Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Distributor issue/question
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor issue/question Reply with quote

fes wrote:
Well If you say it always ran like crap,then you're kind of between a rock and a hard place as far as diagnosis goes.

Call me crazy,but maybe the PO was having same problems as you have,decided to buy a new carb,thinking it was the problem,didn't fix it and gave up..
You can never go wrong with a known,rebuilt and tested proper Solex from some of the suppliers like Volkbitz,He tests and tunes before sending it off..

IT is possible that that carb you have now is garbage..Chinese copy's are only as good as the young child getting paid dick all a day to put it together.some are better than others.

I am however,finding good results with the newer Empi pict 34-3s

The bold faced portion above is IMHO an irresponsible statement. The Chinese are more than capable of producing a very high quality product the problem is that WE are not willing to pay for that product, we want cheap cheap cheap. I have strong doubts that children are assembling carburetors. Show me a picture of this happening and I will change my opinion otherwise interweb drivel is just that.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor issue/question Reply with quote

I have to agree with Tim. Most VW people aren't willing to spend $200+ on a quality distributor.

So they make what the public want... Cheap crap.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hazmatty3614
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor issue/question Reply with quote

I just quit for the day. The motor will not turn over now. Cranks and cranks. Occasionally I hear a little pop while cranking. After it stalled on me when giving throttle that was it. Won’t turn over since.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor issue/question Reply with quote

Sounds like your engine is "cranking", as in "turning over". What it's not doing is "catching" or "firing'. That pop you hear usually indicates there is spark and fuel but may not be at the correct time or amount.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
hazmatty3614
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor issue/question Reply with quote

Yes correct. Weird. It was running ok at idle finally, then stalled. Now it won’t run.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: Distributor issue/question Reply with quote

tasb wrote:
fes wrote:
Well If you say it always ran like crap,then you're kind of between a rock and a hard place as far as diagnosis goes.

Call me crazy,but maybe the PO was having same problems as you have,decided to buy a new carb,thinking it was the problem,didn't fix it and gave up..
You can never go wrong with a known,rebuilt and tested proper Solex from some of the suppliers like Volkbitz,He tests and tunes before sending it off..

IT is possible that that carb you have now is garbage..Chinese copy's are only as good as the young child getting paid dick all a day to put it together.some are better than others.

The bold faced portion above is IMHO an irresponsible statement. The Chinese are more than capable of producing a very high quality product the problem is that WE are not willing to pay for that product, we want cheap cheap cheap. I have strong doubts that children are assembling carburetors. Show me a picture of this happening and I will change my opinion otherwise interweb drivel is just that.

You are 100% correct,this is a point I could have easily made without padding the stereotypical and perhaps myths of foreign suppliers..If that offends anyone then I apologize..

I,like many others,have been burned by the muse of "OE Quality" parts, I have helped out many who have said "oh no..can't be the fuel pump,or distributor,it's brand new!"
And I'ts not the manufacturer to blame..it's the company with their logo on it..which usually comes down to tender process that could be the difference in pennies to award the contract..and we all know this doesn't just apply to aftermarket VW gear either.

I have long stopped parading around lecturing people on "you get what you paid for"
It's just as simple to say "It's alright,you made a mistake,no big deal,we've all done it,lets move on and get it fixed"
It's the cheapo flippers that perpetuate the need for poor quality products that infuriates me though..Most people I know who love there cars and drive them regularly are more than happy to pay the extra $$ for known good parts,but this usually happens after they made the mistake of assuming because the faulty part was new,and had to be better than the old tired German part they replaced it with..

To the OP..
There is the possibility that there's issues with the carb..perhaps your last run of the engine presented the fact that now you have some fuel supply issues,
It may be time to pull the top of the carb off and have a look in the bowl,it maybe empty..sticking needle valve etc.

Please keep at it! and good luck
-Matt
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor issue/question Reply with quote

Quote:
Most people I know who love there cars and drive them regularly are more than happy to pay the extra $$ for known good parts,but this usually happens after they made the mistake of assuming because the faulty part was new,and had to be better than the old tired German part they replaced it with..

Wisdom. Gospel right there! Preach it brother.
....and people call fes crazy. shesh.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
fes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor issue/question Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:
Quote:
Most people I know who love there cars and drive them regularly are more than happy to pay the extra $$ for known good parts,but this usually happens after they made the mistake of assuming because the faulty part was new,and had to be better than the old tired German part they replaced it with..

Wisdom. Gospel right there! Preach it brother.
....and people call fes crazy. shesh.

HA! thanks for the vote of confidence c21darrel..I think Question Smile
I think there's one thing we can all agree on..that it takes a "special kind of crazy" to love,own and nurture ACVWs..I'm just happy to be committed to this asylum for as long as I can
hazmatty3614
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor issue/question Reply with quote

Advice via pm led me to check the valve positions and it appeared I was way out. I corrected it and timed it to 7.5 BTDC on the #1 cylinder.

I then observed my fuel tank was almost empty so I took the opportunity to replace the inline filter and the hose. I used a 3’ run of hose and moved the filter all the way to the left fender behind the battery.

I put 5 gallons in the tank and began to crank it and it was popping a little then the battery died. The filter only got to half full. I’m hoping after a charge I can crank it long enough to get the fuel line full and fire the engine.

So much tinkering. I just want it to run right!
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor issue/question Reply with quote

Don't worry about the level you see in the filter.

If you want to verify the carb is getting fuel you can check the fuel line after the pump.

If you just want the car to start spray some carb cleaner down the throat of the carb or a cap full of gas.

Many things can make it pop including timing and exhaust leak. You should at least be able to get it running.

Focus on one thing, check it, verify it, and then move on. The final item in your checklist should be the timing and carb adjustment.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
hazmatty3614
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Distributor issue/question Reply with quote

Over the weekend I re-seated the svda dist and removed and replaced all the wires. Static timed to 7.5* BTDC. It fired right up and idled ok at 1000rpm.

The issue remains that I must just barely press the accel pedal or it will stall. I got some good advice about getting the Chinese carb off and I believe I am going with an Empi 34 PICT 3.

I’m really hopeful that this will play nicely with my svda.

I’m afraid to drive the car with it stalling on take off.

Last edited by hazmatty3614 on Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Distributor issue/question Reply with quote

Sure sounds like a fuel problem.

Chinese carbs are suspect. I've found all sorts of crap in the fuel bowl right out of the box.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
hazmatty3614
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Distributor issue/question Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone who helped me out on this. Many messages about a carb issue. I'll replace it and report back.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Distributor issue/question Reply with quote

Buy a rebuilt from Tim.

http://www.volkzbitz.com/

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor issue/question Reply with quote

Quote:
I got some good advice about getting the Chinese carb off and I believe I am going with an Empi 34 PICT 3.

Some kids never learn. Crying or Very sad Confused

Quote:
Buy a rebuilt from Tim.

Quote:
Chinese carbs are suspect. I've found all sorts of crap in the fuel bowl right out of the box.

Quote:
Buy a restored distributor, rebuild your own, or have someone rebuild one for you.

Quote:
It can get expensive being new to aircooled VW's. In the future it wont get cheaper. Know this, Generally speaking, "New" parts do not often equal better than refurbished original parts. Sad but true. You know the biblical quote .... Teach a man to fish...
Do you have the Muir Idiot Book? That and researching here on thesamba will help you as much or more than the $150 visit to the "expert". Good Luck.

Quote:
There are some good new parts. There are better NOS parts. Just come and ask around here and folks can help you out.

[quote]Most people I know who love there cars and drive them regularly are more than happy to pay the extra $$ for known good parts,but this usually happens after they made the mistake of assuming because the faulty part was new,and had to be better than the old tired German part they replaced it with..

Quote:

Almost all the advice you got was to go with known quality and avoid chinese knock offs. EMPI 34-3 IS a Chinese knock off. You will need to completely disassemble, clean and rebuild before use...You need to have the knowledge to know what to look for and look out for. You will be money and miles ahead by contacting tim at volkzbitz. Good Luck either way. Very Happy
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
fes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor issue/question Reply with quote

I'm indifferent on Empi carbs for the most part..searches (Samba forums and others) show that Empi has really stepped up their game the last few years..
I absolutely love my HPMX 40's and researched reviews and talked to others before pulling the trigger..
EuroMax and the like, I'd stay away from for sure,which is probably what you have now..
I put a new rebuilt engine in a Beetle this summer for someone,He had a rebuild carb on his blown engine from Volksbitz..after the new install,The car ran like shit..why? ALOT of reasons.. None I can see is Tim's fault, just perhaps mismanagement from the car owner.

#1 The car sat for a year with regular gas,not stabilized
#2 The tank was so full of flaky rust at the outlet,made it's way down the line
#3 There was a small air leak at the dime sized blank at the rear of the carb..facing you right under the advance inlet..small dab of JB fixed that
#4 Cleaned the jets,cleaned crap out of the bowl
# Small chunk of bakelite insulation at the choke element was broken off inside,hindering the spring to work properly.
#5 Small air leak at base of carb
#6 Small air leak at silicone intake manifold boot (These suck literally)

Only after I completely dissembled the carb and ran it through a sonic cleaner bath a couple of times,did it get to at least 90% good running order..the internal idle circuit was probably dirty and varnished.

I took my trusty Mexican made Bocar off of my Bus and put the rebuilt/rebuilt Solex on there, It ran pretty good, but not as good as it did with my old Bocar..so there ya go..still not perfect,but I'll strip it again in the spring..

I don't know what the status of Bocar is these days, hit and miss..mine is 17 years old and bulletproof..

If this was my decision in your place,I'd say buyer beware in any case..The difference being if I did run into problems like I mentioned earlier (broken choke element etc.leaking blank, and I must reiterate!, that this likely happened after it was shipped) You can contact someone directly that makes it their business to ensure satisfaction..

I'm not sure where you're located OP Hazmatty3614,perhaps add the location to your avatar, but is there anyone in your VW community that you can beg,borrow or steal a known good pict-34 for a test before you start throwing money at a car that ran poorly even before you bought it?
-Good Luck!
-Matt
Paul70Ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor issue/question Reply with quote

Empi have obviously had quality issues judging by other posts but they're certainly not all bad. I fitted a 34 pict3 two years ago and, with minimal set up, it's run fine ever since. With a repro svda distributor it performs as well as I'd expect a standard engine to and averages about 40 mpg (imperial) which I'm more than happy with.
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor issue/question Reply with quote

Don't buy the EMPI carb.

Buy a rebuilt or Mexican Bocar.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: