fan switch up front.. you likely have the normal AC box which can have a core added..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: How to heat front of A/C van after swap Reply with quote

Put a water pumper heater box in.

I had an extra 86 that I gave to a fellow Jersey boy when he did his swap a year or two ago.

You can plumb in a heater core into the Air Cooled box but I've no details on doing so.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: How to heat front of A/C van after swap Reply with quote

If it is a simple as slipping in a heater core, I just noticed CIP 1 has vanagon heater cores on sale. No affiliation.http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCod...newsletter

It makes sense that during production the housings at one point might have been similar.
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: How to heat front of A/C van after swap Reply with quote

Well the housings are similar Very Happy But still a bit different Mad

There are flaps on the AC heater box that dont appear in any youtube or bens place photo and appear to be in the way of the core going in. They control the air flow obviously. It looks like the later box is just a bit diff. The punchouts are deff there but this issue w the flaps may be a deal breaker.

whatcha think folks?

Any ideas off hand?

Ive got a few water pumper heater boxes i've found around the country. Probably headed that way. Unfortunately Ill likely be riding my bike to work this week. LOL
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
and a 67 bug.
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: How to heat front of A/C van after swap Reply with quote

Might have to cut the tail end of these flaps off and see if the core fits and flaps still flap. The cheapest heater core yet is $225.

Whats w all these flaps and the ones you dont have control over?

Ive read a bunch of threads discussing the fresh air flaps or what have you and now I see the issue. Do these babies just hang open? No control over them? Sure seems to negate the heat. Yup Ive heard this before.

85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
and a 67 bug.
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: How to heat front of A/C van after swap Reply with quote

The heater core fits like a glove. Just like OJs glove in that it's a whee bit too small. It's obviously made to fit and accommodate the core in a diesel van. I need to find something to fur out the box so the core is in there snug. I've got it in and closed the box and shook it up and the thing rattles like crazy. The last thing I need is one more rattling object. I've got my share.

85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
and a 67 bug.

Last edited by AZ Landshaper on Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: How to heat front of A/C van after swap Reply with quote

Felt or foam tape all around the perimeter should stop the rattles...

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: How to heat front of A/C van after swap Reply with quote

After connecting the aircooled vanagon heater to a battery I realized its not gonna heat the van like I need. Heat was minimal and the doors were not directing air flow as needed.
I decided t buy a heater box from a salvage co.
The box I got is from an 84 vanagon. Its got three levers but only two cables attached. Where does the third level/ cable attach. The one thats missing is the middle or hot and cold lever. Where is the lever (on the box) that coincides with the hot and cold controls?

85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
and a 67 bug.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: How to heat front of A/C van after swap Reply with quote

If you can find a heater box off a later year model VW had redesigned it so heat comes out the dash air vents by your knee...big improvement for heating!
You might as well get the best you can get!
I do not know which year they did that, the answer would be in one of the heater box rebuild threads.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.

Last edited by Steve M. on Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: How to heat front of A/C van after swap Reply with quote

already have the 84 model. It appears to be one of those. You either get defrost or knee level. Not a concern at the min. Need to locate the hot and cold lever on the box or where? may become more obvious tomorrow but not sure whats up as of now.

85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
and a 67 bug.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: How to heat front of A/C van after swap Reply with quote

Hot and Cold lever is not connected to the box. The cable connects to the coolant valve.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: How to heat front of A/C van after swap Reply with quote

The coolant valve is located above the spare tire in a water pumper.

Some have moved them into the Van on the right side of the heater box.
The downside to this is that they are failure prone and if/when it leaks, there goes your carpet and padding!

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: How to heat front of AC van after swap Reply with quote

I installed the 84 heater box into my 81 westy (in record time)and the heat is better than I imagined. Real warm.
Complications included the extra cables from the old heater boxes and the plastic elbow that delivers air to the drivers side vents ( not found in AC vans). But in the end it's all good and warm.

Left Tucson last night w heat running. Headed
For the Mogollon Rim where heat will be a must.

Props to the guys at Fast in LA for sending me the box and all hoses and knobs and screws and other stuff I wasn't aware I would need. Rolling Eyes

85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
and a 67 bug.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: