Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Things your van did recently
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 54, 55, 56 ... 87, 88, 89  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nesurfer99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Got me home from Tucson, Az to Fernandina Beach, FL in four days of driving.

Central Texas is getting cold and man, there is a lot of police presence on route 6 in Texas, especially west of Waco! Clever officers there park on the outskirts of town and catch you as you're speeding up on the way out of town. Got a warning in Iredell for doing 58 in a 50 zone, but of course he nailed me about 10 yards from the 65 speed limit sign. Same thing happened to me in Lake George several years back and cost me $200. When will I learn?

No repeat of CV failures I had on the way out Smile
BCE56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Returned a couple days ago from my yearly road trip thru the Mountain States- SoCal>AZ>NM>CO>AZ>Home.
Weather was good this year- temps between 22 and 104 degrees. Had a light dusting of snow one night at my cousin's place in CO. Got lucky with winds this time. I usually encounter nasty headwinds on 160 between Four Corners and 89 S to Flagstaff. Syncro hates the wind.
Good eats at the Galaxy Diner in Flagstaff, Tequila's in Trinidad, the Junction Restaurant in Pagosa Springs and the Outpost Cafe at Joshua St on I 15.
Best segment was 160 from Walsenburg, Wolf Creek Pass, the beautiful Pagosa Valley, Durango and Cortez.
Worst part was downhill on I 15 to Corona- heavy smoke from the wildfires, and the usual heavy traffic on 91 toward the Beach Cities.
Syncro never missed a beat, it purred like a kitten mile after mile.
2400 miles round trip, avg MPG 22.3 on Regular. I can usually get about 340 miles between fill-ups. Best tank this trip was 410, 23.7 mpg. Gas prices were $2.39-2.59 thru AZ, NM and CO, $3.79(!) in Seligman and $2.79 in Barstow.
I cruised at 3000-3400 rpm, 60-70 mph on the interstates, downshifted at 2400 when pulling long mtn. passes. Ran those at about 4500, say 50 mph.
I was interested to see how recent service would affect coolant temps. (Bypassed rear heater, replaced heater hoses and fixed 2 small leaks.)
The temp. gage never fluctuated more than a needle's width under any conditions. EXCEPT when rolling downhill after cresting a mountain pass in top gear, needle would dip below normal. Baffling.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'86 Syncro tintop
EJ22, OBD II early SC adapter plate conversion

Side project: '69 Frankenbug "It's alive!"

Last edited by BCE56 on Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:48 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Quote:
Baffling...

I've had similar experiences & rationalized it thus:

Given:
- lower ambient temps at higher altitude...
- coasting downhill generates less heat than pushing uphill...
- electrical gauge sender reacts faster than mechanical thermostat...

Seems reasonable to me... <shrug> Wink

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
BCE56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

[/quote]I've had similar experiences & rationalized it thus: [/quote]

I was thinking maybe some issue with the Subie swap done by the previous owner.
Suspects include sticky thermostat, coolant manifold/plumbing, temp sender location. Since repairing the two small leaks recently, issue has improved as air in the system is no longer present.
I have looked at various cooling system schematics but have not reached a conclusion.
At any rate I am more concerned with high temps than low, and the low temps return to normal within a couple of miles.

'86 Syncro tintop
EJ22, OBD II early SC adapter plate conversion

Side project: '69 Frankenbug "It's alive!"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

It happens with Digijet and Digifant, too. With fuel injected engines, going down hill on over-run the injectors are shut off completely. So the engine is pulling cold air through the induction system and across the valves and pistons at the same time as the water pump is spinning 3500rpm and movong all the heat to the radiator.

Going down long grades can get mighty chilly in the winter!!
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wheatenwestie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Moonraker took the gf and I from central WA down to Astoria, OR for a couple days of beach fun!
Seamoar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Our rolling dog bed took the pup to the beach.

Weezyissuperfast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Hauled a jolly load!
bsrad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

BCE56 wrote:
Returned a couple days ago from my yearly road trip thru the Mountain States- SoCal>AZ>NM>CO>AZ>Home.
Weather was good this year- temps between 22 and 104 degrees. Had a light dusting of snow one night at my cousin's place in CO. Got lucky with winds this time. I usually encounter nasty headwinds on 160 between Four Corners and 89 S to Flagstaff. Syncro hates the wind.
Good eats at the Galaxy Diner in Flagstaff, Tequila's in Trinidad, the Junction Restaurant in Pagosa Springs and the Outpost Cafe at Joshua St on I 15.
Best segment was 160 from Walsenburg, Wolf Creek Pass, the beautiful Pagosa Valley, Durango and Cortez.
Worst part was downhill on I 15 to Corona- heavy smoke from the wildfires, and the usual heavy traffic on 91 toward the Beach Cities.
Syncro never missed a beat, it purred like a kitten mile after mile.
2400 miles round trip, avg MPG 22.3 on Regular. I can usually get about 340 miles between fill-ups. Best tank this trip was 410, 23.7 mpg. Gas prices were $2.39-2.59 thru AZ, NM and CO, $3.79(!) in Seligman and $2.79 in Barstow.
I cruised at 3000-3400 rpm, 60-70 mph on the interstates, downshifted at 2400 when pulling long mtn. passes. Ran those at about 4500, say 50 mph.
I was interested to see how recent service would affect coolant temps. (Bypassed rear heater, replaced heater hoses and fixed 2 small leaks.)
The temp. gage never fluctuated more than a needle's width under any conditions. EXCEPT when rolling downhill after cresting a mountain pass in top gear, needle would dip below normal. Baffling.

Hey BCE56... What motor you running? I wish I could get my mileage into the 20’s.

-----------

1987 Syncro Westy
1967 OG Single Cab
1976 FJ40
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Seamoar wrote:

Nice looking dog!
stinkyrodent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
Seamoar wrote:

Nice looking dog!

Absolutely adorable!
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Enjoyed the snow in Okanagon, WA...

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Errand to the Electric motor place; 300# motor for my elevator! When I get this re-installed, I can move some of my engines!!

Mussolini
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Recently my van blew the seals in the transaxle leaking all my ATF in the differential. Since repairs, I now find a different breed of concerns. First I noticed the difficulty shifting out of first...even while the weather was somewhat warm. Now we are idling much too high and stalling out as upon pressing the accelerator. Could this be from the shop using synthetic diff fluid? Poor fuel filter? Quite honestly members of Samba...I am seldom confused with a mechanic. Any thoughts?
Jamo7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Even if I jinx it, I just gotta say it...
Its running so nicely! On Sunday it took us to the beach at Fort Ebey on Whidbey Island- a rare sunny winter day overlooking Puget Sound and the Strait of Juan de Fuca. Then on Monday it took us up to go cross country skiing at Snoqualimie Pass.
Crazy! I'll just enjoy it while it lasts...
James
WestfaliaMike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Worked on a few things over the past months, took then ol’girl to a local park to try things out for an over night..

campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

During our recent wind-induced power outage, the Westy helped us make a hot breakfast before I dragged out the generator and got it going. Very handy.
WestfaliaMike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

campism wrote:
During our recent wind-induced power outage, the Westy helped us make a hot breakfast before I dragged out the generator and got it going. Very handy.
almost had to do the same thing
JCTahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Sometimes the VW is the quietest room in the house. The kids were home due to snow days and I had to get some work done. Pretty rad working in the van under the deck as a blizzard raged outside!

VW's from my past:
72 Bay
79 Campmobile
81 Vanagon
bobhill8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Got out for an overnight with the dog last night. Couple of fresh inches in the morning for some great XC skiing.

Hancock Campground, White Mountains, NH
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 54, 55, 56 ... 87, 88, 89  Next
Jump to:
Page 55 of 89

Jump to: