Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Can't keep her straight...
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:09 am    Post subject: Re: Can't keep her straight... Reply with quote

As you add caster shims, make sure that you get longer lower bolts as well.
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
legotech7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Can't keep her straight... Reply with quote

My supply guy is out for the thanks giving holiday, so I have to wait till the weekend. and hope it will solve my handling woes.....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Can't keep her straight... Reply with quote

One shim should have been enough for what you have, but a second one wouldnt hurt. Still going back to the toe being off....
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
legotech7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Can't keep her straight... Reply with quote

I will check all variables. But not till the weekend at least..

I would like to thank everyone for all their input, and to wish all a very Happy Thanksgiving... I will post as soon as I can get to it...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Can't keep her straight... Reply with quote

Something else to remember is that adding shims behind the lower tube of the beam causes the beam to rotate slightly around the top tube of the beam. That is how caster is changed.

But that causes the alignment of the input shaft of the steering box to move with respect to the steering column. The resulting misalignment can cause binding of the steering column.

When you correct the steering box to steering column alignment (by rotating the steering box on the top tube), you change the toe.

So you gotta fix all that before you take the car in for its alignment.

Max
legotech7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Can't keep her straight... Reply with quote

Thanks Max Welton, duly noted.....
legotech7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Can't keep her straight... Reply with quote

Well, folks finally had chance to get under the car to check on my caster and toe. I added the extra shims to the beam, and did the toe in the front. It was out quite a bit especially the drivers side. It took me awhile but I got her as straight as possible using the string method. When I thought all looked nice and straight, I took her out for a ride. Wow, what a difference!. Nice and straight. She still bucks a bit, but I can drive her now with out too much worry. I will still get a proper alignment as soon as soon as I can, and I should be good to go.

My thanks to all of you for you input, I couldn't have done it otherwise...

Happy Holidays.....
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: