Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

68 baja build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bikesndbugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:27 am    Post subject: Re: 68 baja build Reply with quote

cbeck wrote:
Did your insurance co come inspect your bug yet?

Gotta bring it to them by the end if the month. And the goal is to go to a car show the 19th with it so tight deadlines.

I'm thinking get blinkers working and as long as lights works it should be fine. I'm not sure what the inspection will consist of. If its a full or just look at my Speedo because I replaced it so the mileage changed
bikesndbugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 baja build Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Mounted th seats today its really tight I planned on having them adjustable but to do that will be really time consuming. Used angle Iron welded to cage then flat stock bolted through seat mounts and angle iron
bikesndbugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 baja build Reply with quote

Got the shock mounts on aq inch 120 wall tied into the upper tube and braced across itself.
Flip forward fiberglass mounted with the same latches as that are common on the 3 pieces.
Gonna put a sheet right behind the gas tank and try to seal it to the fiberglass.
bikesndbugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:48 am    Post subject: Re: 68 baja build Reply with quote

Took it for a test ride today. Everything seems to be working nicely. My alignment is way out. And my rear is sagging a lot. Like it has no camber looks like no lift in rear. Idk what it is maybe the extra weight. Or wider tires. Anyways gonna turn up the torsion some more. I have 68 so it has soft tosions stock. Not sure If munr6are stock but that could explain some.

Ended up spending a lot of time putting the spring plate covers back on and trying to get the front arms on as my droop stop wouldn't allow the arm to match the leaf angle
bikesndbugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: 68 baja build Reply with quote

Its about time for a motor
Ive got a set of kadrons and a nice tri mill stinger.
Trying to keep it cheep what motor combo should I go with?
pullstart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 baja build Reply with quote

Are you building an engine? If keeping it cheap, I'd say look for a complete one...

my build page: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=662104&start=0
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bikesndbugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 baja build Reply with quote

A friend of mine used to own a buggy shop I think he will help me if not ill Probobly be building it myself or find other to help. I wanna do more than just a basic 1600 dp as that's what's in it now. He said he could get parts for around 400 bucks. I've got about 1500 to spend if needed I can go a bit more but preferably a bit less
bikesndbugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 baja build Reply with quote

picked up a 1600 sp put doghouse cooling on it.
new clutch

26mm torsions on

now im on to getting my seat mounts changed

currently have 2 inch angle welded on top of tubes connecting the outer floor tubes too the pan.
then plate from the angle to the seats.

this design sits too low and doesn't have sliders so i need some ideas on how to mount them.

preferably with sliders.

pictures of cage mounted seats would be appreciated or just general ideas
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 baja build Reply with quote

show the mounts you have now Travis. Hard to recommend what to change to when we don't know what is there.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bikesndbugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 baja build Reply with quote

motor got sent to the mechanics.
getting cleaned up and getting all the parts
then back to my house to rebuild it.

going 1600 single port as i had some either fresh rebuild or never used single port heads.
with a counter weighted crank, a rather large cam, solid rocker shafts and a valve spring upgrade of some sort.

also going a little higher compression.

solved the seat mounts in my head so that just needs to get done now.

the steering column needs attention. not sure what to do yet or how to mount it. i may just u bolt it through the dash for the time being so it wont pull off the dash
bikesndbugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 baja build Reply with quote

Found out my drivers spindle is bent about 10 degrees positive camber. So gotta replace that.
I've got a deal wh where I can get wright baby combos for cheap. Of course that is the better option but what's different and what would I have to do.

He says they are a bit different from standard combos because they are baby combos. Anyone know anything about these.
pullstart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: 68 baja build Reply with quote

ask the supplier? bring a stocker and some calipers for side by side comparison? Namely link pin size, any built in camber (my combos have camber I can't shim any different), tie rod and bearing size...

my build page: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=662104&start=0
bikesndbugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: 68 baja build Reply with quote

Tie rods are international.
Not sure about camber.
tobiism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: 68 baja build Reply with quote

bikesndbugs wrote:
motor got sent to the mechanics.
getting cleaned up and getting all the parts
then back to my house to rebuild it.

going 1600 single port as i had some either fresh rebuild or never used single port heads.
with a counter weighted crank, a rather large cam, solid rocker shafts and a valve spring upgrade of some sort.

also going a little higher compression.

solved the seat mounts in my head so that just needs to get done now.

the steering column needs attention. not sure what to do yet or how to mount it. i may just u bolt it through the dash for the time being so it wont pull off the dash

I have a 1641 singleport built by FAT Performance in my baja and it runs pretty strong. I think you'll be happy. Hope they aren't going too big on the cam.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 baja build Reply with quote

Yeah, what cam is it?

The pair of spindles..."baby combos" ... Question Question Question

Somebody doesn't know what they're talking about. There are regular combos and there are "King Kong" combos. Some combos are designed for 0° camber. Some are designed for 2° negative camber and some for more.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
bikesndbugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 baja build Reply with quote

Cam I don't think it'll be too big I forget what can I'll let you guys know when I get the card.

Car drives better than ever right now and the spindles were seen on shoptalk.
Dusty had said they were really old school Wright combos.

And I added billstiens to the rear of the car.
Thicker rear skidplayes and added a front.

I need trans straps ant feelings on these what style is best?
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:27 am    Post subject: Re: 68 baja build Reply with quote

Front trans strap is a personal preference deal.

I generally make my own with a pair of flat strap (3/16" x 1.5") horseshoes to weld onto the yokes for mount studs. With a HF bar bender they're pretty EZ.

For about $30 you can buy pre-made ones from EMPI...The only game in town now and some of 'em fit like what my dog left in the back yard. If you use the EMPI long bolt through the yoke style, be damned sure to watch out for the fuel line inside the left yoke and the e-brake cable tubes in both yokes. Then weld the head of the bolt and around where it sticks out the top of the yoke so the yokes don't break right at the holes like my original ones did in my '65 Baja back in the 1970s. Or better, weld in a 3/4" OD tube (.120 wall at least) for the bolt to pass through.
SoCalBajas Member
bikesndbugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: 68 baja build Reply with quote

Picked up the empi one it's gonna be a pain to get on.
Went back to the pict34 it's a bit lean but runs won't idle but there's no popping gonna try to get it jetted today.

Tires
I've got
2 31×10.5
2 235/75
2 215/75
2 165r15

What's the best for stock tranny
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 baja build Reply with quote

bikesndbugs wrote:

Tires
I've got
2 31×10.5
2 235/75
2 215/75
2 165r15

What's the best for stock tranny

The engine will be happiest with the 165s. but the bottom of the car will not be happy. The old black & white pic of my '58 Baja in the air it had 215s on the back. With long axle swing axles the tires were the bump stops. Bigger tires limit the travel more. With IRS, you have more room for tires as the tires don't swing in so much at the top over bumps. 235s would probably be the best compromise.
SoCalBajas Member
bikesndbugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 baja build Reply with quote

went with 235 rear 215 front.

soon im gonna get those tires on the more offset steel wheels

bent my passenger tie rod.

considering going full heim rack and pinion and combos
or doing another stock one just gusseted.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: